Deadlifting vs. Squat based cycle

supergaijin

Howdy all. Just finishing my SD now and about to start my second HST cycle. This time I plan to deadlift instead of squat but am wondering what I should do for more quad development.

My Squat-orientated routine started with squats, then benchpress, then partial SLDLs. I ended up dropping the SLDLs after my last round of 10s as my lower back was starting to get really fatigued during the day. The only way for me to squat in my gym is with the Smith Machine and that may be the reason why my back was getting tired. I have read that a squat/SLDL combination is fairly common here and was wondering whether there was a similar combo which includes the deadlift. There is a hacksquat- like machine at my gym, leg extension- the possibility of lunges etc.

Anyway- I'd appreciate any comments/advice/example routines from the lifters who deadlift as their primary mass building exercise. I have relatively good sized legs from years of cycling and rowingy so maybe I can afford to have just one thigh building exercise. I'd feel a little guilty not burning the legs as well though.

On a side note- i'd like to get more bulk on the inside of my thigh. Perhaps this is a case of needing to get big legs first, before worrying about details
blush.gif
, but if anyone has had success in building more bulk on the inner muscles of the thigh, I'd like to hear from them. Would Sumo deadlifts target the inner thigh more?

Cheers

Hi

I am also a fan gway lo or gaijin.
laugh.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]My Squat-orientated routine started with squats, then benchpress, then partial SLDLs. I ended up dropping the SLDLs after my last round of 10s as my lower back was starting to get really fatigued during the day.

Wrong thing to do is including both squat and SLDL in one workout, these must be alternated per workout, that should ease up your back a little, man...that way too taxying for your lower back, no wonder you are moaning
crazy.gif

Deadlift as a mass builder is the real one not the SLDL variety, but more the romanian kind of the full deadlift and heavy dude, real heavy
sad.gif

NOw for variety, I find that the deads mix well with leg curls, which are both for the hammmies, this then is a superset, you can do post or pre-exhaust, that will mean, do the isolation before the compound (pre) and if done after (post), both varieties work well, it is a matter of choice
happy.gif

For the squat either the lunge or the extensions both would work. Sumo deadlifts would hit the inner thigh more, they are tough as hell though
laugh.gif

Hope this helps.

Ciao

"On a side note- i'd like to get more bulk on the inside of my thigh. Perhaps this is a case of needing to get big legs first, before worrying about details , but if anyone has had success in building more bulk on the inner muscles of the thigh, I'd like to hear from them."

Ride horses!
thumbs-up.gif

I used to do sumo squats with a heavy dumbbell. The lower back is virtually eliminated from this exercise, and it directly hits the inner thighs. Sounds perfect for your needs.

I appreciate the replies.

I'm gonna continue with my full deadlift for this cycle and then switch to sumo-style deadlifts on the next cycle.

During this cycle I'm doing some running as well- getting ready for footy season. Scary how fast I've lost cardio fitness. I'm going to keep the basic prinicipals of increasing weight the same, but reduce the frequency of workouts to 2- maybe 3 times a week and run a couple of times a week.

Although this isn't strictly HST, I believe it'll still be beneficial- doubt I'll see a big increase in size but overall strength should increase. Well, the proof will be in the pudding. If I complete my projected weights with good form, it can only mean one thing.

Cheers for the tips everyone.

Back