Calves Isolations

I workout at home with free weights and a bench only. The bench has a built in squat rack. So I use that and train my calves with simple standing calf raises.

When doing Max OT - I trained calves like everything else.

When doing PL - I trained calves like when doing Max OT because the PLs don't seem to have specific calf training.

When doing HST - I simply use the same progression as with the rest of my body.

Yeah, I do standing raises also in a squat rack, but I do them different than regular muscles, I progress the loads, but I always just do 20 reps, since calves are so strong and tough and also have alot of slow-twitch fibers, and insanely high endurance...(walking around all day long....calf work.) It is amazing how much weight I can do 20 reps with calves compared to other muscles, which would poop out doing high reps.

I have 17 inch calves and have only tried direct calf work once, I didn't like it so I've never done it again. I don't know if 17 is huge, and maybe it doesn't look that big when I'm 6'1, but I think it's probably pretty decent. When you deadlift and squat enough weight, they pretty much have to grow. But then again, if you have bad calf structure, like they are too high or whatever, then nothing will really make them huge.

I have gone thru periods where I have done absolutely no calf work, and periods where I did set after set of heavy, high rep calf stuff. Bottom line: My calves grow when I gain weight. Nothing else seems to matter.

17 is awesome in my book! Mine are only 14.5"!
sad.gif
But that is because I am weak and out of shape in my lower body...my thighs are also very weak. I think you are right, Totentanz, once I can so some serious weight on the squat, etc., my calves will probably come up with the rest of my leg muscles...for now though I have to do them since they are so small.

Mine are also over 17. I never do isolations. tot's right, squats and deadlifts. Heavy cleans and pulls help also.

You don't need to do isolations if you want them to grow scientific muscle. Mine were 15 when I started HST Nov. 04.

Thanks, totentanz, leegee and leigelord.

you are all confirming somewhat what I was leaning towards...
that calf work CAN be helpful, but ultimately gaining overall body mass and increasing loads for the heavy leg-lifts (squat, dead-lift, etc.) is what will make them bigger!

I am really working on my squat lately...My legs are currently unproportioned to my upper body...Because I workout at home and I only just bought a squat rack only about a month ago! It is embarassing to admit, but my upper arms are bigger than my calves right now!

When I started being serious about working my whole body hard a couple of months ago, my calves were already 16-5/8". Some may be genetic, but largely I think it's because I was jogging regularly.

I'm now down to 2-3 times per week jogging, and not yet handling very heavy weights in squats and deadlifts. I've been doing power shrugs for traps and upper back, and I go up on my toes, adding some stimulation for my calves.

before i started lifting in my teens i used to run.play football,
but never had big calves even after weight training they never got big.
but i went from 12stn to 15stn then i stared boxing,muay thai, and got into running and my calves just went massive so maybe the extra weight and all the pushing off with your calves on the running done the buisness.
maybe calves need more work.
think about this next time you see a big guy (fat or muscle)16stn plus have a look at his calves i doubt you will see that many with small calves
rock.gif

Like faz, I have never seen a fat guy with small calves. OK some of the size will be fat, but still...

I used to train my calves like crazy as I am not genetically gifted in that department. It made little difference. Once I started on HST and for the first time ever dropped the reps to less than 10 I got some growth.

The problem with calf isos though is that it is very easy to do stretch-point stuff and bounce a bit too much at the point of maximum extension (triggering the golgi-reflex thingy). This, in my case, was bad as I ended up tearing something in my right calf when doing seated calf raises (I had 140kgs loaded on it at the time and it was darn hard to get out of it quickly). I always hated them anyway and will never do the things again. I used to really 'enjoy' donkeys but my present gym doesn't have a machine and unlike Arnie I find it hard to persuade lots of women to sit on my back!
biggrin.gif

Since then (about two months ago) I have ceased doing all calf work. My experiment is going to be whether heavy deads and squats are enough to trigger some growth for me. I will not bother doing calves for the next year and see how things go. Mine are currently 16" cold (I added about 1.5" this year). I do think that my extra bodyweight gained over this year has played a part in their growth too (175lbs. to 210lbs. this last year).

By the way Sci, I think a lot of guys have slightly larger arms than calves. Keep up the good work on your squats and deads.

<div>
(Lol @ Sep. 14 2006,07:29)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">unlike Arnie I find it hard to persuade lots of women to sit on my back!
biggrin.gif
</div>
I thought I was the only one with this problem. I feel better now.

Still not as good as Arnie did, though.
biggrin.gif

I say &quot;did&quot; ... I don't know if Maria sits on his back now or not, but I suspect that she has an unreasonable attitude toward Arnie doing donkey calf raises with his old &quot;workout partners&quot;.
wink.gif

I quit training calves. In my first cycle, one calf grew 1/8 inch. In my second cycle, the other one grew 1/8 inch. I now have 15 inch calves (they look big since I am 5' 6&quot; tall with very short legs).

I do notice quite a pump in my calves whaen I jog.

I'll let ATG Squats and DLs do what they can for my calves, and if cardio activities help too, then so be it.

ive been doin some cutting and mine are 17&quot; i would like 19&quot; but im just greedy, have a hard time getting my legs to grow
sad.gif

all i do is use the legpress machine(tiptoes)20 reps and work my way down as usual through the cycle.

This thread agrees with my observations thru the years. Calves seem to respond mostly to high reps and diet.
I skate, therefore don't do them at all. They're 16-1/2, the same as my arms at the moment. (arms shrunk a little lately) I see spinners and guys who ride bikes for their cardio with big calves and no calf raises being done. Hmmmm.....

Quad, you can't go by anybody else's development as you don't know what there calves were like before they trained or exercised. Some folks are blessed with a large lump of tissue down there and some folks aren't. If you look at the Tour De France guys, some have big calves and some quite small (all low bodyfat) and yet they spend similar amounts of time (ie. a lot!) on their bikes. It's just about getting what you possess to hypertrophy and working on that.

<div>
(Lol @ Oct. 31 2006,04:26)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Quad, you can't go by anybody else's development as you don't know what there calves were like before they trained or exercised. Some folks are blessed with a large lump of tissue down there and some folks aren't. If you look at the Tour De France guys, some have big calves and some quite small (all low bodyfat) and yet they spend similar amounts of time (ie. a lot!) on their bikes.  It's just about getting what you possess to hypertrophy and working on that.</div>
That's true. I could quit working out and never touch a weight again for the rest of my life and my calves would never get below 18 inches (right now they're about 20), but everything else would disappear.

<div>
(stevejones @ Oct. 31 2006,09:27)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE"><div>
(Lol @ Oct. 31 2006,04:26)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Quad, you can't go by anybody else's development as you don't know what there calves were like before they trained or exercised. Some folks are blessed with a large lump of tissue down there and some folks aren't. If you look at the Tour De France guys, some have big calves and some quite small (all low bodyfat) and yet they spend similar amounts of time (ie. a lot!) on their bikes.  It's just about getting what you possess to hypertrophy and working on that.</div>
That's true.  I could quit working out and never touch a weight again for the rest of my life and my calves would never get below 18 inches (right now they're about 20), but everything else would disappear.</div>
i think these are some great points.

to be fair, we all want the most what we dont have. those of us that covet others calf development or delt shape etc. usually possess something others really want. we just dont appreciate it as much b/c we are busy working on getting what we dont have.

I have genetically small calves. They look like toothpicks, even when I am at 220lbs @ 6'2&quot;. I think just like all other parts of the lifting game, some people are just screwed when it comes to certain aspects.

My cage has floor-level pulleys, so I load up the weight and chain my belt (only time I use it) to the D-ring, step up on a small platform I built for the purpose, and that seems to serve me pretty well. Other times I'll do single-legs with DBs for the balance.

Back