Chest

BigJ

Ok,

I don't know if this should be in this forum or general training, but my problem is this:

Chest. I've been training for a long time (12 years or so) and HSTing for about the last 1 1/2 years...

If you were to see me you would know my weakest body part is my chest.

How can I force some growth here? I bench about 140 kilos at my 5 rep maximum so its not like I am not throwing reasonable weights about...

Any input appreciated...

I have had good results with the following superset routine of 1 set each:

DB Incline Bench Press
Dips
Flat Bench Flyes

Even the 15's give you a good doms inducing workout.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Old and Grey @ Mar. 09 2005,11:10)]I have had good results with the following superset routine of 1 set each:
DB Incline Bench Press
Dips
Flat Bench Flyes
Even the 15's give you a good doms inducing workout.
I know a few people who have had good success with 21s, probably because of the time under tension they require. Basically you do the top half of a movement for seven reps, the bottom half for seven, and then the full movement for seven. I tried them once for arms, I definitely felt it afterward. I've never done them over a series of workouts though.

Ian King is a big fan of 21's as well. It is a very good method to get a wicked metabolic workout into a very short period of time. Supersetting is a variation of 21's but using different exercises instead of different ranges of the same exercise. 21's work well with almost any exercise. Do 7 reps using the top 1/3 of the movement, 7 reps using the bottom 1/3 of the movement and 7 reps using the full range of the exercise. Like drop sets, it's a real burner.

So would 21s induce growth?

And how would I incorporate 21s into an HST routine?

(assuming bench and dips for the exercises)

Sure, 21's will induce growth just as 15's will. Most growth, however, is indiced during the 10's, 5's nad negs. The 15's, drops sets and 21's are used primarily to induce a metabolic response to increase lactate acid to help keep joint and connective tissue sound. While I have not used them in conjuntion with HST if I were to use them I think I would incorpoate them either in place of 15's or in place of drop sets after a set of my 15 rm's.

It doesn't really matter what the exercise is.

If you have a training partner, I would do negs on the bench presses AND the dips and no drop sets or 21's. If no training partner, I would use drops or 21's on the bench after a set of my 5 rm and negs only on the dips which can be done easily without a training partner.

I'm having a similar problem with chest. I'm going to try some high volume GVT stuff for a few months.
I workout on an 8 day schedule, usually taking Wednesday and Saturdays off.  I have three distinct workouts, two upper body and one leg day I perform in the following pattern:
upper 1
lower
upper2
break
upper1
lower
upper2
...etc
Here's a subset of my upper body days specific to chest:
Upper body #1
5x10 bench press  x 135lbs
4x8-12 inlcline hammers  x 180lbs
5x10 bench press x 135lbs
Upper body #2
decline hammer bench 360lbs
My plan is to raise the flat bench week about 20lbs every three-four workouts.  Today will be workout #5.
I've already had a good response to this, but I haven't done flat bench for over a year, so it might be hitting fibers I haven't in a long time and puffing them up.

Back