chest flys

Joe.Muscle

Hey guys I know this has been discussed before but I cant remember the answer.

Anyway...I have doing benchpress,chest press machine, dumbell press, hammer strength chest press...etc...for the past 16+ years.

That being said If I switch my routine over to taking out presses all together and doing just a fly instead would that make sense?

More isolation....for the chest...but also less load being used.

However it takes the shouders and triceps completely out.

thoughts...

Joe,

I cant remember the details of any previous discussions, but, for what its worth, my opinion is that dips are the most productive exercise for the whole chest
(I remember reading something, quite a while back, that you cant effectively isolate upper and lower chest much anyway)
so it makes sense to hit the chest with the most effective, and natural movement - which is dips.

I actually alternate dips with flat bench at the moment throughout my cycles.

I have never really used iso's for my chest, cos I'm a bit old fashioned, and believe in shifting as much iron/bwt as I can, to build the most size for chest?

I did try flyes with cables for a while, years ago, as they seem to provide the most constant tension, throughout the whole range of movement, whereas with dumbbells, once they're vertical, you lose some tension on the muscle, and its more of a gravity thing... if that makes sense?

Dont give up on the heavy stuff mate.
I know there are issues with joints stress from heavy benches and dips, but I always suffered more with pec deck and flyes too?

Brix

Back