Deadlifts, Bent Over Rows and Drop Sets

TrapsOfSteal

Hi,

I am in my first cutting cycle ever and am starting to worry about my form. For both deadlifting and bent over rows, people at this new gym I am at seem to rest or at least partially rest the barbell onto the floor after each rep. I tend to make it a continuous sequence. Who is at fault here?

Also, for deadlifting, how widely do you tend to put your two feet and hold the bar? Would the sumo deadlift be a better alternative than the coventional deadlift?

http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/ErectorSpinae/BBDeadlift.html

For the bent over row, I noticed that, over time, I have started doing this in a much more upright manner. How horizontal whould one have his back?

Like this?

http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/BackGeneral/BBBentOverRow.html

Or like that?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ss5SuopztW4

As for intensity techniques during this cut, should I try to do drop sets on one of my four exercises each time? What is the general procedure for drop sets?

Thanks,

Traps

The optimal position is dependent on your individual biomechanics.  I'll use myself as an example.  I'm 6 foot 4.  I cannot do the bentover row with a completely horizontal back.  I've tried. It doesn't work.  To maintain my balance I must keep my feet at shoulders width. If I bend over to the horizontal I end up having to keep my torso at a 20 degree angle or so to maintain my balance.  When I do the row I make sure to keep my lower back out of the lift.  What you see in the exrx.net video is a guy using his lower back to jerk the weight up.  Ronnie Coleman does it this way.  Dorian Yates does not.  I am in the Yates camp - strict form, tight movement, focusing on the muscles I want worked.  Like a powerlifter getting his groove in the bench I pay careful attention to the pathway of the bar and movement of my body in space.

As for the deadlift there are many variations in stance as you pointed out.  You can deadlift with heels together for quads, sumo style for hip extensors, or the conventional with the feet at around shoulder width.  The question of which style - sumo, conventional, snatch grip - is a question of what your goal is with that lift.  If you are new to deadlifts then consider using the conventional for a while.  Read several articles on form (at least 3) so you know what is important.  Then practice with a broomstick and finally do some extra work in the gym.  When you are thoroughly comfortable and your form is spotless you can move to the snatch grip off a platform for mass. Not until then.

some prefer to touch the weight down slightly or completly which is correct(thats why its called the deadlift) but i do the same as you just touch and back up again.
i find it helps with back problems to keep the weight going rather than reset stabalisers etc every time.
as far as b-o-r just do it in a way thats comfortable,as long as your not stood perfrectly upright i doubt it really matters.

BTW if your on a cut just do your normal routine drop the isos,your not going to gain any muscle so no point in adding in extra work IMO.

I solved the deadlift problem (and it's inherent programming headaches -frequencyvs.lower back recovery) by splitting into a RDL/DL alternating scheme rdl by definition keeps constant tension , "classic" deads are de-loaded each rep and are done as a power movement - ie. heavy singles .

Some bodybuilders go down about 2/3 of the way to keep it a back exercise with constant tension (see Dorian Yates blood and guts- it's free on you tube)- as the bottom third is mostly legs.

Really this would be dictated by the rest of your routine and what you are trying to accomplish with the dead's,full body or split arrangement, and how you have approached covering legs and back with other movements.

Chest supported rows will keep you honest in rowing and yield TRUE measurable progression.

Just some more ideas that you may find interesting or helpful...
smile.gif

Thanks for all the replies. This is a cut and I want to experience the heaviest loads possible  at the end of the cycle to maintain muscle mass. Should I go about resting the bar after each rep to allow for higher loads? When resting the bar, should I rest it completely or just barely touch the ground or does it not matter? I thought that decrontracting muscles between reps, like when people rest the bar on their chests during the bench press, could lead to injury.

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I thought that decrontracting muscles between reps, like when people rest the bar on their chests during the bench press, could lead to injury.</div>

I am of the opinion that slowly lowering the bar during a deadlift is more likely to lead to injury. You have to control the weight, in good form, as it descends to the floor. Following Pavel T's advice I don't bother with the eccentric portion. I simply direct the bar as it falls, but I don't slow it down. I don't see the resetting of proper stance to be a problem as some other posters have noted. I do deadlifts in rest-pause fashion so the seconds it takes to get back into position are not a problem.

Thanks a lot guys. I tried deadlifting today with putting the bar down between reps and it feels much more natural. I also think that it will allow me to experience higher loads in the 5s. As for weight loss, I weighed in at the exact same weight today as one week ago. I am quite shocked as I am on a 500 calorie deficit.

I am thinking of adding tabata three times a week. I tend to be pretty tired after a workout. Should I do it on off days then? Anyone tried it with sprinting?

Back