Cant Lose Weight

[b said:
Quote[/b] (mikeh @ Feb. 15 2005,1:31)]It's time to start ordering chicken salads, Carls Jr. has the best IMO  :)
Wendy's without the dressing for me
And yes, I am in the over 40 club, I can only eat at max 2400 Kcals daily with only a minimal fat gain.

Sard, You 've answered yourself now a few times, MOVE MORE. I'm not talkin walking to Burger King either  :D but that would help a little

Falco,

"165 & 31 in waist = ~ 9% bf,  175 & 33 in waist = ~ 12 % bf"

I WISH!!  I dont think Im like that.  If I flex, I can see my 6 pack (barely), but I dont think my bf is that low.
My arms, etc...are not cut at all.  
My body (in my opinion) looks like Kid Rock.  Skinny, with a slight belly.

"Getting to 15- 17% bf is pretty simple"

It is?  My goal would be 185lbs, with a 31 inch waist (Im 5'10), I assume thats around 12%bf?  
Think of it like Vanderlei Silva (if you guys know who that is) except he's my height but 210lbs...but a similiar body to that.
Heres a link to a picture:
http://l00014.myspace.com/00014/75/71/14411757_l.JPG

"Another note.  @ 165 - 175 pounds, you might lack the muscle mass to get really lean.  Your body will start shedding muscle as your bf drops, so you'll need to start cycling your mass gain and fat loss."

Ok this has me concerned.  I never really gained much weight on HST (I took in too little protein and calories), but I have this stomach, so I wanted to lose that first.
Why would my body start to lose my muscle first?  

Its not like I have the bodyfat of Bruce Lee, I have a lot of fat (ALL AROUND MY STOMACH)  so my body should look there.  
sad.gif

Just so you know, if you want to drop your calories and still eat at Burger King, stop getting the Angus. It's terrible. A Jr. Whopper, for instance, would be a much better choice for watching calories. The chili has something like 190 calories, as opposed to how many the Angus has. Even the chicken salad is a good choice.

When I have to eat there, I get a Chicken Whopper with mustard instead of mayo. That comes in around 450 calories or so, with about 39 grams of protein and very little fat. It's a much better choice than the Angus.

And most importantly, don't get fries or soft drinks. Drink water with it, or if you have to have something other than water, then drink tea or something. Don't drink soft drinks. And don't get fries, those are terrible for you.

If you ate three Chicken Whoppers (made how I described) a day, you would only have about 1,350 calories from Burger King, with plenty of protein in that diet. That leaves room for a snack or two, while allowing you to still remain under maintenance.

If you are eating fast food, it is INSANELY easy to count your calories. Just ask them for a nutritional chart, or go to the site for the resturaunt you are eating at. They have everything on there. Most of them allow you to change the toppings on whatever sandwich you got, and will tell you how many calories it has then.

Once you have a good idea of how many calories are in each product, then you won't even need to write it down anymore, you can just keep a running tally in your head during the day.

And finally, if you just can't be bothered to count calories and watch your diet, then just switch to doing fullbody HST six times a week. :D

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]And finally, if you just can't be bothered to count calories and watch your diet, then just switch to doing fullbody HST six times a week

Exactly mate. :D

cheers,
Jules

I'll back vicious up on that......I can eat an extra 3-400 kcals a day with 6x full body HST and not quite make maintenance.....and as I'm a lover of food, I find this very satisfactory :d..of course if you have a low muscle mass the numbers won't quite be the same, but the principle remains true.

Sard-
I have a movie recommendation for you- I don't know if you've seen it yet, but even if you have, check out Supersize Me. I just saw it, and it's pretty disgusting, but I highly recommend it for every school health class- they should show this thing every grade right up through 12th. Ugh!

Hi Jake,

When it first came out, a lot of people made a big deal about it, to me.

But, like I said, I have been eating Fast Food at least once a day for the last 15 years.
My weight (until Jan) has been good (I am underweight, if anything), I am in good health. Blood pressure, cholestorol (which I cant spell), etc...are all right in middle of the "range" for normal people. (according to my yearly blood work)

I think the director went out of his way to get messed up, or else it would have been a boring movie.

Also, theres 1 guy who did the same diet and and lost 8lbs of bodyfat, and his blood pressure, etc, improved.
http://www.truthinfitness.org/projects/mcDonalds/journal.html
Of course he worked out during the time.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (sard @ Feb. 19 2005,1:37)]But, like I said, I have been eating Fast Food at least once a day for the last 15 years.
umm... first of all, why?

second of all, maybe you've found the answer to why you are skinny yet have a gut?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (sard @ Feb. 15 2005,11:25)]Falco,
"165 & 31 in waist = ~ 9% bf, 175 & 33 in waist = ~ 12 % bf"
I WISH!! I dont think Im like that. If I flex, I can see my 6 pack (barely), but I dont think my bf is that low.
My arms, etc...are not cut at all.
My body (in my opinion) looks like Kid Rock. Skinny, with a slight belly.
Most men need to get their body fat to ~8% for the muscles to show through the skin.
At 175 and a 33 inch waist, you couldn't be over 18% bf, unless you were 4' 2". You can't be much more than 15 - 16%.
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]"Getting to 15- 17% bf is pretty simple"
It is? My goal would be 185lbs, with a 31 inch waist (Im 5'10), I assume thats around 12%bf?
185 w/ a 31 inch waist is more like 8 - 9 %
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]
"Another note. @ 165 - 175 pounds, you might lack the muscle mass to get really lean. Your body will start shedding muscle as your bf drops, so you'll need to start cycling your mass gain and fat loss."
Ok this has me concerned. I never really gained much weight on HST (I took in too little protein and calories), but I have this stomach, so I wanted to lose that first.
Why would my body start to lose my muscle first?
Its not like I have the bodyfat of Bruce Lee, I have a lot of fat (ALL AROUND MY STOMACH) so my body should look there.
sad.gif
You hit a point were your body doesn't want to lose fat anymore. It doesn't consider <15% very healthy (even though it looks cool).
You're around my size. I'm 5'9" & I was 186 and 23% bf. All was well with the fat loss until I hit 15%, then it got harder & harder to lose. I stepped up the cardio and the dieted harder. I hit 160 @ 12.5 % bf (bf taken via caliper by a trainer at the gym). I still wasn't 'ripped'. Weeks later I hit 156, but was still 12.5% bf. Ut oh! I lossed weight but my bf stayed the same. Ungood.
And I could tell I was looking 'bad skinny.'
You almost always have to sacrifice some muscle when you lose fat. But guys like you and me can't afford to lose that muscle. You are only about 145 pounds lean. For your goal, you'd have to gain 25 pounds of pure muscle.
Get your body fat taken and use it to measure your progress. Cycle your fat loss and muscle gain.

"You're around my size. I'm 5'9" & I was 186 and 23% bf. I hit 160 @ 12.5 % bf (bf taken via caliper by a trainer at the gym). I still wasn't 'ripped'. Weeks later I hit 156, but was still 12.5% bf. Ut oh! I lossed weight but my bf stayed the same. Ungood."

How did you look when you went from 186 to 156?
Im about 173 now, and look skinny.
Down at 156, you must have looked skinny also...?
But at 186, you probably look decent...?
(no offense intended)

But when I was still in college (and playing handball about 20+ hours a week) I was about 155, and my abs were ripped to shreds...but everyone made comments about how I was too skinny. (when I was fully dressed)

A little math will give you an idea . . .

186 @ 23% bf = 144 lbs lean
160 @ 12% bf = 141 lbs lean
156 @ 12% bf = 138 lbs lean

Whan I was 186 (I actually peaked at 192, but never took measurements), I still looked like a thin guy with my shirt on cause I held most of my fat around my waist (36 - 37 inches). And I wasn't 'big' - only 144 lbs lean, but people would tell me 'you look bigger.'

At 156, I was noticabley leaner. People could tell even with my shirt on that I was pretty lean. But I 'flattened out' quite a bit, especially in my shoulders. I was never gonna get 'ripped' at the rate I was going cause I didn't have the muscle to spare.

I have pics at 186, 168, & 156, & you can see a definite change in my belly (down to a 31/32 waist). I'll post em in the results forum after I finish my first HST cycle, but there is a 6-month gap in between 168 & 156 where I bulked up and then dieted again but never took pics.

Falco - You are right!

I asked a trainer at my gym to help me measure my bodyfat %. He used calipers to measure my skinfold, at 3 spots, 3 times, and then he added all the numbers together (9) and then divided by 3.

Upper Chest, near the armpit: 8, 10, 11 = added together 29
Stomach, next to bellybutton: 22, 24, 22 = added together 68
Thigh, above the knee: 11, 14, 12 = added together 37
29+68+37 = 134. 134 / 3 = 45.

So the average is 45, he could not find the chart to convert, so I found out myself on the internet.

Turns out it I am at 13.5 %
I am suprised it is so low (I am assuming 13.5% is a pretty good %), considering my stomach is totally out of shape.

But it seems from the measurements, ALL the fat is in the stomach area.

Men mostly gather fat on the stomach area as women tends to get in to their butt and thighs. Now Sard, hit the gym and get those abs working
thumbs-up.gif
13,5% is not bad considering your former (hopefully) diet

"Now Sard, hit the gym and get those abs working 13,5% is not bad considering your former (hopefully) diet "

sad.gif

Its not former, but I am eating less meals (which might not be a good thing).

Monday Dinner: Wendy's - chili, plain baked potato, jr. bacon cheeseburger, 5 piece nuggets. (suprisingly only 1180 calories)
Tues Lunch - Left over Jr. Bacon Cheeseburger.
Dinner - Burger King - Whopper
Later Dinner - Burger King - whopper
Again not as much calories as it would seem, only about 1500 calories today.

But, I am still not convinced about my bf %.
I am not sure if the guy took it right.
13.5% just sounds too low.
I have a 33 inch waist, and it seems ALOT.
Half of my pants dont close, the other half are very tight.

I weighed myself today...171lbs.
but the pants are still tight
sad.gif

Back