Diet while working full-time

Curt

Starting next week I will be working full time. I'm sure a lot of you guys work full-time - How do you find the time to get enough meals in? I have a 45 minute lunch break but besides that I won't have any time to eat. Will I just have to eat whenever I get the chance, and eat larger meals? Are meal replacement bars worth the price?

Also, what kind of food can I prepare ahead of time in a packaged lunch? Are sandwhich meats any good? I remember reading processed meat is no good.

Do you have access to a microwave during your lunch break? I make various types of pasta dishes to eat on my lunch break. You can add in the right things for whatever your goals are, bulking or cutting, and just heat it up and eat it at work.

I do a bunch of batch cooking a day or two a week--things like chicken- or pork-based stir fries and soups or stews. A big pot of chile goes a long way and actually improves with age. Thus I always have a tasty, quality source of protein available. I also carry containers of cottage cheese and fruit to work. On workout days, I bring my protein shake and stick it in the fridge.

Your ability to eat at work depends on the kind of job you have and the availability of a fridge and/or a microwave. If you don't work in a place that has a kitchen, you can keep your food in a portable cooler, or stick hot items in a thermos. Whatever the situation there's a solution.

First job out of school? You have just taken your first step into a larger world (of eating).
tounge.gif

The issue with a lot of lunch meat is the sodium content. Doesn't matter to me as I don't get much sodium in my other meals. I go for turkey every time though, and not the super-processed stuff. Sliced deli turkey is good. Watch the bread carefully and go for WHOLE wheat bread. Alot of commercial bakeries like to take white bread dough and color it brown, then label it "wheat bread". Read the label. Steer clear of any hydrogenated or partially hydrogenated oils and high-fructose corn syrup. These are diet busters.

As gripstrength suggested, stir-fry and chili make excellent lunches (and easy on the pocket-book).

The in-between-meals-meals depend on your job. If you're strapped for time, a handful of almonds and raisens will do. Protein/carb bars work and take all of one minute to wuff down. I like Luna bars and Builder's bars myself. I avoid anything with maltilol in it though - a wonderful osmotic laxative. The in-between-meals don't have to be big, but they're unquestionably better than going without. If people frown, tell them you get hypoglycemic and have to eat something.

Personally, I like non-fat, low sugar vanilla yogurt with 1/2 cup of blueberries. I buy frozen blueberries which thaw on the way to work (way cheaper than fresh). Another thing I sometimes do before work if I have time is toss the yogurt and berries in a blender with a cup of skim milk, cooked oatmeal, ground flax, whey protein and some crushed ice. Pour that into two little drink containers and there's my morning and afternoon snacks. Tupperware and insulated lunch bags are your friends.

RB

There is really no evidence that eating more often throughout the day provides any benefit over the standard 3 meals a day. The important thing is that you are getting the sufficient amount of calories. So, if you only have time for 3 or 4 meals in a day, that's fine you don't need to worry about scheduling your day around eating.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (baby a @ May 09 2005,6:32)]There is really no evidence that eating more often throughout the day provides any benefit over the standard 3 meals a day.  The important thing is that you are getting the sufficient amount of calories.  So, if you only have time for 3 or 4 meals in a day, that's fine you don't need to worry about scheduling your day around eating.
Interesting.  I was always under the impression that breaking up your meals throughout the day (presuming the caloric level is the same) keeps the body`s meatabolic rate higher throughout the day as well as providing a better or more constant and balanced stream of nutrients to the body.  

However, after reading this thread:
http://www.hypertrophy-specific.com/cgi-bin....l=meals
it appears that your right baby a.

Back