Brian help me taylor to BMX specific

ottorocket

I am into BMX dirt and vert/street riding. I am wondering how can I taylor HST to my sport. I lift 3 days per week. I weigh around 200 lbs. @ 10% BF. I want to be careful not to put on too much size in the wrong places(Back and legs) and was wondering if there are certain exercises that I should avoid or limit while doing the HST style workout. HST is what I need so I can focus on training on my bike but keep the muscle to pull huge tricks and rebound from injuries. Arms and shoulders are really used and the size doesn't restrict my movement.

Routine

Squats
Incline bench
Weighted dips
bent rows
DB shoulder press
shrugs
side lats
e-z bar curls
Overhead seated tricep ext.

1 set on everything during 15's/10's
2 set major muscles during 5's

My concern is on the muscles that could restrict my movement- back and legs.
I don't need to much size in those areas.

Anyway let me know what I should change or if HST is for me.
I really like what I see on this site about this style and would like to apply it to myself.
Thanks

I guess the problem I am concerned with is the weight factor.
I am 6'0" and I want to stay around 200 lbs. My legs get plenty of work from training on the bike and I don't want to overtrain them. My knees already are sore from all of the riding. Back is more of old injury problems."Lower back problems"(constant stiffness).I guess I was unclear about the reason for my concerns.
I have always lifted weights 3-4 days per week. Each bodypart once per week 5-7 sets/ 6-10 reps.
This is why I like HST it gives progressive loads rather than the same old day in day out routine.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Wow! 6', 200 lbs. in BMX is huge! Most of those guys are sticks lol. With all that riding, I'd probably just cut out leg training with weight. With BMX you already get a lot of heavy leg work. And you run a high risk of overtraining and overstress injuries on your knees. Especially if you plan on maintaining your current weight, since you don't have to worry about the "chicken leg effect". If I did any leg work at all, I'd probably limit it to short range of motion (no lock outs) leg extensions and leg curls, just to build up around the knees, and because that's the range of motion (bent at the knee) that you don't hit as hard on the bike. Also, that back stiffness may be due to overly strong or weak abs. If you do any ab work be sure you balance it with some equivalent form of low back work (which you may be getting from riding). If you don't do ab work and you suspect they're weaker than your back, again, do something to balance the 2, such as weighted or hanging crunches. :)

ottorocket,
you might want to throw in some GPP at the end of your workous. I use a method from Renegade training (daft as it sounds) sledgehammering an old tyre. Using various swings; horizontal, diagonal, golf-swing etc

Start off with a light 10lb'er. I guess this is kinda-like the poormans "swing club"

What this will do is tie-in all the muscles of the posterior chain (incl. grip, arms, shoulders, upper/lower back, glutes, legs & the core muscles)

As you can appreciate, BMX is tough; this GPP helps in actually holding the bike, "throwing the bike"-both in tricks & when bailing out, and mobility of the body to initiate many vert/dirt tricks

Good luck & remember:

God made the dirt, and the dirt don't hurt...

TDM

Back