??confused??

basso

well just wanted to know what is better for chest growth: decline work ( that's what i thought so far) or incline work?

Based on the function of the pectoral muscle, decline presses or dips probably hit it better. Some of us have a tendency to develop the chest a little too heavy in the lower area for our tastes, though. Using an incline (or perhaps even a Gironda neck press) places more stress on the pec minor rather than pec major and moves the development up higher. Now, this is far too simple of an explanation to be completely correct, but that is the basic idea. You will hit the major chest muscle better with dips or declines in most cases.

tell me what you think about this: doing dips but also isolation for the chest. then doing 2 iso for triceps and 2 iso for shoulders.
i want to really target the pecs.

What about working on a Pec Deck machine? Can you get the same kind of results in terms of building both the upper and lower chest? I'm presently using that exercise in my HST workout (along w/DB incline chest press and regular chest press machine).

[b said:
Quote[/b] (tdsong @ Jan. 28 2006,2:26)]What about working on a Pec Deck machine? Can you get the same kind of results in terms of building both the upper and lower chest? I'm presently using that exercise in my HST workout (along w/DB incline chest press and regular chest press machine).
You can use more weight with pressing movements.

There was an extensive discussion of flat vs incline bench, etc. a while back. Bryan was involved and indicated his preference for a slight incline to keep the sternum parallel to the floor.
The flat bench activates the entire pectoral muscle. As you increase the incline, the lower pec is less involved. You can't really emphasize upper or lower. The best way to growth is to "Maximally activating the entire muscle group".
My gym has non adjustable inclines, set somewhere around 30 degrees. So I stick with flat bench, and ensure I don't arch my back to try and keep sternum parallel.

Hey Joseph, where can I find that flat bench/incline bench discussion on the board.  I'd like to check it out sometime.  Thanks for the reply!
Peace!

Back