can I do a 'full' workout just with dumb-bells?

jmm

been offered a set of dumbells - bars you attach plates to. I won't have space for a bench.

These would mainly be for days I can't get to the gym. Could I do an effective workout just with dumbells, or would that be hard?

Thanks.

It really depends on your strength and how much weight your getting.

The answer is, yes, it is possible.

thanks - if I can get 40kg on each bell, that should keep me going for a while... Will be nice for a change, anyway.

Only think you need a bench for is bench press, otherwise your good.

With that in mind, might wanna consider dips and/or find women of varying weights, have them sit on your back for pushups, gotta maintain progression of load.  
biggrin.gif

Check yard sales, etc. or evilbay for a bench, get one with narrow bar towers, take the leg extension attachment off and you should be good, as that would take up the least amount of room and be cheap. Just double check what your getting, make sure it will support you and the weight your using.

If you have an extra couple hundred bux, you can get an FID or utility benches, dont have bar towers, multi-adjustable all the way to military press position, some have leg attachments some do not, either way they are removable. Due to my lack of space at this time, thats what Ive resorted too, with dumbells. The previously mentioned are the cheapest though, as they are more common to be dust collectors.
smile.gif
I found one at a yard sale, took them to $2...haha....Im pushing its limitations, so Im about to get a FID bench to support some real weight.

Good luck

Well let's see...I can BENCH on a bench, uh, how about flyes, pullovers, situps and crunches, d/b rows, skullcrushers, french presses, back dips and wrestle my old lady.

I can even use it for a coffee table, but he said he didn't have room for it, so the point is moot. JMM, I'd just schedule any of the above exersizes for your gym days, and use the d/b's for anything else you can do..and there's a LOT of stuff you can do with them.

<div>
(jmm @ Jan. 09 2007,13:38)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">been offered a set of dumbells - bars you attach plates to.  I won't have space for a bench.

These would mainly be for days I can't get to the gym.  Could I do an effective workout just with dumbells, or would that be hard?

Thanks.</div>
rock.gif

Are you a student in a dorm, soldier in the barracks, or something similiar ?

thanks - v small flat, so I could fit in a bench at a push, but something else would have to go... Actually, maybe I could substitute with a swissball?

<div>
(quadancer @ Jan. 09 2007,21:59)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Well let's see...I can BENCH on a bench, uh, how about flyes, pullovers, situps and crunches, d/b rows, skullcrushers, french presses, back dips and wrestle my old lady.</div>
I didnt say bench was the only exercise you could perform with a bench, just that its the only one that really requires the use of a bench.   HST~compounds, in the voice of Gary Coleman, what you talkin bout flies willis?  
biggrin.gif

Breathe dude...

see, now he's saying he might have room for a bench...
biggrin.gif

JMM

You could use the ball, as long as your strength/bodyweight, doesnt surpass the capacity the swiss ball was intended for.

What Steve is probably saying is, how small could it be? I knew a businessman who works out in a closet every day behind his desk and he's really impressively built. There's always a way using a little imagination. I can't see getting much weight moving balancing on some BALL myself. Well, good luck.

fair enough, that was badly put - if I needed one, I could fit a bench in. I'd rather not, though, if I can avoid it
smile.gif

<div>
(jmm @ Jan. 10 2007,06:07)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">thanks - v small flat, so I could fit in a bench at a push, but something else would have to go...  Actually, maybe I could substitute with a swissball?</div>
You can fit in a swissball, but not a bench....

You know, I realize that not everyone in here is going to have the same priorities as me.  I really don't expect that, but not even willing to get a little flat bench ?  

If that's the case, you obviously don't care much about hypertrophy or bbing, so why would you be on this forum ?  I'm not trying to insult you, I just don't understand.  This would be like me logging onto a forum for database administrators and typing &quot;hey guys, I want to learn some Oracle, but I don't have a mouse on my computer, and I'd really rather not purchase one, is there an effective way I can manage a database without buying a mouse ?&quot;

To be honest, I'm not that motivated to have gym kit at home: if it's awkward to keep the stuff at home, I'd rather just head to the gym instead. I'm not sure if that shows a particular problem with motivation; whether I end up doing it at the gym or at home, I'll still be able to workout 3 or 4 times/week.

Again, I wasn't trying to insult anyone. I've been offered a set of dumbells - am just trying to figure out whether or not they'd be much use to have at home.

btw, the advantage of a swiss ball in terms of storage is that they deflate...

<div>
(quadancer @ Jan. 10 2007,09:26)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I knew a businessman who works out in a closet every day behind his desk and he's really impressively built.</div>
A Closet???
rock.gif

While the swiss ball does deflate I think it would get to be a pain inflating/deflating it all the time. At least I know I would be sick of it after the first week or two.

<div>
(jmm @ Jan. 10 2007,19:18)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE"></div>
If clearing space for a bench is a hassle, then I'd just get a gym membership.

I second that...go to the gym as much as you can and forget working out at home.

I exercise at home and I started with only dumbells and a bench, and it sucked.
I have an awesome body-solid adjustable incline/decline bench and a whole set of hexagonal dumbells from 5 lb.s to 90 lb.s and platemates and it still sucked!

Now I have added to it a Power-rack (most important), an olympic barbell and 450 lb.s of plates (also important), the rack has a chin-up bar and pulldown cable, I custom built a steel dipping bar, got a dipping belt for attaching weights....etc. etc. Recently installed speakers for loud music!
cool.gif

The bottom line is half of my two-car garage is taken up by the gym and I have over $2000 into it. It works great, but if I didn't have the space, YOU CAN BET I WOULD BE AT THE COMMERCIAL GYM USING TOP EQUIPMENT INSTEAD OF JUST DUMBELLS AND A BALL!

<div>
(Bulldog @ Jan. 10 2007,20:33)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE"><div>
(quadancer @ Jan. 10 2007,09:26)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I knew a businessman who works out in a closet every day behind his desk and he's really impressively built.</div>
A Closet???  
rock.gif
</div>
Yeah, met this guy who looked YUGE in a business suit...asked him what type program he worked, and got to talking. It got around to the &quot;where do you work out&quot; question somehow, and he just got up and opened the door behind him. There was a GYM packed into about a 5x8 space - he works out on his lunch breaks. All freeweights.
I can't remember what type workout he did tho.

Sci, I second what you said. If you are going to workout at home, then you need to go all out to fit your wants. It is an investment for life and the money spent for the equipment equals 3-6 years of gym membership fees.

Right - so the half-arsed approach to a home gym isn't a good idea ;) Anyway, I'm already a member of a commercial gym (this was an 'as well as' not 'instead of' option) - so will just stick with the commercial gym...

The 5*8 cupboard gym sounds impressive. Definitely a good use of space...

Back