Bryan, CLA & EFA - How many times a day ???

SteveDFW

I have read the FAQ Section on CLA and EFA and know I should take 6-10 grams of CLA and 6 grams EFA per day. I know to take them with a meal so they can be utilized.

I am wanting to know if I should break the dosages up throughout the day. If so, how?

Here is my daily meal plan:

wow.gif
0am, (Breakfast) 30-35 grams whey isolate/casein protein shake with fiber added.

Noon, (Pre-workout) 20grams whey isolate/520 hydro whey shake

wow.gif
0pm, (Post-workout) 40 grams whey isolate/casein with 20 grams dextrose.

3:30pm, (Meal) approximately 60 grams protein, 40 grams carbs, and 20 grams fat.

6:30pm, (Meal) pretty much same as above just different foods.

wow.gif
0pm, (Snack) 35 grams whey isolate/casein shake with added 10-15grams taurine.

My goal is to lean out while maintaining or gaining a little mass.

I also have a question on how to properly get to the correct dosage amounts.
Bryan, if you recommend 10 grams of CLA and I have 70% CLA powder, I would actually take 15 grams of the powder to get a true 10grams of CLA. Correct ?

On EFA's, you are recommending 6 total grams of EFAs (which totals 1,800mg of EPA/DHA with my fish oil pills) or 6 grams total of EPA and DHA combined (which takes 32 of my fish oil pills)?

Thanks

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I am wanting to know if I should break the dosages up throughout the day. If so, how?

It isn't going to matter all that much. You can eat it all at one sitting, or take it throughout the day. If you are taking more than 3 grams, I would split it up just in case your GI track can’t handle it.

However, you don't want to take it right before you train. This is simply because you want to minimize the chances of it being oxidized (used for fuel).

As far as dosage goes, just go by the pill size. 6 grams means 6 one-gram (1,000mg) gel caps.

Be careful with the fish oil. Your dosage can start with 2 grams per day. You don't want to get an imbalance in the other direction. I mean, having too much omega-3 in relation to other EFA’s isn’t necessarily a good thing.

It is true, that the more omega-3 and CLA you take in, the more pronounced the body composition effects; nevertheless, there are side effects. Fish oil can increase clotting time and affect the immune response (decrease it).

Thanks Bryan. You are not kidding about the gastric upset with taking too much at once of CLA, LOL.

Does the benefits of CLA last all day? If not how long after ingestion?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (SteveDFW @ April 09 2003,10:14)]Thanks Bryan. You are not kidding about the gastric upset with taking too much at once of CLA, LOL.
Does the benefits of CLA last all day? If not how long after ingestion?
CLA works both by increasing BMR, as well as effecting fat cells directly from the inside.

So the BMR affects will only last a couple hours, or as long as they are being processed in the liver. But the effects on fat cells last as long as there is CLA stored in them. That's why it is so important to get as much CLA into storage as possible.

Bryan,

I have been taking the 70% CLA powder at about 3 to 9 grams a day for a couple weeks now. I skipped a day or two here and there and I still felt hot and started sweating about 20-30 minutes after a meal.

Can the CLA have this build up effect?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (SteveDFW @ April 25 2003,3:27)]Bryan,
I have been taking the 70% CLA powder at about 3 to 9 grams a day for a couple weeks now. I skipped a day or two here and there and I still felt hot and started sweating about 20-30 minutes after a meal.
Can the CLA have this build up effect?
Absolutely! It is because CLA is a fatty acid that is stored in the body. As long as there is some stored, it will have an effect. The same goes with all other fats, good and bad.

Back