Deadlifts and Squats

robefc

Hi everyone,

I've just got back from holiday and a 2 week sd and am now raring to go and hit my new cycle...which I thought I had perfectly planned until I started turning over the idea of adding squats and deadlifts to my routine.

I know it might be a surprise that they're not in there already but the reason is basically I'm not too bothered about my legs, plus the quads at least get a bit of a workout when doing hiit on the crosstrainer with high resistance for the sprinting intervals. Plus my arse is more than big enough as it is!

However, I'm concerned that I might be missing out on overall strength, growth and other benefits by missing out on these exercises. The squat must be good for core strength and the deadlift I'm thinking of back and arm growth.

Is it worth throwing these into the mix if I'm not worried about leg growth or will sticking with the upper body be a more efficient use of time for my goals (i.e. upper body growth/strength).

Opinions please!

Cheers
Rob

[b said:
Quote[/b] (robefc @ June 08 2005,9:33)]I'm not too bothered about my legs, plus the quads at least get a bit of a workout when doing hiit on the crosstrainer with high resistance for the sprinting intervals. Plus my arse is more than big enough as it is!
However, I'm concerned that I might be missing out on overall strength, growth and other benefits by missing out on these exercises. The squat must be good for core strength and the deadlift I'm thinking of back and arm growth.
Is it worth throwing these into the mix if I'm not worried about leg growth or will sticking with the upper body be a more efficient use of time for my goals (i.e. upper body growth/strength).
Opinions please!

Cheers
Rob
Sprints are excellent, but squats (all the way down) make your whole body grow... Quads, glutes, hip flexors, abs, erectors, low back, even your hams are affected.

I have large (but nice and rounded) glutes from years of heavy squats. I recently started putting a 5-10 plate underneath my heels. This has greatly minimized the involvement of my glutes.

Deadlifts mainly hit the quads, glutes, erectors, mid-low back and traps.

Your concerns are quite correct... Trainers who don't squat or deadlift are missing out on some serious growth.

I'll 2nd Mr. Anabolic. Although I shared my concens about growing bigger/unproportional glutes, using SLDL and squats have really increased the size and strength of my legs. And like Mr. Anabolic, I've started using 25 lbs plates to raise my heels. Supposedly it minimized the glute usage, but we'll see how that goes. So, yes, I would would recommend squats as long as you raise the heels as needed...

Back