DBs for those with long limbs?

shwaym

I have read some random out-of-context posts by some poeple on other boards about trainees with long limbs and short torsos preferring/gaining more with dumbell moves as opposed to shorter limed athletes benefiting more using barbells.

having long limbs i would be interested in seeing if this is in fact true during my next cycle. my current one is composed mainly of bbs and some machines.

i remember back to the program i was doing before i would really prefer using dbs but WHY is that?
what is the biomechanical set-up that causes this?

what about machines? where would cable/plate loaded machines fit into all of this? some allow individual limb movement.

and perhaps more importantly if dbs moves were to be used over their bb counterparts, would this fit well enough into HST?
would the slight off-setting of weight increment variability be worth it for smoother/stronger lifts?
thanks,
-shwaym

schwaym

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I have read some random out-of-context posts by some people on other boards about trainees with long limbs and short torsos preferring/gaining more with dumbell moves as opposed to shorter limed athletes benefiting more using barbells.

Sounds like BS to me, let us see what others have to say, I know JV has a pretty good BS radar
laugh.gif
JV ?

From what I have come across, limb length can be adjusted into any exercise by the positioning, eg: squat, the longer the legs the further apart they should be or something like it. I am not about to debate it! :mad:

One thing HST uses both BB and DB exercises with great results, it does not have much to do with limb length but rather with personal choice and obviously result producing
laugh.gif

My two cents anyway :D

Actually I have to disagree. Of course I can only comment on one side of the equation
tounge.gif
, but having long limbs I've found that certain exercises are easier with DBs than with BB - namely any form of bench press.

Likewise squats are difficult (or more difficult) with heavy weights, it's just a matter of less advantageous leverage (physics).

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Jester @ Oct. 24 2005,4:35)]Actually I have to disagree. Of course I can only comment on one side of the equation
tounge.gif
, but having long limbs I've found that certain exercises are easier with DBs than with BB - namely any form of bench press.
Likewise squats are difficult (or more difficult) with heavy weights, it's just a matter of less advantageous leverage (physics).
well thats what they were saying...that dbs are esier for us than bbs.
the thing is that i could pretty much do any exercise with dbs instead of bbs.
like one time i did not have access to the part of the weight room that had all the squat racks so i used equivilent weight holding dumbells with straps and i think i liked it more than barbells.
Also, since before this cycle where i focused on dcline bb. i infinatly preferred decline db but i guess ive gotten used to the bb. yet when i get into the fives it would be nigh impossible to curl that weight up into the decline bench position so i have to use a bb.

Shwaym,
Do a search on the net for te Power Hooks, they're fantastic! I've been using them for a year now and it's amazing. They really worth the price. With those, you won't have to "curl" those heavy weights to bench press.
Give me some news!

so only gyms can buy the 2nd style of hooks?
i lift at a gym and i wouldnt be able to pound them on dbs everytime if i got the 1st style.

What do you mean by 1st and 2nd syle? Where I bought them, I had the choice between the ones with a "strap" to wrap around the dumbbell, and those with no strap. I bought the ones with a strap but, since I train with gloves, I don't need the straps anymore.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Jester @ Oct. 25 2005,9:37)]Shwaym: I meant I disagree that what you said is BS.
hahah ok, nevermind then :)

Atlas- without the straps how do the hooks stay on the dbs?

hmmmm....im not sure what ill do.....if i do decline Bench press then ill just use the barbell since i already carry too much stuff with me to the gym (instead of my books when going right after class....)

i think im going to spend my last couple days of this cycle just trying a few different exercises and seeing what i like.

ill probably be posting another thread about exercise selection before i start my next cycle [rolzeyes]
cya there

Shwaym, I think we're a little off topic talking about the Power Hooks here. But if you're interested, you can Email me and I'll take the time to explain to you how it works in detail. But I really think you should give it a try.

About the topic you started (sorry 'bout my bad english but I'll do my best to be clear), I truly believe in working out with dumbbells instead of barbell. I knew a guy who used to call the barbell the "Devil's tool". I think I agree.
First, if you look in the mirror, you'll see that it's impossible to grab a barbell and, at the same time, keep your hands in there most natural position. So, in many cases, I hate barbell because, like Hack Squats, it doesn't allow you to have a natural movement, respecting the natural joints movement of your body. In the case of Presses, these are your wrists.
Then, I think that, in a way, comparing DBs VS BB is like comparing freeweights VS machines. You can handle more weight with a barbell than with DBs because the BB works as a stabilizer. But with DBs, you have more stabalizing work to do and, at least in my case, you get a much more fuller development. When I started using DBs only for my Push movements, my forearms and all the targeted muscles started growing in a way I've never seen before. They really look "fuller", "deeper". I'm not an expert, but I truly believe in the "virtues" of dumbbells.
Thanks for reading me guys... I've been reading this site for 7 months now and.... I think you guys a great. Keep it up!

i rest the db on my knees and when i sit back throw my knees up to my chest then take the weight with my arms..but eventually i think i will have to invest in some hooks...for the original question i prefer db bench its improved my pecs over bb bench..but for squats bb are the best :D

Back