blade ?

kinney1

can you get results by increasing the weight every week, or lets say 6 times during the cycle? i read the faq, but i am still unclear on this subject. thanks....also, as far as chin ups, do you start with 15 negatives and go to 5 regular chin ups?

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]can you get results by increasing the weight every week, or lets say 6 times during the cycle?

yes. but you need to understand the following concept:

the growth response you get from using a weight is reduced every time you use that weight. So monday you sart with a new weight which will give growth stimulus. wednesday using the same weight will give a lesser growth stimulus, and by friday that weight may not give much growth stimulus at all.

It is hard for us to predict exactly how long you can use a weight for before it becomes 'useless'. Generally, the lighter the weight, the more quickly the weight will become 'useless'. So on this forum, we generally use a rule of thumb. During 15s and early 10s, you should increase the weight every session. During the second week of 10s and during the 5s you can (if you wish) use the same weight for 2 sessions.

So to answer your question, yes you will grow from increasing the weight once every week, but you might not grow as quickely as you could if you were increasing the weight every session.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]as far as chin ups, do you start with 15 negatives and go to 5 regular chin ups?

no. if you were to do that, you would not increase the load at all during the cycle. Significant load progression is the key to muscle growth! That cannot be emphasised enough. (Another rule of thumb used here is to use 5% of your 5RM as your increment. 5% of your 5RM is considered a 'significant load progression'. )

If you can do 15+ reps of bodyweight chins, then you should i add weight for 10s and 5s.

If you cannot do 15+ reps of bodyweight chins, then i suggest using a lat pulldown machine for the cycle, increasing the weight used every session.

generally, it is advisable to use the HST calculator. all you need to do is plug in your 15, 10 and 5 rep maxes. Insert the increment (5% of your 5RM rounded DOWN to the nearest useable/practical plate avaliable in the gym) and it will tell you exactly how to proceed!

thanks stevie.... i lift at home and don't have a lat pulldown. i have a pullup/dip station. any osuggestion on how i coul proceed with the chins?

good answers stevie.
thumbs-up.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (kinney1 @ Oct. 01 2003,4:25)]thanks stevie.... i lift at home and don't have a lat pulldown. i have a pullup/dip station. any osuggestion on how i coul proceed with the chins?
If you have dumbells you could try rows....

Back