difference between benching 5ft & 7ft bar

I

imported_dans4173

does anyone have experiences with benching a 5ft bar and a 7ft bar?

i only have access to max out on a 5 ft. and i am wondering what that max might be on a 7 ft

A pound is a pound is a pound is a pound.
A kilo is a kilo is a good time you can't remember.
wow.gif

I'm guessing 5 foot bars weigh less. Are they like 25 lbs or something? Anyway, your max should be the same with each bar... make sure you are including the weight of the bar. Length of the bar shouldn't effect your max as long as you are spacing your hands evenly, not like, off center or anything.

i know a pound is a pound, however, for whatever reason you can bench more on a longer bar.

the same way im sure you couldnt bench a block of lead as easily as a barbell and the same way snowshoes keep your feet from pushing through the snow. or the same way if you maxed out on a 20 ft bar.
smile.gif

didnt mean to turn this into a physics discussion but if anyone has a a short bar and a long bar it would really help me if you could test your max on the short and long bar respectively and let me know. i would be forever thankful

If there's a difference, it can only be two things:
a.) synergistic musculature assisting the balance of the longer bar
and
b.) the 'spring' effect of the longer bar as in the difference between a powerlifting bar and an olympic bar. But I think you'd have to first have enough weight on it to make it flex for that to take effect.

We love physics for breakfast around here!

I have both lengths, 1rm is the same , the longer bar requires strict and even form as wobbling or any uneveness in arms is exagerated as the load is farther from the fulcrum. The 7' bar requires more balance - your 1rm will not be more on a longer bar , and may actually feel harder depending on how evenly you lift in your form.

thank you Russ. like i previously said, i am very thankful for your efforts!

Back