"Eating fat makes you fat"

Status
Not open for further replies.
<div>
(drpierredebs @ May 27 2008,3:49)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Dan,

The messenger in this case is a troll, trolling FALSE information. This troll is ASSAULTING the truth and facts.
He has a a history on other boards of the same idiotic behavior.
And calling somebody what they are is hardly abusive-pudgy golfer

He is doing  the same on developing threads: Makes a False statement, doesn´t back it up. then when directly challenged changes everything around.</div>
I understand but that is why we have an ignore button.

For those who don't know how or were unaware, there is an ignore button in every post made. Simply click it .

I was just about to make the same reminder, as I've been following this thread every day (It is a source of good entertainment
biggrin.gif
). I am, however, conflicted. Letting them (the supposed troll/s) be is probably &quot;good&quot;, but ignoring the false statements will also mean letting the noise:signal ratio increase (that is, more noise, making the board less useful)

However, I am not omniscient. So I am hardly the person to &quot;judge&quot; and pronounce which knowledge is correct, no matter how ridiculous I may find something to be. (But Dan should be omniscient enough for that
wink.gif
)

&quot;Pudgy golfer&quot; might be fine, but &quot;turd&quot; certainly isn't. Actually, if we can also refrain from &quot;pudgy golfer&quot;, that may be better.

As for the ignore button, once you hit that, ALL POSTS of that user in ALL THREADS will only be empty space for you. If you find that someone is saying &quot;encrypted stupidity&quot; then by all means, stop torturing yourselves and go hit the ignore button. Of course, that won't help newbies coming here, if you are worried about them getting misled. (Although, the recent weeks, we've only been averaging 4-6 newbies every day... particularly slow)

Strange how the comments of &quot;abusive language &quot; come up now, but when Martin had his freak out the other month and was consistently using words somewhat harsher than pudgy golfer or turd, there did not appear to be much of anything happening.

Probably because the rest of us did the mature thing and simply ignored him. Unfortunately, while he can dish it out, he can't seem to take it, or so it would seem.

Anyway, I agree that we should try to remember to attack the argument and not the person making the argument... Personally, I did have Martin on ignore because I didn't feel he had anything worthwhile to say, but I took him back off ignore a couple weeks ago so I could continue to watch this thread - as jv said, it's great entertainment.
I do sometimes worry that people who don't know any better might actually listen to something he says, but I think his arguments are weak enough that the only ones who will listen are the very gullible or those who have tried everything else and want to try something new just for fun.

At the end of the day, if Martin really is after a greater understanding of nutrition he will take on board all the comments and replies made here (and elsewhere) and reflect on what has been said. Sadly, he does come across as someone who thinks rather highly of his own opinions and who has 'it' all figured out.

We all formulate opinions based on accumulated knowledge; often our knowledge is incomplete and we need to alter our opinions and ideas as we take on board new information. I, for one, have learnt a great deal from this thread; if I had 'ignored' Martin's posts I definitely wouldn't have learnt as much. It sometimes helps to have someone play Devil's advocate as it encourages well thought out counter arguments. Thanks to all who have participated thus far; it's been a fun ride.
smile.gif

Oh, much better to keep it all civil IMO - which I think has been the case for most of the time.
cool.gif

<div>
(Aaron_F @ May 27 2008,8:23)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Strange how the comments of &quot;abusive language &quot; come up now, but when Martin had his freak out the other month and was consistently using words somewhat harsher than pudgy golfer or turd, there did not appear to be much of anything happening.</div>
I must have missed that, I really only watch this thread, entertainment value and all that. Can you point me to that? It must be entertaining as well.

Anyway, if someone is suspected of trolling, then also used harsh language... what stopped any of you from banning him? Why didn't you just go ahead and do it?

<div>
(jvroig @ May 27 2008,7:56)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">As for the ignore button, once you hit that, ALL POSTS of that user in ALL THREADS will only be empty space for you.</div>
Indeed, the ignore button works remarkably well. Since I've been ignoring Martin I find there is much less flak on this site.

<div>
(scientific muscle @ May 28 2008,1:03)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE"><div>
(Aaron_F @ May 28 2008,12:30)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">its out there somewhere</div>
The thread where Martin should have been banned, but I guess nobody 'reported' him.  Dan stepped in to referee.  Its a laugh-out-loud thread.
laugh.gif
</div>
Just read through this thread.

Pudgy golfer needs to be banned and not simply ignored.

If you read his threads at body builder forum IT IS THE SAME NONSENSE.

Despite his proclamations that we have no life and are obsessed with him, he is rather adroit at self-diagnosis.

Ban now!!!!!!!!

<div>
(scientific muscle @ May 28 2008,1:03)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE"><div>
(Aaron_F @ May 28 2008,12:30)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">its out there somewhere</div>
The thread where Martin should have been banned, but I guess nobody 'reported' him.  Dan stepped in to referee.  Its a laugh-out-loud thread.
laugh.gif
</div>
Just read through this thread.

Pudgy golfer needs to be banned and not simply ignored.

or at least force him to accept the forum name -Pudgy Golfer.

If you read his threads at body builder forum IT IS THE SAME NONSENSE.

Despite his proclamations that we have no life and are obsessed with him, he is rather adroit at self-diagnosis.

Ban now!!!!!!!!

I saw the thread. Somebody seemed to have cleaned out all the offensive posts.

Did a mod do that? Or Martin?

<div>
(jvroig @ May 28 2008,3:02)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I saw the thread. Somebody seemed to have cleaned out all the offensive posts.

Did a mod do that? Or Martin?</div>
I'm wondering the same thing too. Can I remove my own posts like that? Or remove posts from other members? Wouldn't it show the empty post instead or have the mention &quot;post deleted&quot; or something like that?

<div>
(Lol @ May 27 2008,9:40)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">At the end of the day, if Martin really is after a greater understanding of nutrition he will take on board all the comments and replies made here (and elsewhere) and reflect on what has been said. Sadly, he does come across as someone who thinks rather highly of his own opinions and who has 'it' all figured out.

We all formulate opinions based on accumulated knowledge; often our knowledge is incomplete and we need to alter our opinions and ideas as we take on board new information. I, for one, have learnt a great deal from this thread; if I had 'ignored' Martin's posts I definitely wouldn't have learnt as much. It sometimes helps to have someone play Devil's advocate as it encourages well thought out counter arguments. Thanks to all who have participated thus far; it's been a fun ride.
smile.gif

Oh, much better to keep it all civil IMO - which I think has been the case for most of the time.
cool.gif
</div>
I agree almost completely. Instead of &quot;Martin&quot;, use &quot;anybody&quot;. It makes it so much more true and just and all that is reasonable. If you only say &quot;Martin&quot; that would imply that scientificmuscle, just as an example, has been reasonable by comparison and has indeed learned something, anything. Yet we see his current posts still reflecting his old ideas (calories in calories out) and he's still as rude as he was. I'm not talking about him, I'm just making the point that I'm not the only person who is under any obligation to learn anything from the discussion.

Has anybody read Letter on Corpulence by William Banting? It's an enlightening read in my view. Especially when we note the date it was published. When is the first time the PCB hypothesis (calories in calories out) was thrown around? Was it before the Banting letter or after? And did the PCB hypothesis meet with full acceptance right away or was it harshly rejected and consistently refuted by the evidence at the time? And what was the factor, the turning point that made it so popular today?

When did we start going to the gym in great numbers? Were we growing fat before that period? When did we start eating low fat high carb? Did we grow fat before that? When did we first use the nutritional guidelines and what impact has it had on all the people that are fed according to these guidelines? Were we fat before that?

Did we adopt the gym, adopt low fat high carb and adopt the national dietary guidelines because we were growing fat? Or did we grow fat because we adopted the gym, adopted low fat high carb and adopted the national dietary guidelines?

Don't mind me. I'm just some guy on the internet.

<div>
(jvroig @ May 28 2008,3:02)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I saw the thread. Somebody seemed to have cleaned out all the offensive posts.

Did a mod do that? Or Martin?</div>
It was &quot;cleaned&quot;.

I think post #435 above is a good example of what irritates me about this guy. It's the incessant irrelevant rabbit trails he takes in avoidance of issues that wastes my time. Or perhaps the writing style in the way he does it; I don't care either way, but he's the ONLY one around doing this. Then when cornered will attack the characters of the posters in disagreement (pretty much everyone) rather than stay with the discussion and answer questions. Pretty weak IMO.
After a while it's more time wasted than entertainment; I guess I just grew tired of it. I don't know if one should be banned for this part as it's no &quot;crime&quot;, but creating this huge and evidently misleading structure in the face of overwhelming contradictory evidence? One must hope that any new members reading into it have enough time to read the entire thread, and I doubt that will always happen.
I'll add the irony of the discovery that all this 'advice' has been coming from someone who considers golfing a workout. I would venture to believe that virtually all members here may take some offense to that. At least DrPierre lifts weights and pushes limits; I'll take advice there. The only limit this guy seems to know of pushing is credibility.

Here are this boards definitions of flaming and trolling
<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Flaming will be defined as personal insults. This needs no further explanation. Just don’t do it.

Trolling will be defined as writing in a “style” or “attitude” deliberately intended to aggravate, irritate, inflame, provoke, patronize, disrespect, stir up contention, or otherwise “get the goat” of people on the board. </div>
As long as the discussions are relevant, whether truthful or not, it should be allowed and this is the reason I have not publicly warned anyone in particular and simply reminded everyone to keep it civil.

We all have the right to our own opinions. It is up to everyone to then take what is written on this or any other media and decide for themselves whether or not it's useful.

Enough said and as long as it stays in control there will be no banning or warnings issued by me at least.

Closed - this thread is going nowhere. I believe the OP already got more than he bargained for.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back