Been a long time...

I

imported_etothepii

Well, I haven't posted in a very long time. I had switched from the quest to be bigger to the quest to be faster... that is, I started doing triathlons, or that was the plan. A bad crash on the bike caused a separated shoulder (all ligaments snapped). So I couldn't swim anymore. Instead I ran some duathlons, but biking was still a little difficult.

Since running was about the only activity I could do, I ended up training for, and running the Columbus marathon. Finished in 3:58:08.

But believe it or not, I gained a bunch of fat in training. Too much appetite, no restrictions on myself!

So now, over the winter, I want to build up my shoulder again, get back in the pool, and keep some of my running mileage up (it seems like a waste to drop from 35 miles/ week down to less than 10/week or something).

So if you like, help me brain storm some ideas on lifting to help my shoulder, keep endurance up, have time in the pool, drop some fat (diet - I know), and keep motivated.

Here are my resources:
Free weights in the garage
Indoor bike trainer
running outside in all but the coldest part of the winter
Nice, new home elliptical machine
Membership to the YMCA

Other considerations:
Looking to workout 6 days per week. I can run or bike before or after lifting. Very hard to combine swimming with any other activity, unless it's part of an A.M./P.M. routine. I certainly expect HST principles in the lifting portion.
smile.gif

Also, although my shoulder has healed well, the doc says dips and deadlifts would be horrible for me.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

<div>
(quadancer @ Oct. 23 2009,6:22)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Squats and milk  
biggrin.gif
</div>
NICE!!!!

i would just do two fullbody workouts a wk,mostly compounds and the rest is up to you cardio wise,any more IMO along with all that cardio would be counter productive.

<div>
(faz @ Oct. 26 2009,3:00)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">i would just do two fullbody workouts a wk,mostly compounds and the rest is up to you cardio wise,any more IMO along with all that cardio would be counter productive.</div>
The KISS approach I like. (Keep it simple stupid.)

I may have to do some iso's for my shoulder. Otherwise, I like just two full body workouts per week.

Back