determining my true body fat %

All current methods are calibrated on underwater weighing, so they cant stop it being the gold standard method :) Inspite of its problems.

Calipers are used commonly on athletes, and quite a lot the actual BF calcualations are never done, they are used to track changes over time in the actual measurements rather htan that final calculation. The actual BF accuracy in an individual with skinfolds is pathetic.

However, I have a paper on some canadian athletes who were measured to a negative bodyfat measure.

So I got the slimguide calipers and I measured my abs right beside my belly button and I got a reading of 10 mm.

So addy, is this the right place to be measuring when you said measure your abs? According to your advice, I should bulk but I'm not happy about the fat around my love handles. Anyone have any advice?

did you follow the instructions that came with your calipers? if so, at 10mm, you could safely bulk, but if you're not happy with the way you look right now, definitely do a little cutting. if you're maintaining 10mm easily, you could reach 7 or even 6mm in maybe 6-8 weeks.

I followed the instructions in the booklet. It said to measure just above the suprailiac and a bit to the front. I tried a few measurements at slightly different positions (still in accordance with the instructions) and got anywhere between 6 and 10 mm. With that much difference between measurements, I'm not sure if I'll be able to notice real changes. How do I stay consistent?

hm... stay consistent.
crazy.gif

meaning, try to measure always at the same spot. if you're always measuring the same way at the same spot, at the same time of day (preferrably in the morning before breakfast), at the same day of the week, you will eliminate a lot of variables, and get a better idea of your progress.

spikehead,

I took a permanant marker and put a small dot on my side, so i would measure in the same spot everytime. It does help a little.

Why do u care what percentage your body fat is? I'm sure you have a mirror in your house and you can tell if you want 2 bulk up or cut?

Back