Cycle #10 - 2x/week HST + "Caveman" Workout

Not so. Those shouldn't be done with big weights compared to deads, since your erector spinae are doing most of the lift, and with the sldl's (which compare to these) are doing almost ALL the lift. It's no different than hypers, and I should probably be doing one of them myself, having been weak in this area by trying to "save" it from back pain.
I had no idea that by excluding  stuff like this, I was exacerbating the pain by making that area weaker, but there ya go. Dr. Sarno's book, Healing Back Pain, dealt exactly with that stuff after the mental aspects of it all. I never would have thought I'd be doing squats and deads again...and a 435 dead at 53 wasn't shabby after 30+ years of back pain! (supposedly caused by a 'crushed disc')  -  I still have the same disc, but very little pain.
I'm thinking lately that we do deads for legs, mostly - but back second. Since I fail at the floor, I may need more back work, even though the movement is initiated by the legs, or is supposed to be. I'm going to talk to our local PL coach and gym owner today.

Workout - 7/16/07 - Pushing my 5 RM

HIT Warmup:
Side Bends: 60 - 15, 70 - 10, 80 - 5
Seated Calf Raises: 45 - 15, 90 - 10, 135 - 5

HST Workout:
Romanian Deadlift: 135 - WU, 225 - 5, PR 295 - 5, 225 - 10
Pendlay Rows: 135 - 5, 155 - 5
Bench Press: 135 - WU, PR 190 - 5, PR 195 - 5, PR 200 - 3 + 2 spotted reps, 135 - 10
Chins: PR BW-40 - 5, BW-90 - 10
Arnold Press: 45's - 5, 20's - 10

HIT Exhaustion
Cuban Press & Reverse Curl Combo: 45 - 15, 10, 5

Comments:
I decided to alternate my deads and rack pulls. I saw a guy doing the same style of deadlifts right after me, but with 100 more pounds! Considering actual deadlifts are a bit tougher than their Romanian/SL cousins, I'm a bit upset that my #'s are this low. Oh well, I'm young - all in due time. Making PR's on my bench press was great.

Gym was fairly standard, but had a poor power rack and no bumper plates as usual. Their rates were fairly expensive @ $77/month.

In regards to correct deadlift form and throwing out one's back...

EXRX Article

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I have supervised hundreds of individuals who have performed the straight leg deadlift and similar exercises with excellent results. Individuals with ocassional lower back pain have reported dramatically less low back discomfort.</div>

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">The body can adapt to practically any natural stress as long as following conditions exist

* Warm up
o Muscle and joint structures
o Specific movement(s) used for exercise
* Complete recovery between training bouts
o Physical Overtraining
o &quot;Lighter&quot; days or periods can be scheduled into program
* Increases of intensity or volume are progressive
o Small increases of intensity between adaptations
o Small increases of weekly training volume
* Orthopedic structures are free of Mechanical Deficiencies
o Previous injury or disease
+ Past injury is the greatest predictor of future injury
o Orthopedic imbalance
+ Antagonist strength ratios
+ Flexibility
o Adaptation is still possible
</div>

Congrats on the records, Colby! Great lifting!!!!!!!

You're right - $77/mo is incredibly excessive. Did they have strippers walking around to wipe the sweat from your brow or something?
biggrin.gif

<div>
(fearfactory @ Jul. 13 2007,23:32)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">congrats on your bench Colby.

deads have strengthened my lower back. but I've seen people &quot;throw their backs out&quot; and get hurt bad in normal everyday life...just pulling cable or stepping off a curb.

I can't see that performing a deadlift with good form in a controlled environment as being a bad thing.

Maybe your friend has seen some competitive people hurt themselves by attempting heavy weights with little practice?</div>
He hurt his back when he was young. I'm not sure how, but it could have been by using bad form or quick reps / little TUT.

As you say, you can hurt your back doing the simplest of things. My lower back pain has been all but eliminated since starting deadlifts a year ago, and I have no plans to stop.

I may try alternating deadlifts and their Romanian counterpart (what I currently perform) next cycle.

It's a thought. Thanks for the tips guys.

thanks for posting that article.

got a kick out of - &quot;If you can't use chopsticks, don't blame it on the sticks&quot;

it's been a while since I've thought about straight leg deadlifts w/ a rounded back. I've done them extensively in the past, using light DB's and keeping the load as close as possible...they worked quite well.

I was unfamiliar with the romanian DL until looking at that link posted above... granted the videos are pretty low quality, but what is the significant difference between romanians and SLDL's? It looked as though there might have been a slightly greater bend at the knees in the romanians.

Would you classify them as in the middle of conventional DL's and SLDL's?

<div>
(UFGatorDude30 @ Jul. 17 2007,11:16)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I was unfamiliar with the romanian DL until looking at that link posted above... granted the videos are pretty low quality, but what is the significant difference between romanians and SLDL's? It looked as though there might have been a slightly greater bend at the knees in the romanians.

Would you classify them as in the middle of conventional DL's and SLDL's?</div>
Check out this video from Shaf, it should make it a bit clearer about the differences.

Workout - 7/18/07 - From my 5RM to my 3RM

HIT Warmup:
Side Bends: 60 - 15, 80 - 10, 100 - 5
Seated Calf Raises: 50 - 15, 120 - 10, 140 - 5

HST Workout:
Rack Pulls: 225 - WU, 315 - 5, PR 365 - 5, PR 405 - 3, 225 - 15
DB Bent Over Rows: 20's - 5, 45's - 5, 65's - 5, 75's - 5
Bench Press: 135 - WU, PR 200 - 5, PR 225 - 1, 135 - 15
Chins: PR BW-30 - 5, BW-90 - 10
Arnold Press: PR 50's - 5, PR 55's - 4

HIT Exhaustion
Cuban Press &amp; Reverse Curl Combo: 45 - 9

Comments:
The WO went great today. I have ditched the Pendlay Rows because I am not comfortable with the exercise. I don't like how my back posture is. However, I do like the stability of DB Bent Over Rows on a bench (one-arm approach). As always with any new exercise, I will have to work on my form.

I will start trying out some new exercises in the coming days for my next cycle.

Once again, I skipped HIIT today. However, it wasn't because I was out of time or worn out. My shoes keep on slipping on the treadmills. It looks like they're getting old, so I will have to stick to solid ground for running from now on.
laugh.gif

I think the 310 (Romanian) Deadlift is within sight on Friday! Who knows, maybe 350?

good luck w/ your deads Colby! how long do you anticipate stringing out the 5's? I noticed in your new log that &quot;5x5&quot; is starting on 8-1. do you intend to SD prior to making the transition?

btw, I liked the 5x5 overview thread you made. I'd been curious to know what the program entailed...

<div>
(fearfactory @ Jul. 18 2007,19:35)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">good luck w/ your deads Colby! how long do you anticipate stringing out the 5's? I noticed in your new log that &quot;5x5&quot; is starting on 8-1. do you intend to SD prior to making the transition?

btw, I liked the 5x5 overview thread you made. I'd been curious to know what the program entailed...</div>
I am doing post-5's through next Wednesday. Since I will still be cutting, the SD period will be a short time of six days.

Thanks

Workout - 7/21/07 - Pushing the Limit

HIT Warmup:
Seated Calf Raises: 70 - 15, 120 - 10, 150 - 5

HST Workout:
Hang Jump Shrug: 95 - 5
Romanian Deadlift: 135/225 - WU, PR 315 - 5, 365 - .5, 225 - 10
Push Press: 45 - 10, 95 - 3
Chins: PR BW-20 - 3
DB Bent Over Rows: 85's - 5, 65's - 10
Arnold Press: PR 60's - 4

HIT Exhaustion
Reverse Curl Cuban Press: 25 - 15, 35 - 10, 45 - 5
Farmer's Walk (76 paces): 25's - full lap, 40's - full lap

Comments:
From my last WO: &quot;I think the 310 (Romanian) Deadlift is within sight on Friday! Who knows, maybe 350?&quot;

Woohoo! I pulled 315 pounds for 5 reps! I was exhausted when I tried to pull 365 for at least one rep. I'll do my max lift for the Romanian Deadlift on Wednesday.

I tried out Hang Jump Shrugs and Push Press. Those exercises work out more than just the shoulders and traps. My strength on the push press was much less than I thought it would be.

I skipped my bench workout today. I figure some rest will do me some good for Monday's WO.

*My workout was supposed to be yesterday, but my mind was on some other things as I got engaged last night.
smile.gif

The diet results for the past week were pretty standard. I continue to have sub-par weekends.

Tonight, I just went out for some sprint training &amp; jogging.

Congrats on the engagement man! I'll be lookin foward to seeing what you end up with on the deads this week. Should be interesting to see what this summer's interesting workout scenario shall end up producing.

<div>
(UFGatorDude30 @ Jul. 22 2007,22:07)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Congrats on the engagement man! I'll be lookin foward to seeing what you end up with on the deads this week. Should be interesting to see what this summer's interesting workout scenario shall end up producing.</div>
Thank You!

I have two WO's this week: one later today and one on Wednesday.

I am pushing for PR's at my max lift (RM) this week.

Workout - 7/23/07 - Max Lift 1RM

HIT Warmup:
Side Bends: 60 - 15, 80 - 10, 100 - 5
Seated Calf Raises: 45 - 15, 90 - 10, 140 - 5

HST Workout:
Rack Pulls: 135, 225, 315 - WU, PR 405 - 1, 495 - barely anything, 475 - halfway &amp; left hand failed, 455 the same as last set, 405 - 1, 225 - 5
Bench Press: 135 - WU, 225 - 1 spotted rep, but all me, PR 235 - 1 spotted rep
Chins: BW - 3/4 rep, BW-30 - 5

HIT Exhaustion
Reverse Curl Cuban Press: 25 - 15, 35 - 10, 45 - 5, 50 - 5

Comments:
I kept the WO relatively short. I'll do a lot more on Wednesday when I try pulling my best Romanian yet.

Back