Bryan - Gain or lose first?

baloo3479

I've just started using HST and it's been working great. I'm fairly new to bodybuilding and had some questions about setting up an initial diet though. I read the article on this website called 'Eating for Size' and it said:

You will experience much more success by focusing your efforts either on gaining muscle, or losing body fat, rather than both at the same time. Trust me on this.

My question is, for someone like me who is just starting out, which of these two goals should I focus on first? I'm 5'7, 230 pounds and about 25% bodyfat. Its seems to me that the diet and training required for gaining muscle is the exact opposite than what you'd do to lose fat. I'd like to get down to single digit bodyfat, but not at the cost of size. Any help you guys can give me would be appreciated.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]My question is, for someone like me who is just starting out, which of these two goals should I focus on first?

I would highly suggest you cut first.

I echo Lance's statement. You really should try to get down to at least 15%, if not closer to 10%, before you worry about bulking. Do a nice HST cycle and do some cardio. Cut just a little from your calories - I wouldn't eat more than 250 to 500 less than maintenance. Get a lot of protein.
If you do HST with cardio then you should be able to get rid of your fat fairly quickly, while maintaining your lean body mass.

You've got enough muscle - if your measurements are accurate - that once you get down under 15%, you should start looking pretty good already, even without a bulk.

If you are feeling really ambitious, you could try a high frequency HST cycle - full body 6 days a week, or do an AM/PM split 3 to 6 days a week. That will send your calorie requirements through the roof. If you did full body 6 times a week, you will have a very hard time eating enough food to prevent yourself from losing weight. Just be careful you don't burn out.

Thanks for the tips guys. This will help me with my progress a lot. Totentanz, I've been following HST to the letter for about two weeks now and I feel like someone kicked me in the gut!!! I've got all I can handle just doing full body 3 days a week. I'm not man enough to handle six days a week yet, but I'm working on it! Thanks again for tips guys.

Back