continued bulking debate from 'j-reps' post

<div>
(scientific muscle @ Nov. 27 2006,16:11)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I was just poinitng out how being carb-loaded can positively effect training</div>
Carbs are an important factor in muscle growth. Although people say enough protein can compensate for the low levels of carbohydrates, they won't restore the glycogen levels you need for a quick recovery post workout.

I will say that you could eat very little carbs throughout the day and then eat maybe half a cup of brown rice after you lift.

Everybody is different and some people are carb sensative. You really should try testing different diets when lifting to find what works best for you.

I don't think you can grow without eating over maintenance. But you can grow without over eating and getting fat. You have to get the diet perfect and eat exactly the amount you need for:
&gt;ADL
&gt;Energy
&gt;Recovery
&gt;Growth

Hit it right and you will grow lean muscle without getting fat. Go over...get fat. Go under...don't grow.

If this is what you mean by &quot;maintenance&quot; then I believe you are dead on the money. I call &quot;maintenance&quot; the amount needed to stay exactly where you are, and you cannot grow on that. I call &quot;excess for lean bulking&quot; what I described above.

I think we are probably using different words for the same thing.

That statement is golden!

For people new to dieting and thinking about bulking up:

You need to find what your body burns off in a 24 hour period at complete rest(BMR), then you have to figure out how many calories you will need for the activities you plan on doing throughout the day(including excersize), Finally find a number that is within a modest calorie count and that is your excess.

I agree that carbs especially simple carbs post workout aid in recovery.

With much over maintenance calories lean or not. Now that I have mixed it with high demands and following low calories/low carb I see the effect. My temp goes up, my energy goes up and I can train harder and still recover fine. It doesn’t last long but the effect is there. It is as though my body says &quot;ok now that food is plentiful we can go for it&quot;, as lame as that explanation sounds ;^) There is a noticeable hormone rush/anabolic factor which is even reflected in an increased libido!

Regards,
Andrew
zone-training.net

Makes sense. What increases my core temp though is the arginine complex(NO2 Booster) and/or Jalepenos. I notice a rather large amount of heat increase when I eat peppers with my meals.

I try eat so that i prevent the feeling of hunger but not go over board. Some BBs eat whenever they get hungry but i feel if you are one step ahead of that, you might see better results.

Keep in mind though, that you still need to be considerate with food combos so that you stay as lean as possible.

Back