Can someone summarize principle of HST

-exercise same muscles 3 times week
-do 15 reps each exercise for 2 weeks
-do 10 reps each exercise for 2 weeks
-do 5 reps each exercise for 2 weeks
-do negs for 2 weeks
-from 15 reps through negs increase weights until reaching 15, 10, 5, and neg maxes at each 2 week marker
-rest two weeks, try not lift anything
-do over from beginning
-before workout 15 gram protein plus sugar, after workout 15 gram protein plus nuts and fish oil and sugar
-eat 1 gram protein each pound weigh a day
-do gain or fat loss, not both

Hey guys :)
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]-exercise same muscles 3 times week
-do 15 reps each exercise for 2 weeks
-do 10 reps each exercise for 2 weeks
-do 5 reps each exercise for 2 weeks
-do negs for 2 weeks
-from 15 reps through negs increase weights until reaching 15, 10, 5, and neg maxes at each 2 week marker
-rest two weeks, try not lift anything
-do over from beginning
-before workout 15 gram protein plus sugar, after workout 15 gram protein plus nuts and fish oil and sugar
-eat 1 gram protein each pound weigh a day
-do gain or fat loss, not both
That's not a summary of the HST principles. That's a summary of just one way to apply the HST principles.

Funguy, well,I don't know how much I can be of help if you hate reading a lot, but here, in very broad strokes:

* PRINCIPLE OF MECHANICAL LOAD (Tension): Mechanical tension is the primary stimulus for hypertrophy. The necessary tension is caused by doing reps of a sufficiently heavy load. So: sufficent tension = hypertrophy

* PRINCIPLE OF PROGRESSIVE LOAD: As the muscle is continuously trained, it becomes resistant to the stimulus - this is called Repeated Bout Effect (RBE). To counter RBE, the tension must be increased. The easiest and most effective way to do this is to increase the load. So: progressive loading = counter RBE = more hypertrophy

* PRINCIPLE OF CHRONIC STIMULI: Muscles don't need so much time to recover, so we train them more frequently. This is one way to create an environment more conducive to hypertrophy, instead of acute but sporadic stimuli. So: more frequent training = anabolic more often = more hypertrophy

* PRINCIPLE OF STRATEGIC DECONDITIONING: As you train and increase the load (progressive loading), you will reach a point where you are at your strenght limit and can't increase load anymore. Once growth has stopped from your absolute max load, the only way for the loads (max and lighter loads) to be effective again is to lessen your degree of conditioning - this is called Strategic Deconditioning (SD). After SD, even lighter weights than your max will create a hypertrophic effect again; just how light the effective weights start off depends on your SD.

Those are the principles in broad strokes. Apply them right, and your routine is an HST routine.

If you need further explanation about something, you can pm me if you don't want to post on the boards that you "sound stupid" as you said on your post.

Regards and good luck,
-JV

Good post, jvroig.

Funguy, I'll restate jvroig's post in an even easier-to-read format, and add the most important HST principle, which jvroig missed.

PRINCIPLE OF USING ACTUAL SCIENCE
Science has figured a lot of sh1t out, including what makes muscles grow. Principle Number Zero is to read the science and build your workout plan based on what we know, not on some glossy-mag article on "Blasting your external occipital protuberance!"*

PRINCIPLE OF MECHANICAL LOAD
You gotta lift weights. And the pink dumbells won't work. Yeah, maybe it was obvious, but science likes to prove the basic things before it moves on.

PRINCIPLE OF PROGRESSIVE LOAD
You have to keep raising the weights. When your muscles get used to the weights, the weights don't make you grow much any more, so you need to make them heavier. Just like when you learn to sleep through your alarm clock, you need a louder alarm.

PRINCIPLE OF CHRONIC STIMULI
Do it often. No, I mean lifting weights.

Chronic just means "often." A muscle grows better if you hit it often. "Arm day" once a week is not the best way to great arms; you can work them three or four times a week and get a lot of growth from the workouts. Anything you read about muscles needing a week to "fully recover" is cr@p as far as growth is concerned. Science has found (ah, science) that a workout makes a muscle grow at a good clip for roughly a day and a half. Whether or not you're still sore, the rest of the week is wasted, from a growth perspective, if you don't work it out again. So get your @ss back in the gym.

PRINCIPLE OF STRATEGIC DECONDITIONING
Ah, the principle of taking a friggin' break.

So you worked out several times a week, increasing the weights steadily. After just a few months, what happens? The weights are too heavy. You can't lift them, and just grunting doesn't count as a workout. What's to do?

Quit. Temporarily.

The reason the heavy weights aren't having much effect any more is because your muscles are used to them. They need to get unused to them. To accomplish that, you stop lifting. You take about a week off. It's that simple.

When you go back, you start in again from the light weights, and, miraculously, they will work again -- because your muscles are no longer so used to lifting those weights.

So, in a nutshell. . .
Lift weights, hitting each muscle group at least three times a week. Make the weights heavier and heavier over time, until they're too heavy to go up any more, then take a break. Repeat.

HST is that simple.

___
*OK, this actually means "whacking the back of your head," but that's what most glossy-mag articles are good for.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (edziu @ Oct. 10 2005,11:33)]
Gazing lovingly at the canvas covered heap lying lifeless on the table, Dr. Musclestein ponders these basic but unanswerable questions. "Can man create what god is so sparingly willing to give to so few? Can advanced hypertrophy be achieved for all man? Will Will Smith ever make a movie that's worth the price of the ticket?" Suddenly there is a crash while a blazing light beams down to illuminate the lifeless heap. Musclestein violently throws his arm up to cover his fail old eyes. It's at this very moment that Musclestein's assistant notices a small but discernable twitch emanated from this lifeless forms Vastus Lateralis. Faint, barely noticeable but yet there, there again, another twitch.

Wait a third twitch, could it be? Hesitantly Muscelstein's assistant, Ygor Pumpalotironovich, tugs on his mentor's bloody, unwashed lab coat muttering three simple yet profound words........

"Master it's alive"

Immediately, impatiently, Musclestein places an ear to the heaving hulk's chest, bump bump, bump bump, yes it's a heartbeat. Faint but gaining strength, "Ygor" Musclestein shouts "it's truly alive, by god it's alive!"

Musclestein runs to his desk of cluttered scientific notes, journals and calculations he violently brushes his Pre-Workout shake aside not caring about the mess his poor assistant will have to clean. He picks up his Journal and writes with quivery but yet quite elegant script.

Entry Date 10/10/2006
I Dr. Edwink Von Estrogen Von Luceine Musclestein III, have created what no man has created before me, World I give you......

EDZIU and he's ALIVE.

Edziu

Long time nooooo hear. How you been man?
thumbs-up.gif

Glad to see you back!

Dan....the man... that was one hell of a post
laugh.gif
Dr. Musclestein.
laugh.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Entry Date 10/10/2006
I Dr. Edwink Von Estrogen Von Luceine Musclestein III, have created what no man has created before me, World I give you......

EDZIU and he's ALIVE.

Brilliant simply....brilliant!

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]add the most important HST principle, which jvroig missed.

PRINCIPLE OF USING ACTUAL SCIENCE

Oh, how could I have missed that
laugh.gif

Right now, I'm still waiting for some pencil-necked scientists (or perhaps I should count on the fat ones) to finally and definitely declare and prove that the secret to extreme hypertrophy is eating a ton of pizza during the day and having lots of sex during the night.
laugh.gif

Oh, well... until then, we'll have to stay with mechanical load, progressive loading, chronic stimuli, and strategic deconditioning.
thumbs-up.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (dkm1987 @ Oct. 10 2005,2:11)]Entry Date 10/10/2006
EDZIU and he's ALIVE.
Nice.

It's nice to be remembered.

I may not stop in much, but I'm alive. I mostly pop by to check if you put anyting new into the FAQ forum. . . and to see if Bryan has put out a new HS: Report. <hint> <hint>

I know, I know, we have to wait until there's something new to say, with actual evidence. . . this is why the muslce mags have nothing new to say every month, but say it anyway, with pretty colors.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Fausto @ Oct. 11 2005,6:55)]Long time nooooo hear. How you been man?
thumbs-up.gif

Glad to see you back!

I've been getting by.  Was just starting another cycle this week and popped in to see what's new.  So I'm not really "back." More like "passing through."

Glad to see some old-timers still around. . .  and I see Aaron is still his usual conversational self.

Personally, I just came off an excellent decon. . .  blew out a discs in my neck and couldn't do anything for a month and a half.  Just go my OK to go back in the gym.

Which brings me to my point:  Folks, take care of your spines!  In case you're wondering, this was not a weight-room incident.  It was a sidewalk fall many years ago that occasionally comes back.

It's funny, really:  
SLDL 365; no problem.  
Yawn on couch; disc blown out.
Once you damage your spine, you never know what comes next.

I'm hopeful for a recovery, though. . .  my current physical therapist feels that my discs never fully recover because of postural problems; I'm big, and spend a lot of time hunched over keybaords or leaning down to talk to people.  With my head forward all the time, there is unusual pressure on my cervical spine most of the time.

He has done some deep-tissue work which is painful and reminds me of Kate -- she still around?  Anyway, his prescribed course of exercises is definitely improving my posture.  That and my trying hard to remember my posture. . . Between that and daily home traction, I hope to finally beat my neck problem once and for all.

GL, all.  Keep lifting!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (edziu @ Oct. 12 2005,1:56)]Glad to see some old-timers still around. . . and I see Aaron is still his usual conversational self.
yep

[b said:
Quote[/b] ] Folks, take care of your spines! In case you're wondering, this was not a weight-room incident.
yep

[b said:
Quote[/b] ] It was a sidewalk fall many years ago that occasionally comes back.
I had a motorbike fall that did that for me

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Once you damage your spine, you never know what comes next.
usually pain

Back