Dirty Bulking

TennisDude

Well, it seems I had lost all self-control. After successfully cutting for awhile, I decided to go on a bulk, which was my downfall. I haven't been able to consistently eat healthy for a few months now, and I have gained a lot of weight, most of the weight I cut away plus any muscle I gained.

My original plan was to finish this cycle, and do another one, than I would cut again. This bulk was just so that I would have enough muscle in order to look better while being lean. Do I continue the bulk if I can make sure I eat clean, OR do I stop and start cutting away the fat?

My goal is to be in a fairly low body fat percentage, with enough muscle mass, when I go on vacation at the end of March 2006.

Does anyone have any ideas/suggestions for me? I'd really appreciate any help.

Thanks again,
TennisDude

I'm confused. I didn't know questions related to cutting/bulking belong in this forum. I thought this was about a particular diet or foods. Sorry.

First, take a deep breath. Then, decide what your fitness goals are. As for myself, I dont understand the need for a "cutting diet" unless you are preparing for a show. Otherwise, if you want to gain weight, you gotta eat enough calories consisting of the right kinds of food. I take in 3600 calories/day and do absolutely no cardio and my BF never goes over 10%. I eat an extremely clean diet, though.

Remember, it's not an all-or-nothing equation. You can still eat enough calories to add lean muscle mass and still have a respectible BF%. Now if you want to get down to 8% or lower BF, that will take some extra work, but probably to the detriment of gaining mass.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (chiefhog @ July 12 2005,2:24)]First, take a deep breath. Then, decide what your fitness goals are. As for myself, I dont understand the need for a "cutting diet" unless you are preparing for a show. Otherwise, if you want to gain weight, you gotta eat enough calories consisting of the right kinds of food. I take in 3600 calories/day and do absolutely no cardio and my BF never goes over 10%. I eat an extremely clean diet, though.
Remember, it's not an all-or-nothing equation. You can still eat enough calories to add lean muscle mass and still have a respectible BF%. Now if you want to get down to 8% or lower BF, that will take some extra work, but probably to the detriment of gaining mass.
It might be better to do what you have done. Cut down, and then bulk from there, but don't let what happened this time happen again.

I like that philosophy, and I think I have gained too much weight to continue bulking, as I don't like what I see in the mirror.

My goals all center around Spring Break 2006.
tounge.gif

eating clean really has nothing to do with it. If you eat too many calories you'll put on fat, regardless of how "clean" they are. The difference is that most "clean" food is more difficult to overeat (oats, veggies, etc).

BoSox, you made the point I failed to make. I didnt intend to assert that you cant get fat on "clean" foods. I know weight gain ultimately depends on caloric intake vs. caloric expenditure. Reading my post again, I realize I could have stated it better.
thumbs-up.gif

It's true that caloric intake decides if you gain weight or not, but there are other factors to consider. One should make sure they're eating "cleaner" foods, to give them more nurition. Fiber, vitamins and minerals come to mind.

Spring Break 2006 is a long way away. You have plenty of time. If you are gaining too much fat during a bulk, either cut back on calories or work out more. For instance, doing fullbody HST 5-6 times a week (if you can handle it) will probably prevent you from gaining very much weight during a bulk. Adding in some cardio could help too.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (chiefhog @ July 12 2005,11:46)]BoSox, you made the point I failed to make. I didnt intend to assert that you cant get fat on "clean" foods. I know weight gain ultimately depends on caloric intake vs. caloric expenditure. Reading my post again, I realize I could have stated it better.  
thumbs-up.gif
Oh I definately wasn't correcting you or anything. I was just putting that out there for the author of the thread.

if you manage to stay under 15% bodyfat, you can continue bulking till december/january, and then you start cutting again. you'll be able to reach 10% or less by march without having to resort to extreme calorie deficit. look into a lowcarb diet if you want to make sure you're losing as little muscle as possible, and if you're detail oriented enough.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (addy @ July 14 2005,8:46)]if you manage to stay under 15% bodyfat, you can continue bulking till december/january, and then you start cutting again. you'll be able to reach 10% or less by march without having to resort to extreme calorie deficit. look into a lowcarb diet if you want to make sure you're losing as little muscle as possible, and if you're detail oriented enough.
So, first I have to get to 15%, which would be hard.

I am probably a good deal percentage over that. I want to say 30% maybe a bit higher, but I don't really know, just a terrible guess based on no knowledge whatsoever.
laugh.gif

Back