Can Protein Convert to Fat?

Maximuscrates

I am wondering if protein can convert to fat in a similar fashion as carbs do.

If you answer yes or no, please explain and cite journals if possible.

Thanks

Maximuscrates

Yes. Eat too many calories wether as fat, protein or carbs and your body will store the excess energy as fat. No need for journals, calories are calories no matter how you dress them up and if you eat too many you will get fat and that's a fact.

I was looking more into how the protein is converted. Ive read how the carbohydrate is converted to fat but never how protein is.

They have different structures.

I believe this was in a thread a while back, let me see if I can find it on the search...

When you eat more protein than your body utilizes for muscle synthesis, it gets converted to carbohydrate. Then the carbohydrate moves into glycogen storage. Then when that's full (you only have room to store 15g/kg of LBM), it's stored in and on the body as saturated fat and cholesterol.

Thankfully, the actual utilization of protein burns SOME calories so not ALL of it stores as fat.

The only thing that doesn't store easily as fat is fat. However, at 9 cals/gram if you go over caloric needs with it guess what those extra calories encourage. You guessed it...fat storage.

Unless you`re eating a metric fuckton of protein, it`s a non-issue. Ultimately, pretty much everything you stuff down your piehole CAN turn to fat, but conditions vary. I don`t remember if studies have been performed exactly to check this out...maybe you could ask on Lyle`s board, they seem to have every study under the sun.

And even under the conditions of a caloric excedent, i think that protein may have a positive partitioning effect, meaning more will go to muscle, and less to fat(you`ll still get some fat, mind you, but maybe less if you`re getting your excedent only from protein). On the other hand, going over 1,5 g/lb of protein is counter-productive, so the point is moot.

there are beautiful pathways for carbs or protein to be metabolised to fat.

For the most part, neither really occur in humans.

Hey Arron can you explain that in more detail?

I was taught that, vagrant said, the body turns excess protein into glucose first, then excess glucose gets turned into fat.

I also learned that almost every single calorie you eat over the body's needs gets turned into fat, because the body is very efficient.

The body can turn carbs into fat, and can turn amino acids to fat, it just doesnt happen except under very specific cicumstances.

Carbs can make you fat without actually producing fat.

Carbs influence fat balance by reducing fat oxidation.

<div>
(Aaron_F @ Feb. 25 2007,19:00)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">there are beautiful pathways for carbs or protein to be metabolised to fat.

For the most part, neither really occur in humans.</div>

Here's a little &quot;Bro Logic&quot; for ya. And some common sense too.

Dude - walk outside.

Now look to your left.

Now look to your right.

Now look straight ahead.

See all the fat people?

Yeah, it happens in humans.

Get out of the science book and in the real world.

Eating too much of anything you will make you fat.

Actually they are reality. Just look at the post and read it. Now look at the people mentioned in the post.

When I finally started listening to some really big guys who knew how to train who suggested that perhaps I was spending too much time in the books and not enough, &quot;shutting up, stop thinking, stop reading, start lifting&quot; I finally started to grow.

Bro logic rules.

Bro logic is awesome, one of my mates, who is the biggest guy I know:

&quot;eat lots, lift big&quot;

talk about keeping it simple! And so true too

Hence my sig
wink.gif

<div>
(vagrant @ Feb. 27 2007,16:06)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Actually they are reality. Just look at the post and read it. Now look at the people mentioned in the post.

When I finally started listening to some really big guys who knew how to train who suggested that perhaps I was spending too much time in the books and not enough, &quot;shutting up, stop thinking, stop reading, start lifting&quot; I finally started to grow.

Bro logic rules.</div>

Wow, how useful. Except we were not discussing how to grow, we were answering a queston about a measureable, biochemical process.
Looking at fat people doesnt show how they got fat, it just shows they are fat, actual controlled measurements are required. Carbs make you fat, but not from denovolipogenesis.
Those same fat people ate protien, does that mean protein made them fat? what about the fat in their diets, its fat so of course that must be what made them fat huh? oh no, it must have been the carbs blah blah blah

But how does shutting up, stop reading and start lifting awnser a biochemical question?

Does lifting somehow perform enzymatic analyses?
or maybe the stopping reading does this?
maybe a big bro staring at somebody can measure the activities of fatty acid synthase?
or perhaps having big muscles means you can feel the enzyme activites?
Maybe being a bro allows MRI analysis during a set?

So the vast amount of intelligent discussion that this forum used to have has been reduced to................

Bro Logic rules and Shut up and lift dude
sad.gif

<div>
(Dan Moore @ Feb. 27 2007,08:20)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Bro Logic rules and Shut up and lift dude
sad.gif
</div>
Occasionally, one has to remember just to eat, sleep, lift, and grow without reading too much into it. No need to over analyze everything.

And saying that &quot;these processes rarely happen with humans&quot; is just silly. Look around at all the fat people. They ate too many carbs, too much protein, and too much fat...i.e. they over ate and got fat. Pretty simple really. I was one of those fat people. My endocrinology lessons let me know how I got to be one and it can be understood that way on a very complex level. But simple logic told me the same answer with a lot less words. I ate too damn much for my activity level.

The formula for me was simple. Eat less, lift more, do more cardio, burn off excess body fat.

When I got down to 170 at a very low body fat percentage how to grow was also simple. Eat more, lift more, do less cardio, grow some muscles.

Isn't that all any of us want to do anyway, have more muscle/strength with less body fat to go along with it?

The original question was can protein turn into body fat. Of course it can. So can carbs. So can fat. If taken in excess over what is needed to grow on, the excess WILL be stored as fat.

But let's look again at his question, actually questions

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I am wondering if protein can convert to fat in a similar fashion as carbs do.

If you answer yes or no, please explain and cite journals if possible.

Thanks</div>

Looking at part 1, it got answered. IE yes it can

Looking at part 2,   <div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">If you answer yes or no, please explain and cite journals if possible.</div> When Aaron tried to explain he was told or rather we were all told, just shut up and lift. How did this explain or elaborate or even address Maximuscrates second part of the question?

I absolutely agree, eat more lift more = get big, eat less move more = get leaner but also remember that this forum was a open discussion forum with many of it's principles founded in scientific literature and hence many topics of discussion were of the scientific nature which has/have bearing to practical application.

Back