Eating to GAIN

OneMoreRep

Hey guys.

Alot of people i hear saying if u wanna get big EAT EAT EAT EAT!!!

i am not sure what is meant by this...

see i am not a big guy i know this... i'm about 180 at 5'8.

i can eat about 3000 cals at a comfortable eating level meaning i am not FORCING myself.

on my first HST training cycle i gained about 4-5 lbs...

i am wondering if i can gain more by eating MORE...

when people say eat alot... does this mean u should constantly have a full stomach even when u arent hungry? always be eating?

my mindset has always been if u arent hungry then u don't have to eat... more training if it makes u more hungry then so be it....

i am a strong beleiver in listening to ur body it should KNOW if u need more food... and if u just stuff ur face even if u arnt hungry won't u just get fat? but does the body NOT want to gain muscle even when training stimulus is employed?

do u have to somewhat FORCE urself to eat? ( b4 weights i was always skinny so gaining weight could be a bit of a chore, guess i have a small stomach and fast metabolism or soemthing like that )

IF any one knows what i am talking about, PLEASE help me out i am a bit confused.

get back to me,

OneMoreRep

I'm on my first bulking diet ever. I've allways just stuck with lean gaining, as you seem to be doing.

I was going to say wait for about 2 months and i'll tell you how it goes, but i'm doing very good right now and i've realized it can be diet, or HST. So i can't tell which is doing which.

OneMoreRep

How active are you, meaning activities beside your weight training?

Ok, I've read, been told, and experienced growth at 12-15 cals per lb, and after a while it will plateau, so you'll need to move up to 18 cals /lb and that should do the trick. I'm in a cutting phase but lately I've stuck around 12 / lb. It really all depends on how much you've been eating lately. But I would say at the most would be 18-19 cals /lb max.

OneMoreRep: Bulking is a bit of a balancing act, the idea of course being to gain the most amount of muscle and least amount of fat. (Insert Powerlifter joke here). The more food you eat, the more muscle you will gain, this is a fact. Overeating in itself without even training will grow muscle.

It's important to know that the body does not shut off muscle building at a certain level, say 3000 calories, and decide that every calorie after that will go to build fat stores. It's just that as you eat more, a progressively lower % of these calories will go towards muscle growth.

Also realize that relying on appetite and 'fullness' to tell you how much to eat for muscle growth is not always a good idea. Muscle growth beyond a certain point is seen as non-essential by the body, and will only happen with adequate calories. The body (in actuality, the brain) tends to resist change, whether you're small and want to gain weight, or fat and want to lose weight. The best advice I can give is that if you want to weight 200lbs, you're gonna have to eat like a 200 pounder.

Some people will have to force themselves to be able to gain consistantly, others, like me, have to force themselves not to eat more because we tend to overeat by habit (yes, especially while bulking - dramatically so).

If you're making good progress like you seem to be doing, then obviously keep it up. Just beware that there will *probably come a time when you will have to eat more than you are comfortable eating to continue to make progress.

Also remember its not always how much you eat, its how many calories, keeping a good meticulous count of these using Fitday will help you. Eating a hamburger at Jack in the Box vs eating a home made hamburger at home can be a difference of about 400 calories or more seeing how jack in the box manages to stuff it with god knows what. So if you want to eat less often, eat higher calorie foods.

i have gotten into a habit of counting calories...

i plan on eating 2 lbs of lean ground beef a day,
a few protein shakes,
regular meals,
snacks etc... i figure it should be atleast 4000 cals a day depending on how much cals a pound of beef has my guess is about 1000+ cals.

lot of ppl say i look like im getting bigger although the scale says i gained about 4-5 lbs... ( everyone at works thinks i'm juicing ) :mad:

oh well... i wanna gain more reallly mess em up
laugh.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]depending on how much cals a pound of beef has my guess is about 1000+ cals.

A lb of 4% lean beef has ~600cals. You may be using a higher fat% though.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]lot of ppl say i look like im getting bigger although the scale says i gained about 4-5 lbs... ( everyone at works thinks i'm juicing )

possibly you've lost fat and gained muscle. The absence of bodyfat really brings out definition, and many people confuse this with being 'more muscular'. Whatever the reason for people to notice, though, take it as a compliment.

Back