bottles or packets

Bryan Haycock

Administrator
Staff member
I've got a couple MRPs in the works and I was wondering what type of packaging you preferred... There are pros and cons to both. Let me know what you think!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Steve McDermott @ April 29 2003,3:08)]Bottles definitely. I can always package up the powder in small containers to go. Can't wait to try them.
ditto.

the only thought is that packets might have a more marketable appeal to laypeople though...maybe.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (mikeynov @ April 29 2003,1:28)]
wow.gif
8-->
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Steve McDermott @ April 29 2003,3
wow.gif
8)]Bottles definitely. I can always package up the powder in small containers to go. Can't wait to try them.
ditto.
the only thought is that packets might have a more marketable appeal to laypeople though...maybe.
I've been advised by some who have a great deal experience working for some of the biggest supplement companies out there that packets are a must, or else "laypeople" won't accept them as a meal replacement, as opposed to just a protein powder.

Still, it reeks of having a company tell the customer what they want, rather than having the customer tell the company what they want. I want HSN to always serve the customer, rather than the other way around.

I guess that no matter what we prefer, and no matter what others tell you, you should probably choose the packaging that sells better. Most online stores have a list with their top-10 products, so if the market says 'packets' then it's a no-brainer.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I guess that no matter what we prefer, and no matter what others tell you, you should probably choose the packaging that sells better. Most online stores have a list with their top-10 products, so if the market says 'packets' then it's a no-brainer.

very true.
although i would prefer a more economical bottled product, you have to go with what will sell more. Unfortunately at this early stage of your buisness, you dont really have a choice.

(just out of interest, why would it be only a 2lb tub? that wouldnt last very long as a 'meal replacement'.)

Any estimates on what the price differences would be?

Either way would be fine to me, but I lean towards cheaper, which I assume is the bottle.

For me, it's the bottle for economy and storage space.

But I know a lot of people for whom the convenience factor is more important. . . people prefer bringing a packet to work and not having to measure anything.

Don't some companies do both?

Packets for the less informed and jugs for those who care to read the labels.

Seems like I have seen a company or two do it this way, but I cannot remember who....Optimum, maybe?

Is that feasible for you?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Lil Popa Pump @ May 08 2003,1:55)]Don't some companies do both?
Packets for the less informed and jugs for those who care to read the labels.
Seems like I have seen a company or two do it this way, but I cannot remember who....Optimum, maybe?
Is that feasible for you?
Yeah, I think it’s feasible. Maybe not right at the beginning, but later I think it would. I will probably go with bottles at first...seems to be what you guys would like. Then packets later just for convenience. Packets cost quite a bit more to produce simply because of the extra packaging involved.

Got any insight as to what some of the ingredients would be?

I like what Micellean and ProMatrix (?) have tried to do with using oatmeal, brown rice, etc. as part of their carb source.

I dont think that those used as a source in a MRP will make much difference. I am suspectign they are trying for a the low GI, complex idea, but once the carb has been extremely fine ground during processing, GI goes up anyway.

They will be MRP versions of Primer and Driver...so Prime+ will have the same proteins but will also include simple carbs as well as vitamins/minerals. The Drive+ will have the same slow proteins as Driver but will also have complex carbs, vit/minerals, and a bit of omega-3s.

worship.gif
There are advantages to having MRP'S packaged in bottles and in packets. The packets make it easier to dose a premeasured amount on the go, especially for those who travel frequently. However, if I like the product I'd take the time to measure/package individual servings to take wherever.

Back