compound exercises

aussiemark

Hi guys,

I've heard the big 4 compound exercises are deads, squats, bench and rows... but what would be the ideal one for building mass in the shoulder region? I know bench does front delt, and rows touch the rear delt. Can military press/dumbell press be considered a compound excercise? I would imagine that it would work the triceps in addition to the delt heads?

Also, what HST stretch point exercises do most people do for their delts? Is this the best way to try and bring them up (I read in the pimp my hst pdf that you should do these before going for isolations)

thanks,

marc

Military or Shoulder Press and Upright Rows are all good compounds for the shoulder. If you limit the ROM on the Uprights to just above your navel or at least no higher than your sternum, they can be quite effective with lil risk.

It is not necessary to use stretch point, just look at some PL or OL, they have big shoulders and probably never ever did a stretch point.

If you want to use stretch point, Jules' recommended incline shoulder lateral, I believe he explains it in "Pimp my HST" is a good one to use.

Following on from what DKM said, if you find the movement for incline db lateral raises awkward try cable lateral raises, they also give extra stretch compared to standard db raises.

Back