Bench Press vs. negative Bench Press

choco

I have often read here that the negative Bench Press would be the better exercise for the chest.
Please describe why !

Greets
Choco
ghostface.gif

<div>
(choco @ Jul. 13 2007,07:10)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I have often read here that the negative Bench Press would be the better exercise for the chest.
Please describe why !

Greets
Choco  
ghostface.gif
</div>
i dont often use negatives,but i find them excellent for using more weight than i can handle(with a spotter of course)and taking it slow,.it has helped me break through some barriers,but not always.

i think that they are useful at the end of the 5's in my xp.

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Negative = decline? </div>

Eccentric portion only.

I've used them for reasons others use rack pulls... it gets me used to having a heavier weight than I can do a full rep with. Like Icars, helps me get through plateaus, though I haven't used them in quite some time.

Well if you are talking about using the negative only versus full bench, then I would say use full bench. You'd have to be stupid to replace full range bench press with negative only. But using them together, now that makes sense...

Negatives = Eccentrics, but for some reason I thought he was talking about decline bench.

Negatives at the tail end of a cycle usually promote some extra growth.

Yeah, I don't know what he means either. Decline would make more sense in context of his question.

Why bother with negative bench when negative dips are so much easier to perform?

Unless you really need to improve your bench in a hurry and have the luxury of two spotters it would seem that assisted negs for bench would be an easier option. That way you only need one spotter to assist you in raising the load which you then lower unassisted. You obviously can't train higher than your 1RM this way though without hitting failure really quickly. Using your 2RM this way should allow you to get a handful of reps before you are unable to help your spotter enough to get the bar reracked. Try to stop before that happens.
smile.gif

I feel that a better option is to do MaxStim for bench once you get to the end of the 5s using your 3RM and do some neg work for chest with dips.

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Negatives = Eccentrics, but for some reason I thought he was talking about decline bench.

Negatives at the tail end of a cycle usually promote some extra growth.</div>

Yes sorry ! i was talking about decline and not negatives !!
Here look:
sdb51.jpg

ahhh.....now i get it.i think its the best chest exercise there is except perhaps for weighted dips.ive found that they also work the whole chest including my upper chest which seems a little counterintuative.where as incline for instance really does only work the upper chest.

ive tried barbell a couple of times but does feel a little unnatural,so i always go with dumbells.

For comaprative purposes, a chart of EMG measurements shows this:

(EMG measures the electrical response of muscle tissue)

Muscle Measured - Pectoralis Major

Decline Dumbbell Bench Press - 93
Decline Bench Press (Olympic Bar) - 89
Push-ups Between Benches - 88
Flat Dumbbell Bench Press - 87
Flat Bench Press(Olympic Bar) - 85
Flat Dumbbell Flys - 84

Muscle Measured - Pectoralis Minor

Incline Dumbbell Bench Press - 91
Incline Bench Press (Olympic Bar) - 85
Incline Dumbbell Flys - 83
Incline Bench Press (Smith Machine) - 81

In terms of activation Icars is correct, I'll include the whole file attached

Cool spreadsheet Fausto, thanks for sharing!

Is there anything similar for forearms, gluts, and abs?

I'd be curious to see the levels for biceps/triceps and forearms during the compound lifts (in addition to what is already in the spreadsheet).

Colby

I have donme that mix before and it was going great, just did not like to do declines with a bar, must try the d/b variety!

Java

I wish I could find a better chart, but haven't seen one with other exercises that are missing and there are lots missing, if anyone ever has such a jewel, please be a darling
biggrin.gif
a post it for us
wink.gif

<div>
(javacody @ Jul. 17 2007,17:41)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Cool spreadsheet Fausto, thanks for sharing!

Is there anything similar for forearms, gluts, and abs?

I'd be curious to see the levels for biceps/triceps and forearms during the compound lifts (in addition to what is already in the spreadsheet).</div>
Lats

Bent over barbell rows - 93%
One arm dumbbell rows - 91%
T-bar rows - 89%
Lat pulldown - 86%
Seated pulley rows - 83%

Side Delts

Incline dumbbell side laterals - 66%
Standing dumbbell side laterals - 63%
Seated dumbbell side laterals - 62%
Cable side laterals - 47%

Rear Delts

Standing dumbbell bent laterals - 85%
Seated dumbbell laterals - 83%
Standing cable bent laterals - 77%
Same as with side delts.

Calves

Donkey calf raise - 80%
Standing one-leg calf raises - 79%
Standing two-leg calf raises - 68%
Seated calf raises - 61%

Hamstrings

Standing leg curls - 82%
Lying leg curls - 71%
Seated leg curls - 58%
Sitff-legged-deadlift - 56%

these(i think)go with fausto,s figures above.how accurate they is open to some debate,but in terms of effort weight used i would imagine they arent far off.

@colby,if you dont do weight dips for chest,decline dumbell is the next best thing,it is an excellent exercise and incorperates all of the chest not just the lower portion.

I am taking time off from dips until I join a suitable gym. I may incorporate decline and incline in my next cycle which will be posted very soon.

In both of those percentage charts, how do those correlate to hypertrophy or strength?  For instance, does that put decline db press at the top for hypertrophy for your pecs?  Or is load still the most important factor in terms of growth.

Gator

To me the chart simply spells which exercises are the most efficient at engaging the biggest amount of muscles fibres as translated by the electical response!

<div>
(UFGatorDude30 @ Jul. 19 2007,03:32)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">In both of those percentage charts, how do those correlate to hypertrophy or strength?  For instance, does that put decline db press at the top for hypertrophy for your pecs?  Or is load still the most important factor in terms of growth.</div>
iEMG just shows electrical activity within a generalised muscle area, it cannot show what is best for hypertrophy or strength.

It also cannot show what happens in terms fo activity under different loading conditions.

Back