Drop Sets VS err, umm, Anti-Drop Sets

Brak

Ok, we know what drop sets are. And maybe there is a name for this other thing, but I don't know it, so I just described it as anti-drop sets. I'm talking about the opposite of drop sets, i.e. the second set is heavier than the first and the third set is heavier than the second, etc.

I was wondering if anyone has thoughts on whether or not the anti-drop sets are any good for you or not. Are they better than drop sets or worse. For a moment I thought of the adaptive growth response of increasing load over a period of time and thought the anti-drop sets do this on a tiny scale...per workout so to speak. Thoughts?

Brak

Aww Man! Really? Nobody has an opinion on drop sets?

Has no-one heard of these rising set things, no-one has an opinion on them?

C'mon now, I don't want to have to go to another board...I respect the opinions of the community on this board way to much to post anywhere else. Please give me your opinions.

Brak

I'm no expert, but I don't believe they (anti drop sets as you call them) will do anything for you in respect to HST. Basically increasing the weight like you are describing is like starting with your warm up set and then increasing it to your workout weight. If you do 50lbs for one set and then do 70lbs for the next set you are now moving up the load, so technically your next workout day should start at 70lbs, not 50lbs, and then move up to 90lbs on the next set otherwise you aren't progressively loading. This isn't to say that you couldn't start with 50lbs again, but only that you would need to go above 70lbs by the end of the workout. Technically you could do a workout that was set 1: 50lbs set 2: 70lbs set 3: 90lbs, as long as your next workout session was something like set 1: 55lbs set:2 75lbs set 3: 95lbs, but you don't really need to do it like this unless you are warming up. I believe you will get a better result with just doing all sets at 95lbs.

Drop sets are done so that your muscles get flushed with lactic acid to help release erk 1/2 (which is needed for growth). When you do heavy weights with short reps you don't get the burn you need to produce it. This is the reason to do a drop set.

I hope this helped.

Good job, Sun Tzu
thumbs-up.gif

And Brak, with your rising load per workout (the "anti-dropset"), you'll just be helping RBE. Your muscles will naturally try to adapt to the highest load it experiences, so your next workout may not be as effective had you not increased the load on the last couple of sets for that exercise.

Now, it's a different matter if you did that for the last workout of your cycle. In that case, you would have just continued the progression of load probably because you gained enough strength to accomodate a heavier load. Although that would be ok, a better way would be to just extend the cycle and continue the progression per workout until you hit your new ceiling.

Hope that helps. :)
-JV

Back