my routine from thurs 8th may
Session 2 of 10 reps

5 mins bike warmup
Squats 5x95 warmup and 2x10@138
Kneeling Leg curl [email protected] per leg
Incline Chest Press 5x 25 warmup and [email protected] per arm
Seated Row 5x32.5 warmup and 2x10@45 per arm
Shoulder Press [email protected] arm
Shrugs 2x10@28 per arm (help for 3 secs at top)
Bi Curls [email protected] per arm
Tri Pushdown 2x10@40
Crunches 35...just body weight for these now as I've already got some muscle there and don't want to look like that fire plug, cheers for tip quad
Calf extension 2x10@100

5mins cool down on x trainer.

I would normally use standard chess press but that was in use and as trying to keep tempo up while in lower weights went for the incline. So found them a struggle as not used it as much. Might start using it when go to 5 reps as could help keep the load progression going and avoid a zigzag.

Overall pleased with workout however I'm supprised at how much I can't of pushed myself previously as every weight used here was about average for 1-2 months ago, yet this didn't feel overly taxing and I have 13 more sessions planned all progresivly heavier than the previous.
I suppose it's more proof that HST works!!!

Body weight and BF not moved from 210lbs and 23% unfortunatly, but this because had a couple of dodgy diet days mid week. We're about to move into a big new custom built office and because everyone thinks I have qurky eating habbits(no differen to to the average high fatter) I've been selected to join a 'focus group' for the new canteen. Typically they only had pannini's and chips available the day of our visit!  This was followed by a Team night out to a local chinese restaurant. Looks like this weekends carb up came early!! Not to worry it's BBQ weather so I can get the grill stoked up and easily avoid the weekends carb temptations!!!

Sat 10th May 2008, 3rd session of 10reps
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Squats: wu=5x95, [email protected] kgs
Kneeling Leg Curl: 2x10@50kgs per leg
Chest Press: wu=5x30, 2 x10@40kgs per arm
Seated Row: wu= 5x30, [email protected] per arm
Shoulder Press: 2x10@45kgs per arm.....this is getting hard, had to force last one out, think I'll cluster this till I can nail them, as I know wont be able to get 47.5 out on monday
Shrugs: 2x10@30kgs p/a
Bicep Machine: 2x10@35kgs p/a
Tri Pushdown: [email protected]
35 Crunches
Calve extension :2x10@105kgs

My god it was hot in gym this morning, thankfully it was quiet. Havent sweated so much since last year when doing an hours steady state cardio after taking 3xthermopure's. Took advantage of the peace though and kept up a good pace thruout session. Kept rest to 30seconds max including changing exercise. Boy I was tired at the end but kinda felt I still had some in the locker. I really can't of been pushing myself previously.

Monday 12th May, session 4 on 10 reps.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Squats: (wu, 5x45 5x105) 10x157.5 x 2 10  
thought this was going to be a struggle but wasn't, was a sign of things to come!!!

Kneeling Leg Curl: [email protected] per leg

Chest Press: (wu 5x15 5x30), 10x42.5kgs x2 per arm
again thought I'd struggle, yet didn't even have to force last one out

Seated Row: (wu 5x15 5x30) 10x50kgs x2 per arm

Shoulder Press: 10x47.5kgs x2 per arm
didnt think i'd do this, as i struggled on sat, decided to go with the increase and glad I did as felt could go to 15,

Shrugs: 2x10@32kgs per arm

Bicep Machine: [email protected] per arm

Tri Pushdown: 2x10@45kgs

40 Crunches

Calve extension :2x10@110kgs

Thats easily the best workout I've ever had, wednesday can't come soon enough. Matched what was previous 10 rep max without even having to force a rep out. Thought I'd really struggle today as due to the office move had to lift 50 crates full of files, and was exhausted at end of shift.

Anyone got any tips on how to deadlift without a Barbell?
I have a smiths, ez bar or dumbells to 40kg available

Wednesday 15th May, session 5 of 10 reps
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Squats (wu 5x60 5x120) 10x167.5kgs 11x167.5 Personal Best, felt good at end of 2nd set so forced out 11th rep.  Could of done a 12th but I’m sticking to a schedule

Kneeling Leg Curl 10x55 10x55 (per leg)

Chest Press (wu 5x15 5x30) 10x45 7x45 4x45 (per arm) the 7th of 2nd set was nearly impossible and I couldn’t even move it for the 8th, so I did another 4 after a 15sec rest. 4th was to complete failure.  Will keep doing this until 45k has been nailed

Seated Row (wu 5x20 5x 40) 10x52.5 10x52.5 Personal Best (per arm)

Shoulder Press (wu 5x37.5) 10x 50 10x50 Personal Best (per arm) final 2 were totally forced out though, took about 5 seconds to lift on final raise.

Shrugs 10x34 10x34 (per arm)  might move these to earlier in routine once on 5’s as can feel grip going at this weight.

Bicep Machine 10x40 10x40 Personal Best (per arm)

Tri Pushdown 10x47 10x47 Personal Best

Calves Extension, didn’t manage to complete one as felt like right foot was going to pop.  

My foots hurt since Sunday when I’ve walked so had it checked yestaday at Docs, he reackons I’ve got ‘Tendonitis’ (sp).  Have some how damaged the protective layer of liquid around my little toes tendon so as I’m walking it’s grating against the bone.
It’s horrid, imagine the grating sensation that goes right thru you when you stretch a wool jumper or hold one in your teeth, I get that every time I move my foot.  And it hurts as well.

Friday 16th May 6th and final session of 10's
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

WOW what a session, broke PB's on all but 3 exercises, bring on the 5's!!

Squats wu +10x177.5x2 PB

Leg Curl 10x57.5 10x60(per leg) PB while resting, I thought I can do more than another set of 57.5, stuff it I'll go to 60. After I thought I could have done more. Will have to remember that for next time round

Chest Press wu+10x47.5 5x47.5 8x45(per arm) Forgot I struggled with this at 45 so upped weight as norm, the last of the 47.5 killed me so dropped a weight and pushed till failure.

Seated Row wu + 10x55x2 (per arm) PB this felt really good, especially as there were a group of bicep boys (who all looked much bigger than me), trying to show off on identical machine right next to me, until they realised I was pulling about 15k's per arm more than them, they suddenly went all quiet. It was hilarious

Shoulder Press 10x52.5 7x52.5 5x52.5 (per arm) disappointed with this

Shrugs 10x36x2 (per arm) PB can you shrug with a smith’s machine? as our DB's only go to 40 and will get that 3 sessions into the 5's

Bicep Curl Machine 10x42.5x2 (per arm)PB for the first time I looked at my arm tonight while doing this and seen something I've never seen before, a muscle on my arm!

Tri pushdowns 10x49.5x2 PB the last one wasn't half an effort

Crunches BWx40

Calve extensions 10x110x2 didn’t want to up this as my foot only just starting to feel a bit better now.

I'm feeling better and better every time I come out of the gym nowadays.
ROLL ON MONDAY and the start of the 5's.

Going to treat myself to a ducks egg with my tea tonight, I've earnt it I think.

Nice lifting Cookie. That's some really heavy iron you are shifting for 10 reps. Two sets with 390lb for squats is awesome. That's a massive shoulder press too. It's strange that this is higher than for your chest press?

One thing to watch is that you don't burn out before you've made good use of the 5s. I say this because I note you are trying to remove zig-zag between mesocycles and you are pushing for PRs already. Fatigue will build throughout a cycle and you want to be able to keep on top of the recovery wave for as long as possible so that when you get towards the end of the cycle you aren't completely frazzled.

Hope your foot isn't too bad now and hope you enjoyed your duck egg! Just the one?
biggrin.gif

The overall strengths vs the massive squats is odd. You're squatting at my strengths (not that my squats are great) so I must wonder if you're going very low. Not berating you bro, just asking.
Personally, I wouldn't do deadlifts in a smith machine unless I had no choice. Those things (and their history) scare me. The bigger problem would be switching from smith to BB later on without being used to pulling free. I could see that very easily causing some injury.
The smith IS however, great for shrugging.

<div>
(cookieftm @ May 17 2008,3:32)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">can you shrug with a smith’s machine?</div>
Yup, I use the Shirley Machine for my power shrugs and calf raises. It keeps me from tipping over...

cheers for the good words fellas,  

Between the ages of 9 and 14 i was a competitive swimmer and our training had a huge emphasis on leg strength, so since then I my legs have always been proportionally bigger than the rest of me.
Regards chest vs shoulders, untill recently i've allways neglected my chest in the gym, certainly the 3 different press movements, but I have allways worked my shoulders.   I supose this been a newbie and just doing what felt easier!!!

Good news on the deadlift/shrugs front.  the gym has just got an EZ Bar in, so planning on introducing this into my next full cycle.

...Lol, it's not that I'm purposely looking for PB's, I just don't think I've previously pushed as hard as I could of.  And looking back now I 've kinda guesstimated my rep maxes.  

Foots much better thanks, still hurts if on feet all day, keep needing to rest it for a bit, (doctors said foot up for 3-5 days, but wife wont let that happen!!!) should be nowt the matter come monday

Had 2 ducks eggs with me friday night steak, were fantastic, yolk was such a deep orange!!!

Aha! A swimmer! That explains everything.
biggrin.gif

I'd be interested to know what kind of training you used to do for shoulders and legs outside of pool work?

To be honest there was not a great deal of training away from the pool, just a hour a week on a running track, having to do star jumps and squatts on a whistle while we ran.

In the pool though we used wear the biggest, heaviest wooly jumper while doing length after length with either a kick board or a pull float.  and also treading water with it on, for what felt like hours at a time!!(was probly never more than 5/10 mins at once tho!)

Monday 19th May.  1st Session 5's
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

**warm up in brackets, working weight underlined**

Squats (wu 5x88 5x122.5 5x140) 175x5x3

Kneeling Leg Curl 42.5x5x3 (per leg)

Chest Press (wu 5x22.5 5x30 5x35) 42.5x5x3 (per arm)

Seated Row (wu 5x27.5 5x37.5 5x42.5) 52.5x5x3 (per arm)

Shoulder Press 47.5x5x4 (per arm)

Shrugs 34x5x4 (per arm)

Bicep Curls 40x5x4(per arm)

Tri Pushdown 47x5x4

Crunches 20, 15.

Calve Extensions 110x5x4

Didnt feel as though I'd worked as hard coming out of this one, however this was expected as they were similar/slightly less weights to the last sesh of 10's.
Felt a twinge in my left elbow while curling the bi, will need to monitor this.
Felt really funny stopping at 5's.  As if I hadn't done enough, thats why once moved from compounds I upped it to 4 sets instead of the planned 3 once I'd moved from the compounds.  I can imagine I'll feel a bit different to this once I'm closing in on my 5rm!!

...Quad,  I squatt to parallel with floor.  As stated before I use a machine and not BB's, however I had a play with it today and I can change the height of the shoulder pads.  Because my feet are on a platform I can set it so my butt is beyond A2G!!  Did it like this for my warm up and , my god, there is such a difference, I know what 'the hole' is now!.  I think in next cycle I'll work from somewhere between the two.  No doubt this will mean a drop in weights.

Not looking good for target, currently 214lbs (4lbs increase) and 21%, bf thats only a 2% decrease in 3 weeks. looking difficult for 15% in another 3 weeks!!!

To put a good spin on it though, does that not mean I've put 7lbs of muscle on in that period??

I mean...
210 lbs at 23% was 48.3lbs of fat
214 lbs at 21% is 45lbs of fat

so does this mean...
210-48=162 lbs lean body mass
214-45=169 lbs lean body mass??? an increase of 7lbs?

Is this good going for someone trying to cut???
Is my math correct???

Wednewday 21st May, 2nd session at 5 reps
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Didn't think this was going to be a good sessino today as I was thinking up all the excuses in the world as why I shouldn't go, but kept remember one thing in my head over and over..'a bad work out is better than no work out', so i dragged my self there.
The reason for the reluctance to go to the gym today was last night I accidently drank 2 bottles of wine, so my head felt a bit  
wow.gif

Got there in the end and this is what I did....
**warm up in brackets,  all weights in kg's**

Squats (wu 5x87.5 5x125 5x145) 177.5x5x2 177.5x10......felt a surge of energy thru me at the end of the 3rd set so continued thru to 10 reps  
rock.gif

Kneeling Leg Curl 60x5x4 (per leg)

Chest Press (5x22.5 5x32.5 5x35) 45x5x3 (per arm)

Seated Row (5x27.5 5x37.5 5x45) 55x5x3 (per arm)

Shoulder Press 50x5x5 (per arm)... felt realy easy so had another set

Shrugs 36x5x3 36x10x1 (per arm) ...like the squatts felt had more so went to 10 on last

Bicep Curls 42.5x5x4(per arm)

Tri Pushdown 49.5x5x4

Crunches 20, 15

Calve 112.5x5x4

xtrainer at 75% of total resistance.  2:30 steady then 30s sprint, 30 rest, 30 sprint....and so on for 10 mins total.

Thought I'd add some cardio at the end for two reasons,  mainly cause bf loss has slowed down and hoping adding this to end of sessions will kickstart it again, and secondaly, was hugely suprised at how much energy i felt i still had to burn once finished the weights.

Looking forward to friday now, because I questimated my origanl 5rep maxes at the begining and since the mid plan reshuffle I will start to knock some 5rm Pb's out with the planned increases.
biggrin.gif

Friday 23rd May, 3rd session of 5's
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Squats (5x95,127.5,147.5) 5x187.5x2 10x187.5  PERSONAL BEST FOR 10 REPS BY 10KGS!!! also PB for 5reps, cleary underestimated myself at start  
biggrin.gif

Kneeling Leg Curl  5x62.5 (per leg)x4

Chest Press (5x25,32.5,37.5) 5x47.5 (per arm)x3  PERSONAL BEST

Seated Row (5x30,40,45) 5x57.5 (per arm)x3 ....felt a little twinge in right shoulder blade, I've pulled the muscle thats here before.
mad.gif

Shrugs 5x36 (per arm) x4  ...38's and 40's were in use, glad they were cause that twinge has grown to be quite a pain while doing these.

Bicep Curls 5x45 (per arm)x4 ....shoulder not hurting to much here.

Tri Pushdown  5x52x4....the last one realy hurt shoulder

Crunches just the 20 as these also hur my shoulder

Calve extensions 5x120x4

I'm so glad it's Bank holiday weekend and the gym's not open this monday as my shoulder feels like it could do with a few days rest.  It doesn't hurt as much as last time I did it, however i'm expecting it to hurt like mad in the morning.

Tuesday 27th May. 4th session of 5 reps.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Been looking forward to this stage of the programme, thankfully the twinge I felt last time round went away by sunday night.

Brakets are warm ups. Bold/underlined are PB's
Squats (5x95, 135, 155) 5x187.5x2 10x187.5

Kneeling Leg Curl 5x65x4(per leg)

Chest Press (5x25, 35, 40) 5x50x4(per arm)

Seated Row (5x30, 42.5, 47.5) 5x60x4(per arm)

Shoulder Press (5x25) 5x55x4(per arm)

Shrugs 5x32 5x38x4 (per arm)

Bicep Curls 5x47.5x3(per arm)

Tri Pulldown 5x54x4

Crunches 20, 20.

Thats my best session ever!!! Can't believe I got 7 PBs in one go. And although I came out knackered I still kinda felt I had a bit more in the tank. I keep saying it, but I can't honestly believe that I used to think I was pushing myself hard.

Ha ha, had to laugh at myself though. I got dead excited cause I noticed the shadows of veins appearing on my Bi's, quad's and calfs. They havent popped up yet (too much bf still) but I can finally see them!!

Thursday 29th May Session 5 of 5 reps
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
(wu in brackets) PB’s underlined
Squats (5x97.5, 137.5, 157.5) 5x195x2 10x195

Kneeling Leg Curl 5x67.5x3 (per leg)

Chest Press (5x27.5, 37.5, 42.5) 5x52.5x3 5x50(per arm) was failing on final rep of 3rd 52.5, so dropped to 50 to ensure full set done

Seated Row (5x32.5, 45, 50) 5x62.5x3 (per arm)

Shoulder Press (5x25 35 45) 5x57.5x2, 3x57.5, hit failure here. (Per arm)

Hugely disappointed tonight, don’t think my shoulder is fully healed yet after all,  felt a stabbing pain in my shoulder during second working set of squats, I put it down to bad form at first as my shoulders didn’t feel comfortable under the pads. When I went for the 10 the pain was gone, so I carried on as normal.  Towards the end of the rows I could feel a tightening in my shoulder blade, and struggled to pick my water up from floor.  By the end of the Shoulder press I was in agony so I called it day then.  I wanted to continue as I had PB on shrugs lined up next, but I thought would be best if I cut my losses and went before I did any serious injury.  Never mind still hit PB’s on everything else I did.  
I’m no good with muscle names, but I think it’s my right mid trap that’s hurting.

This morning it really hurts, there is a kind of line of pain almost from my right shoulder across to my spine. Can hardly turn my head to the right, and most certainly can’t look down.  I could do with taking a day off from the office, but need to put a full day in today otherwise I’ll end the month with negative flexitime, and can’t afford that.

Think I’ll wait till mid week next week before setting foot in the gym again.  Which is a shame as I had a full card of PB’s lined up for Saturdays session

It's possible you may have a tight/cramping rhomboid on that side. I often get this from rows during the course of a cycle. It seems like it's your traps because of the neck issue but I'm pretty sure it's actually a rhomboid issue.

I went to a physio but she was next to useless as she couldn't push hard enough on the area and didn't really figure out what the problem was. Well, after much frustration (and pain) I found a way to sort it out myself.

I just happen to have a cupboard door with a round button handle about 1.5&quot; in diameter. If I crouch down with my back to the door, I can lean all my weight (or as much as I like) onto the handle and move around until I hit the tight muscle. Then I focus on that area and massage away for about a minute.

Don't be surprised if you find the painful bit is further down than you expected. I thought my problem was in my neck because I couldn't turn my head without pain. I tried to find where on my neck it hurt the most but I just couldn't seem to find any one place that was more sensitive than any other. Then when I put pressure lower down on my back I suddenly found the tender area!

If you get the massage right it has almost a miraculous effect; you can feel the muscle spasm dissolve away as you work on it. Be warned that when you try this the first time you will feel a pretty intense sensation once you find the correct spot. It sort of takes your breath away (not in a good way
biggrin.gif
). Keep massaging though and you will feel the tension ease and the discomfort will subside.

After a quick session my neck feels totally free again and it's like the problem just went away. However, I usually find that it starts to tighten up again quite soon so I have to keep going back for another quick session.

Some cycles I get it on one side and other times it'll be the other. It's mainly my right side though.

Hope this is something that can help in your case.

cheers lol, will try that tonight, fingers crossed it'll do the trick, gotta holiday comming up in just over a week and was hoping to but a bit more sweat and tears in b4 i go

After taking it easy on my back/shoulder since last thursday, it's feeling much better now. I have however been left with a slight pain down thru my right arm (about where my tricep is) that hurts a lot when ever I walk. Tried to curl a 10kg db in garage last night and it hurt so have decided start my SD earlier than anticipated, which is a shame. But I'm off on a week long jolly to turkey in 4 days time so I suppose it make sense. And will hopefully ensure I'm 100% fit and ready to start again when I get back.

I'll have to start off with a week of re setting my rep maxes as my strength has increased quite a lot through this first hst cycle and I'm also going to be introducing a lot of new exercises. In fact the majority of my new routine will be new to me as I'M DROPPING THE MACHINES.

My new routine will have 2 different workouts ie A and B so will do each 3x per mini cycle.

A
ATG Squats (this and calves will be the only 2 machines now, due to equipment limits)
Incline db press
Weighted pull ups
Close grip bench press
SLDL

B
Deadlift
Flat barbell bench press
DB shoulder press [upright]
Wide grip barbell curls sset with close grip curls
Kneeling db row
Calve extenstion

Have dropped this down to 5/6 movements per session from my previous 10 as I found once the weights got heavy I was sometimes hitting 75-90 mins per workout.

Back