Cutting Diet

Here's an easy solution without all the hasle - CARDIO!! I never lower cals, I just increase or decrease cardio sessions according to my goals. I either run in the morning on an epmty stomach or I run after a WO.

HIIT is also an awsome way to go, even when bulking.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (BoSox @ Sep. 15 2004,6:27)]eating several meals does not increase metabolism.
Although I'm not sure if this statment is true, I do know that several smaller meals through out the day is better than a couple larger meals each day.

I usually eat every 2 hrs, and 5-7 meals a day.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (MrNasty @ Sep. 15 2004,7:28)]Although I'm not sure if this statment is true, I do know that several smaller meals through out the day is better than a couple larger meals each day.
you'll need to be more specific than just "better." It helps some people hold off hunger so they don't overeat during fewer meals, but it does not elevate your metabolism, that is a myth.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (BoSox @ Sep. 15 2004,7:38)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (MrNasty @ Sep. 15 2004,7:28)]Although I'm not sure if this statment is true, I do know that several smaller meals through out the day is better than a couple larger meals each day.
you'll need to be more specific than just "better." It helps some people hold off hunger so they don't overeat during fewer meals, but it does not elevate your metabolism, that is a myth.
It (smaller frequent meals) does, however, aid in digestion and nutrient absorbtion. As for the metabo issue, I dont know; although it would sense to assume metabo rate would be effected.

And maybe I miss understood you, but when I eat smaller more frequent meals I feel like I'm starving. I like to keep my number of meals around 5 ED (5 medium size meals).

For all people claiming that multiple meals per day is better for anything, can you provide evidence

However, saying I did it and it worked for me does not constitute anything.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Aaron_F @ Sep. 15 2004,10:17)]For all people claiming that multiple meals per day is better for anything, can you provide evidence
However, saying I did it and it worked for me does not constitute anything.
Im no scientist, but I do know that when I increased my meals per day ( cals stayed bout the same, maybe shade more) I lost more fat. I dont have a scientific degree, but I do know what common sense is. My body was proof that more meals effected something, ( i.e metabolism)

[b said:
Quote[/b] (BoSox @ Sep. 16 2004,6:10)]not at all, since there were absolutely no controls.
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]saying I did it and it worked for me does not constitute anything.
Well, just as you told me BoSox, you'll need to be more specific & we will need more than "just your word". How about some evidence that suggests metabo is not effected by smaller more frequent meals?

As everyone else has stated, I too respond better to smaller more frequent meals. I shed more body fat when eating in this fashion even though cals stay maintenance. I'm also less full and uncomfortable feeling after each meal. And smaller more frequent meals keep me hungry and able to eat rather than filling me up and leaving me gasious. :D They seem to stimulate my appitite so to speak.

The proof is in my experience, IMO - as well as everyone elses it seems. Science might suggest differently, but it seems to work well for me, as opposed to less frequent larger meals.

Now how about that scientifit mumbo jumbo?

I need to give you evidence to prove something DOESN'T happen?

Would you like me to prove that eating grass doesn't make your nose run?

Do a pubmed search

1. search for: Thermic effect feeding
2. search for: Metabolic meal frequency
3. search for: Nibbling gorging

You'll see that there is very little evidence associated to any advantages of increasing meal frequency and it's benefical effect on RMR in an isocaloric diet. It is all about energy density and energy use.

While its common in the Bodybuilding world to say that increased meals = increased metabolisms, there is absolutely NO proof for this

it was commonly found that obese people ate less often than lean, but this has the poblems of causality.

for a start there is this

THe main idea that the multiple meals = reduced calorie intake in ad lib diets also doesnt seem to hang around into longer term trails.

but in simpler words, at the same caloric intake, higher meal frequency does not make a difference over lower meal frequency.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Im no scientist, but I do know that when I increased my meals per day ( cals stayed bout the same, maybe shade more) I lost more fat
This is what I asked people not to provide. Adnecdotes do not constitute anything, as they are uncontrolled. argumentum ad numerum adds nothing to a discussion.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (MrNasty @ Sep. 16 2004,6:23)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (BoSox @ Sep. 16 2004,6:10)]not at all, since there were absolutely no controls.
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]saying I did it and it worked for me does not constitute anything.
Well, just as you told me BoSox, you'll need to be more specific & we will need more than "just your word". How about some evidence that suggests metabo is not effected by smaller more frequent meals?
As everyone else has stated, I too respond better to smaller more frequent meals. I shed more body fat when eating in this fashion even though cals stay maintenance. I'm also less full and uncomfortable feeling after each meal. And smaller more frequent meals keep me hungry and able to eat rather than filling me up and leaving me gasious. :D They seem to stimulate my appitite so to speak.
The proof is in my experience, IMO - as well as everyone elses it seems. Science might suggest differently, but it seems to work well for me, as opposed to less frequent larger meals.
Now how about that scientifit mumbo jumbo?
At the least it probably helped you stay on your diet (i.e worked for you). Your weight loss is calories in versus calories out ;bottomline. Problem with cutting and frequent meals is that the "meals" are total teases. For a lot of folks 3-4 meals atleast satiate hunger better. Anecdotal evidence is just that.

Also it is unlikey that eating more frequently helps reduce hunger. A study in 2000 by Johnstone Et al, shows
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Effect of snack v. no-snack schedule on feeding behaviour

Changes in the diurnal distribution of EI have been found to have little effect on the energy expenditure side of the energy equation. It has also been shown that meal frequency (at the same level of EI) does not affect RMR, diet-induced thermogenesis, energy expended in physical activity or total daily energy expenditure in men or women.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Effect of the pattern of food intake on human energy metabolism.

Verboeket-van de Venne WP, Westerterp KR, Kester AD.

Department of Human Biology, University of Limburg, Maastricht, The Netherlands.

The pattern of food intake can affect the regulation of body weight and lipogenesis. We studied the effect of meal frequency on human energy expenditure (EE) and its components. During 1 week ten male adults (age 25-61 years, body mass index 20.7-30.4 kg/m2) were fed to energy balance at two meals/d (gorging pattern) and during another week at seven meals/d (nibbling pattern). For the first 6 d of each week the food was provided at home, followed by a 36 h stay in a respiration chamber. O2 consumption and CO2 production (and hence EE) were calculated over 24 h. EE in free-living conditions was measured over the 2 weeks with doubly-labelled water (average daily metabolic rate, ADMR). The three major components of ADMR are basal metabolic rate (BMR), diet-induced thermogenesis (DIT) and EE for physical activity (ACT). There was no significant effect of meal frequency on 24 h EE or ADMR. Furthermore, BMR and ACT did not differ between the two patterns. DIT was significantly elevated in the gorging pattern, but this effect was neutralized by correction for the relevant time interval. With the method used for determination of DIT no significant effect of meal frequency on the contribution of DIT to ADMR could be demonstrated.
Although I don't have the full text of the review Aaron posted it wouldn't surprise me to see this being one of the studies reviewed, since it is commonly cited in others.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (BoSox @ Sep. 17 2004,11:28)]told ya so
Oh my Good Gosh, We're in grade school again.

I was not arguing whether or not meal frequency effected metabo, I was arguing that eating more frequently is better for you -- in terms of digestion and nutrient absorption. I was simply making a statment on how I felt meal frequency effected me.

Which was:
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]As everyone else has stated, I too respond better to smaller more frequent meals. I shed more body fat when eating in this fashion even though cals stay maintenance. I'm also less full and uncomfortable feeling after each meal. And smaller more frequent meals keep me hungry and able to eat rather than filling me up and leaving me gasious. They seem to stimulate my appitite so to speak.

I stand by that statement. No science or studies can tell me how I feel or am effected -- they cannot tell me the results of my trials and tribs either. I would much rather eat smaller more frequently then 3 or even 4 larger meals each day. That's just me -- my preference.

Thanks though, to everyone who shared the research and information about the studies concerning this issue. Very informational.

I'm pretty sure the whole reason eating several small meals today became popular in bodybuilding circles is more or less an attempt at allways having protein available in the body.

So i'm wondering ... if in the end it's just calories that matter, hence 3 meals is the same as 6 if the calorie are the same, what about the protein?

Is it safe to assume that eating all that food in 3 meals instead of 6 is going to only keep your amino acid levels high for a couple hours, instead of 6 meals a day, where you would allways have a fresh source of protein digesting?

Amino acid delivery is a different issue especially with someone who is constantly trying to maintain protein systhesis and positve nitrogen balance. So not to hijack this thread, go read the articles on Pre/Post protein (which I know you have Lance) and the protein myths, look up the references Bryan cites you 'll find the answers there.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ] I was arguing that eating more frequently is better for you -- in terms of digestion and nutrient absorption
which it also doesn't really, do but okay. Maybe your body functions differently than everyone else's, who knows.
sneaky2.gif
:)

[b said:
Quote[/b] (BoSox @ Sep. 18 2004,10:56)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] ] I was arguing that eating more frequently is better for you -- in terms of digestion and nutrient absorption
which it also doesn't really, do but okay. Maybe your body functions differently than everyone else's, who knows.
sneaky2.gif
:)
So your telling me the body can process 20g of protien the same as it would of 80g of protien during one meal? RIGHT! You got to be kidding bro.

If your goal is 240g of protien a day, your much better off eating 40g per meal at 6 meals than 80g per per meal at 3 meals. The body will digest & absorb it much more easily at 40g per meal than 80g. And then the issue of protien synthesis and nitro balance comes in to play - which obviously calls for a constant consumption of protiens anyway.

Back