coral calcium: what's the real deal?

mikeynov

Super Moderator
Staff member
coral calcium seems to be the 'latest rage' in vitamin/mineral supplements, and i'm curious if people can link me to reasonable peer review/informed opinions on the subject.

i know there have been some studies recently correlating increased calcium intake (via dairy intake) to increased fat loss, so i was curious if makers' of coral calcium's claims that it was more 'bioavailable' and such were actually correct.

bryan? blade? anyone? :)

-michael

there is something in milk that increases calcium absorbsion (well unless you are one of those no milk nutters)

In terms of calcium and fat loss, dairy seemed to work out better than supplemental sources (in at least one study)

Remember:
Supplement manufacturers dont have to provide proof that their product is better than the opposition brand

They are trying to make a huge profit

THey will tell you anything in order to make that huge profit.

See anything by a certain supplement manufacturer that started advertising in MMI with certain 6 page 'adverts'

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Aaron_F @ April 29 2003,7:06)]there is something in milk that increases calcium absorbsion (well unless you are one of those no milk nutters)
In terms of calcium and fat loss, dairy seemed to work out better than supplemental sources (in at least one study)
Remember:
Supplement manufacturers dont have to provide proof that their product is better than the opposition brand
They are trying to make a huge profit
THey will tell you anything in order to make that huge profit.
See anything by a certain supplement manufacturer that started advertising in MMI with certain 6 page 'adverts'
have they identified that something? vitamin D is correlated with calcium absorbtion i know...vitamin D chocolate milk is the biznam!

Not that I know of, theres just something in dairy that makes absorbtion better.

much like the meat fish poultry factor that increases absorbtion of iron.

It's vit D, they also prescribe it together with calcium supplements for osteoporosis. Since it is a fat-soluble vitamin, low-fat milk has lower amounts of it and consequently hinders calcium absorption.

I have been taking Bob Barefoot's (aka the king of calcium) formulated version of coral calcium for over a year now. I have to say it is by far the best supplement I have in my arsenal! It has the proper balance of magnesium and calcium ratio along with 50 trace minerals. I have been afflicted with severe asthma and allergies for 25 of my 26 years of life on this planet. After a few months of taking coral calcium I was able to get off all of my asthma medications, steriod inhalers, and pharmaceutical allergy medications. I stand by it 100%, it really helped me in my life! Plus, I rarely get viruses anymore, before I caught everything that blew in the wind.

Sorry, I don't believe all the hype:

"Bob Barefoot Coral Calcium is a natural therapy ensuring healthy and long life. Thanks to Bob Barefoot, Coral Calcium benefits were highlighted. From curing eczema to preventing gallstones and kidney stones, Bob Barefoot Coral Calcium is the ultimate wonder drug!"

There are no wonder drugs. This seems to me an overprized way to get a multivitamin supplement rich in Magnesium & Calcium. Get a cheap multivitamin and supplement with more Calcium and Magnesium, 2:1 if you like.

Statements like the above actually repel me. By searching around the Web I found even more absurd claims, relative to MS and cancer. Someone should stop these dangerous imposters, getting rich from desperate people's delusive hopes.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (micmic @ April 30 2003,9:39)]It's vit D, they also prescribe it together with calcium supplements for osteoporosis. Since it is a fat-soluble vitamin, low-fat milk has lower amounts of it and consequently hinders calcium absorption.
1, 25 Dehydrovitamin D is involved in the absorbtion of caclium in the gut, but its not the factor I was meaning.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]1, 25 Dehydrovitamin D is involved in the absorbtion of caclium in the gut, but its not the factor I was meaning.

That settles it :) But what exactly that factor is ? Are they sure it exists or they are just speculating ?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (micmic @ May 01 2003,10:56)]That settles it :) But what exactly that factor is ? Are they sure it exists or they are just speculating ?
I had something on it, but now cant find it. Probably just speculating (but they speculate on the MFP factor for Iron as well, they just havent found what it is yet...)

Vitamin D does help increase calcium absoption tho, but not thru its presence in the food per se, but due to its presence in the body.

Please don't be so closed minded on something unless you have tried it for yourself. Calcium is a a mineral that everybody needs. I was probably very deficient in it. I am not trying to sell this product. I just am trying to tell others what benefits I have derived from taking it.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Please don't be so closed minded on something unless you have tried it for yourself. Calcium is a a mineral that everybody needs. I was probably very deficient in it. I am not trying to sell this product. I just am trying to tell others what benefits I have derived from taking it.

I don't question the results you experienced. Looking at what this stuff contains it's obvious that you could have got them in a cheaper way, but it's no big deal. What triggered my outburst was the outrageous hints (and perhaps claims) that this product can cure or improve AIDS, MS and cancer. By looking around I understood that some of these claims come from Bob Barefoot himself, in which case I wouldn't trust even bottled water with his name on it.

According to the study below, "data...suggest that the calcium of coral origin is better absorbed from the intestine than calcium of calcium carbonate origin on the average."

Calcium absorption from the ingestion of coral-derived calcium by humans. Ishitani K, Itakura E, Goto S, Esashi T. [J Nutr Sci Vitaminol (Tokyo). 1999 Oct;45(5):509-17]

Keep in mind that this is only one study, and is only a comparison of two specific calcium supplements which were added to food and consumed by the study group. I'm of the opinion that calcium obtained from whole food sources is better than relying on supplements anyway. Aside from dairy, vegetables like broccoli, spinach, kale, and other leafy greens are good sources. Yogurt (lowfat or nonfat) is one of the best dairy sources of calcium, ounce for ounce, according to a nutrition fact sheet published by Ohio State University.

That said, I can also report that my wife has benefitted greatly from calcium supplementation (Super CalMag Plus, from Shaklee). She used to suffer from muscle spasms, leg cramps, and severe mentrual cramps...after taking the calcium supplement, the spasms and cramps have all but disappeared. I seem to get plenty of calcium from my diet (I'm a big milk drinker, whereas she is not) so I haven't seen any noticeable difference when I add supplemental calcium. So I don't.

Hope that's useful! :)
bc

[b said:
Quote[/b] (ben catania @ May 01 2003,5:34)]According to the study below, "data...suggest that the calcium of coral origin is better absorbed from the intestine than calcium of calcium carbonate origin on the average."
Calcium absorption from the ingestion of coral-derived calcium by humans. Ishitani K, Itakura E, Goto S, Esashi T. [J Nutr Sci Vitaminol (Tokyo). 1999 Oct;45(5):509-17]
Keep in mind that this is only one study, and is only a comparison of two specific calcium supplements which were added to food and consumed by the study group. I'm of the opinion that calcium obtained from whole food sources is better than relying on supplements anyway. Aside from dairy, vegetables like broccoli, spinach, kale, and other leafy greens are good sources. Yogurt (lowfat or nonfat) is one of the best dairy sources of calcium, ounce for ounce, according to a nutrition fact sheet published by Ohio State University.
That said, I can also report that my wife has benefitted greatly from calcium supplementation (Super CalMag Plus, from Shaklee). She used to suffer from muscle spasms, leg cramps, and severe mentrual cramps...after taking the calcium supplement, the spasms and cramps have all but disappeared. I seem to get plenty of calcium from my diet (I'm a big milk drinker, whereas she is not) so I haven't seen any noticeable difference when I add supplemental calcium. So I don't.
Hope that's useful! :)
bc
thank you much sir, and everyone that contributed :)

i went ahead and bought some coral calcium with 400 IU of vitamin D per dose.

this bottle was only something like $8, though, and i notice the 'name' brands can literally be twice as expensive (for the same amount of stuff). assuming both are actually coral calcium and both contain the ingredients that they claim, i'm curious why the huge price discrepancy. generally i'm cautious on buying 'cheap' items, but the price of some coral calcium seems outrageous. zma-type logic.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (ben catania @ May 02 2003,11:34)]Calcium absorption from the ingestion of coral-derived calcium by humans. Ishitani K, Itakura E, Goto S, Esashi T. [J Nutr Sci Vitaminol (Tokyo). 1999 Oct;45(5):509-17]
Only having seen the abstract (dont think we have the japanese journal at uni) it shows very little evidence.

e degree of intestinal absorption of calcium from coral-added crackers and that from calcium carbonate-added crackers was evaluated in terms of increment in urinary calcium excretion per dL of glomerular filtrate (GF) (difference between coral calcium and calcium carbonate) and increase in urinary calcium excretion per milligram creatinine (difference from control value).
This is bad, because intestinal absorbtion hasnt much to do with urinary output.
Intestinal absorbtion is intake - fecal excretion (a number of factors as well). Whole body retention has more to do with urinary excretition than intestinal absrobtion
There are too many other factors that affect urinary excretion than just intake of a small supplemental calcium. Other dietary factors yada yada yada

I actually saw an infomercial with this guy yesterday. He was talking about a life expectancy of up to 120 years, great results from cancer pacients, MS, aids, etc.....

Unbelievable. Even if it has a better absorption rate than calcium carbonate how important can that be? I can get 100 gr of pharmaceutical grade calcium carbonate for 0.60 € at my local pharmacy...

It differentiates the products from others, basically one thing. Money.

If you have a different product, that you can say works better (although there is nothing really anywhere to prove that it does) you can charge more...

I mean, look at the lengths biotest has gone to with their advertising trying to show Hot-Rox is better than plain EC, even tho there is no proof that its any better, altho it does cost a *$%^ing site more...

THey must have a std training form for wanna be manufacturers.
1) lie
2) raise your prices
3) dont put in what you say you did
4) claim extreme benifit (cures aids, cancer yada yada yada)
5) say the oppostition is selling junk
6) claim the government doesnt want you to know/the (enter any business that looks good) are in control.
7) raise your prices
:D

No disrespect to anyone who feels their health is better for having used coral calcium, but PLEASE do not support this kind of fraudulent marketing that is portrayed in the infomercials for coral calcium.

Yes, calcium is an important nutrient, but even better absorption does not make it significantly more valuable than any other quality calcium supplement, not to mention a glass of milk.

Don’t forget that the body accommodates differences in absorption of all vitamins and minerals. When a nutrient is poorly absorbed, the body will makes adjustments to increase absorption as well as retention of the nutrient in the body. There is nothing magical about coral calcium. But there is a LOT unethical about the way they are making false claims about it, and virtually stealing people’s money because of these false claims.

If you get coral calcium for the same price as any other calcium supplement, fine use it. But if you are buying it because of the infomercials, please rethink the purchase and save your money.

Thanks, Bryan. I agree 100%.

Another reason there is nothing special about coral calcium compared to other forms: it's the same mineral. When corals grow, they absorb calcium ions from seawater. Reefkeepers feed their tanks with calcium carbonate.

It's just calcium.

If you want to make an argument for the value of trace minerals, fine. There may be value there. If there is, you should eat less supplements and more healthy food. It contains lots of trace minerals that plants pull from the soil and the sea.

I'm not against supplmentation, mind you. Calcium supplmenetation can help people with a variety of conditions. But people get overcharged for the same thing in a fancy package far too often.

Date: 5/16/2003

For More Information Contact:
Judy Blatman
Council for Responsible Nutrition (CRN)
Telephone: 202-204-7962

------------------------------------------------------------

Supplement Industry Trade Association Urges Crackdown on Coral Calcium Claims

------------------------------------------------------------

WASHINGTON, D.C., May 16, 2003 --- The Council for Responsible Nutrition (CRN), one of the dietary supplement industry's leading trade associations, yesterday urged the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) and the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) to take action against outrageous marketing claims for the dietary supplement product, coral calcium.

CRN sent a five-page letter to the regulatory agencies requesting enforcement action be taken against the "miracle cure" marketing claims being made for coral calcium by Robert Barefoot and other companies marketing coral calcium products using unsubstantiated claims. The letter was developed in consultation with Anne Maher, Esq., former assistant director of the FTC Division of Advertising Practices.

According to CRN President Annette Dickinson, Ph.D., "The entire industry is tarnished when irresponsible companies appear to be getting away with making illegal claims. The dietary supplement industry is regulated by FDA and FTC and we look to those agencies to take appropriate enforcement action so consumers can trust that dietary supplements are marketed truthfully."

Coral calcium undoubtedly has the recognized benefits of all sources of calcium in building and maintaining healthy bones; however, some of the claims being made for certain coral calcium products go far beyond what is approved and what can be substantiated.

CRN recently joined with other industry trade associations in issuing an industry advisory for marketers, retailers and consumers urging them not to promote, sell or purchase dietary supplement products claiming to prevent, treat or cure SARS. A similar industry-wide advisory was issued for anthrax in 2001.

CRN, founded in 1973, represents mainstream dietary supplement ingredient suppliers and manufacturers. CRN members adhere to a strong code of ethics, comply with dosage limits and manufacture dietary supplements to high quality standards under good manufacturing practices.

A copy of the CRN letter to FDA and FTC is available at: http://www.crnusa.org/leg_comments_FDA.html

Back