DC plus Myo-reps?

robefc

Hi everyone,

Have not posted in a looong time - hope you're all well and lifting heavy!

Recently I've been training DC style, using rest-pause sets plus extreme stretching, but I've remained intrigued by the concept of trying to use more efficient reps.

I remember trying to do something like this with max stim where I figured the first rep should be at 90-95% of 1rm and then progressively reduce weight so you're continually lifting at 90-95% of your lift capacity for that rep.

Clearly Myo-reps is another method of getting a higher amount of 'efficient' reps in but uses fatigue rather than load to achieve this via an activiation set.

For the last few sessions I've been playing about with combining an isolation movement after my rest-pause set using myo-reps but without the activiation set (as the rest pause set has taken care of that part).

So today for example I did 5x3 flies after a rest pause set of bench with 5 breaths in between each set. Then I proceeded to do my loaded stretch.

It seems to me a good way of getting the benefits of doing a rest pause set with the benefits of further 'efficient' reps

Using isolation movements means I'm not adding too much further volume with large weights and also gives say my shoulders more of a rest before I do my main compound lift for them (as I'm doing a push/pull split).

Just wondered what people thought of this idea?

Cheers

Rob

I'm not sure I'm understanding you completely, Rob, but Myo-Reps want you to train "near" failure on every set. I'm not a fan of doing that with low rep isolation sets like flyes. Also, if you are doing the Myo-Reps in addition to the normal DC RP sets you will need fantastic recovery ability or your blasts are gonna be extremely short. I'm old, but I know my body couldn't handle it. Just the RP sets with 3 failure points are pretty draining. It would be a very high stimulation workout if you can recovery from it though. Good luck!

Thanks for the response.

I might find, as I get further into my blast, I don't have the energy for it.

The few sessions I've tried it, it's been fine. I specifically use isolation movements because obviously the weight is a lot less so it's not so draining.

Lets face it, DB flies are never going to be that draining, especially if avoiding failure and stopping when the reps slow down.

In fact it means I have more rest between my 'main; exercises so gives me a bit more time to recover whilst giving me some extra volume on that specific bodypart.

Mmmm....is there really much of a difference between rest-pause done DC style versus Myo-Reps style? It sounds like you're adding volume-load more than anything. Periodization theory would have it that if your weekly volume-load is goes up too fast you will be setting yourself up for some unusual recovery behavior in the recent future. And your blast will be a little shorter for it.

Stripping the weight down to 90%ish every rep was written about in the 90's by Charles Poliquin. That's intense. It all depends on your recovery ability and your workload capacity; neither is easily quantified. I know if I tried that right now on deadlifts I would collapse into a heap on the floor while a squirrel works in a set of something stupid in front of the mirrors.
laugh.gif

<div>
(QuantumPositron @ Sep. 02 2009,5:34)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Mmmm....is there really much of a difference between rest-pause done DC style versus Myo-Reps style?  It sounds like you're adding volume-load more than anything.</div>
Well I guess the difference is that you are absolutely going for it with a rest pause set, pushing as much as you can and with myo reps you stay a couple of reps shy of failure much like you do with HST.

You're correct in that what I'm trying to do is add volume at a point when the muscle has already been primed after the rest pause (so the extra volume is more effective as described by Blade in his explanation of myo reps).

But using isolation movements means that it shouldn't be too draining as the emphasis should still be on having enough energy for the rest pause sets.

Back