Deadlift w/Belt

I HIGHLY suggest that if you decide to go beltless after using them, you begin a cycle without it to strengthen and retrain everything. It might not even be a bad idea to repeat a cycle, pound for pound, as these old weights will be "new" to the core musclulature.
Just tossing the belt midcycle is an invitation to ugly occurrences.

I wear one for my final set of low-rep deadlifts & squats. if my reps are 10+, I don't think it's necessary. I will add that I can sometimes be intimidated by heavy (to me) weights, so part of the benefit is also mental.

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Wouldn't the use of a belt defeat the purpose of training to become stronger?</div>

No...its use is solely for safety, as Lol puts it if you can lift 600 or so with a belt you do not have weak abs.

Also wearing a belt does not mean your abs stop working.

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">i used to wear a belt loose. now i wear my belt tight because of my previous lower back injury during powerlifting. </div>

Sorry to say but that is downright silly, lifting belts are definitely not for fashion's sake.
biggrin.gif

I don't wear a belt, mainly because I'm still fairly new at this, and my weights are very light (on an absolute scale).

Now, in every pic I've seen of Dave Tate squatting, he's wearing a belt. He is lifting very heavy weights (on an absolute scale). So, belts have their place, but not for me right now.

As for straps, I need them to dead lift anything over 250. My grip is just weak. But I think it's worth using them to gain the other benefits of heavy dead lifts.

I like to use a belt for deads once I get up past twice my bodyweight.

I like straps (Versa-Grips ) on my Power Shrugs so I can use an over-over grip.

Back