Best hamstring exercise?

Sci

I haven't been doing any hamstring work directly, partly because they are a strong point, and partly because I have horribly tight hamstrings.
Anyway I have been thinking of doing some seated leg curls or Romanian deadlifts. Now that I go to a huge commercial gym, the options are wide open.

Whats the best hamstring exercise in your opinion?

If you can use a GHD machine, give that a go. The machine can be used in different ways so check out some vids to see how to use it best for hammies. I like RDLs and SLDLs but if I was doing regular deads and had access to a GHD machine, I'd use that.

If i could only do one exercise for your hamstrings then I would go with Wide Stance Box Squats. This targets both functions of the Hamstring, to flex the knee and extend the hip. If I could pick two exercises then the combination of Glute Ham Raises and SLDLs.

I tried several today.

•Romanian deadlifts were great, but I am not flexible enough for these, and feel way too much in my lower back.

•Glute-ham-raises. Awkward, felt good on hamstrings, but not enough stretch. Difficult to setup and add weight.

•Tried several leg curl machines. Best by far was the Atlantis seated leg curl machine. It supports the back, gets a good stretch of the hamstrings and has a pin selector for quick and easy load progression. I can see why Bryan Haycock likes leg curls. I always thought they look dumb, and never tried them, since I used to workout with free-weights only. Actually now I am doing my whole leg workout on Atlantis machines. Atlantis Leg Press Sled, Atlantis standing calf raise, and Atlantis seated leg curl.

IMG_0736.jpgIMG_0737.jpg

I think leg curls are really good. I don't do much resistance work for my legs these days, they're large and strong enough, and I do a lot of activity and sports so keeping them 'strong enough' is where I'm at, as opposed to hypertrophy.

However, I used to do a LOT of lower body work, as much as upper body, and I've never had any problem with them. I've only used the lying-flat machines, but when you can adjust the weight, angle and placement of your body it's hard to find any complaints. Something I also like is that when the stack becomes too light, you can switch to single leg movements.

Back