electric's log

HST Cycle #4. Day 9 (4th day of the 10s). BW @ 73.6Kg (162.3lbs) - I underate yesterday.
Today's routine:

Flat BB Bench - 3x10 @ 71Kg (157lbs) - spotter helped on the last rep of the 3rd set
V-Squat - 3x10 @ 120Kg (265lbs)
Pendlay's Rows - 3x10 @ 71Kg (157lbs)
Weighted Machine Crunch - 3x10 @ 75Kg (165lbs)
Skipped Upright Rows

I am not sure if I'd be able to get the last rep of the 3rd set of bench since the spotter helped me when I slowed down. I've reduced the planned weights for bench since I clearly overestimated them.
I'm aiming to get to 75Kg (165.4lbs) by the end of this HST cycle by increasing around 250g (half a pound) per week as recommended by Lyle. I might need to stretch the cycle a week or two for that. Then I'll take a week off and start on UD2.0 until I'm back to 10% BF or can't take it any more, whichever comes first. I'll probably start a 5x5 after that focusing on strength gains. Oh the anxiety...

HST Cycle #4. Day 10 (5th day of the 10s). BW @ 74.2Kg (163.6lbs).
Today's routine:

Deadlift - 8, 2, 6, 2, 8 (ms) @ 117Kg (258lbs)
Dips - 3x10 @ BW+8Kg (18lbs) - total of ~82Kg (181lbs)
Chinups - 3x10 @ BW+8Kg (18lbs) - total of ~82Kg (181lbs)
Machined Weighted Crunch 3x10 @ 80Kg (176lbs)
Skipped OHPs

I wanted to get at least one set of 10 on the deadlift but my grip failed (even using mixed grip). From there things got pretty ugly but I tried to get as many reps in as I could. When my grip starts failing I also have a hard time concentrating on form. Was too tired for the OHPs too.

It may make some sense to invest in some straps, electric. You'd be amazed at how much farther you can take your training when you don't have to focus on a failing grip. Work your deads until your grip starts to fail, add straps, and slay. Work your grip independently, and you'll see that not only will your deadlift maxes go through the roof, your grip strength will increase in kind. That said, unless you are Lol, it's unlikely that your grip will come up to speed as quickly as your dead loads will. Keep it going, man - looks like you are making great progress this cycle.

<div>
(_tim @ Feb. 06 2009,11:23)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">It may make some sense to invest in some straps, electric.  You'd be amazed at how much farther you can take your training when you don't have to focus on a failing grip.  Work your deads until your grip starts to fail, add straps, and slay.  Work your grip independently, and you'll see that not only will your deadlift maxes go through the roof, your grip strength will increase in kind.  That said, unless you are Lol, it's unlikely that your grip will come up to speed as quickly as your dead loads will.  Keep it going, man - looks like you are making great progress this cycle.</div>
I agree. Straps let you focus on your deads, rather than on your grip. I've found that my grip sometimes gets iffy when I work much past 75% 1RM.

I invested in a pair of Versa Grips and solved the deadlift problem entirely. Plus they are a great help with barbell calf raises, shrugs, and RDLs.

Then, on off-days, I get to play with my grippers...  
ghostface.gif

Tim and TR, thanks for the suggestions. I am thinking about getting some straps for deadlifts (and if necessary, weighted chins and rows) I am just worried I'll underdevelop my grip strength and decent grippers are not easy to come by around here. I can add static holds but then it is one more lift I'll have to add to my routine...

HST Cycle #4, day 11. Last day of the 10s. BW @ 74.5Kg (164.3lbs). Routine:

Flat BB Bench - 10, 9, 8, 7 @ 75Kg (165lbs)
V-Squat - 3x10 @ 140Kg (309lbs)
Pendlay's Rows - 2x10, 7, 6 @ 75Kg (165lbs)
Machine Weighted Crunch - 3x10 @ 85Kg (187lbs)

Spotter helped the last rep or two of all sets for Bench. I know you guys are tired of me whining about my bench strength so I'll just stop complaining and do the best I can
biggrin.gif

HST Cycle #4, day 13. First day of the 5s. BW @ 74.3Kg (163.8lbs). Routine:

Deadlift - 6x5 @ 105Kg (232lbs)
Dips - 6x5 @ BW
Chin-ups - 6x5 @ BW
OHP - 3x5 @ 41Kg (90lbs) - strict
Machine Weighted Crunch - 6x5 @ 70Kg (154lbs)

All weights were light but the volume is a killer. I'll reduce the number of sets on Monday. Btw, I might have mentioned this before, but I love the 5s  
biggrin.gif

<div>
(electric @ Feb. 11 2009,9:56)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Btw, I might have mentioned this before, but I love the 5s  
biggrin.gif
</div>
I'm with you on that one for sure!!
smile.gif

<div>
(electric @ Feb. 06 2009,3:20)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I wanted to get at least one set of 10 on the deadlift but my grip failed (even using mixed grip). From there things got pretty ugly but I tried to get as many reps in as I could. When my grip starts failing I also have a hard time concentrating on form. Was too tired for the OHPs too.</div>
electric: with your deads, are you resetting your grip between each rep? Are you using chalk? I find that even a couple of seconds between reps for deads helps with grip recovery. If you are doing touch-and-go reps then your grip will be much more likely to give out during longer sets.

Apologies if I've asked you this stuff before. Can't remember.

Lol, I can't use chalk in my gym and I only do touch-and-go during warmups. For the first reps when the grip isn't fatigued yet I don't let go of the bar (not touch-and-go tho) but when fatigue starts kicking in I reset my grip during reps or change it (change the pronated and supinated hand in the mixed grip). The problem is that the grip fatigues too fast and I lose a lot of strength. Even after a 5 min rest the grip is still not 100%.

HST Cycle #4, day 14. 2nd day of the 5s. BW @ 74.9Kg (165.1lbs). Routine:

Flat BB Bench - 6x5 @ 73Kg (161lbs)
V-Squat - 6x5 @ 110Kg (243lbs)
Pendlay's Rows - 6x5 @ 73Kg (161lbs)
Upright Rows/High Pulls - 3x5 @ 48Kg (106lbs)
Machine Weighted Crunches - 6x5 @ 75Kg (165lbs)
Flat DB Bench - 2x8 @ 48Kg (106lbs) - combined DB weight

HST Cycle #4, day 15. 3rd day of the 5s. BW @ 75.7Kg (167lbs) ouch
smile.gif

Routine:

Deadlift - 4x5 @ 121Kg (267lbs)
Dips - 5x5 @ BW+10Kg (22lbs) for a total of ~86Kg (190lbs)
Chins - 5x5 @ BW+10Kg (22lbs) for a total of ~86Kg (190lbs)
Machined Weighted Crunch - 6x5 @ 80Kg (176lbs)
OHP - 2x5 @ 51Kg (112lbs) - strict-ish
Seated Incline DB Curl - 5 @ 28Kg (62lbs), 5 @ 32Kg (71lbs) - combined DB weight

Couldn't workout in the morning today so I had to go during lunch. Good workout. Deadlifts were alright, used mixed grip and alternated the grip every rep. Lifts were &quot;super-setted&quot; for an extra rest period.
While I was static-holding the deadlift bar, the music was playing &quot;All I ever wanted, all I ever needed, is here, in my arms...&quot; so right  
biggrin.gif

HST Cycle #4, day 16. 4th day of the 5s. BW @ 75.1Kg (165.6lbs). Routine:

Flat BB Bench - 3x5, 2x6 @ 77Kg (170lbs)
V-Squat - 2x5, 8 @ 140Kg (309lbs)
Smith Lunges - 5 @ 40Kg (88lbs), 2x5 @ 60Kg (132lbs)
Pendlay's Rows - 5x5 @ 77Kg (170lbs)
Machine Weighted Crunches - 6x5 @ 85Kg (187lbs)
Seated Incline DB Curl - 3x5 @ 36Kg (79lbs) - combined DB weight

Bench was sweet, spotter only helped a little on the 6th rep of the last set. I was not in the mood of doing upright rows so skipped them. Was bored with the V-Squat so tried some lunges on the smith machine.
A gym instructor reprimanded me on the pendlay's for rounding my lower back. Well, I had it coming I noticed that I am really rounding it and that is dangerous. He suggested that I do a chest supported row when the weights are heavy... will think about it.

<div>
(electric @ Feb. 18 2009,11:13)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">A gym instructor reprimanded me on the pendlay's for rounding my lower back. Well, I had it coming I noticed that I am really rounding it and that is dangerous. He suggested that I do a chest supported row when the weights are heavy...</div>
There is a lot to be said for chest-supported rows. I do a variant of that myself. You don't want to exhaust and eventually injure your back.

However, except for your Pendlays and deads, you don't seem to be doing a lot of lower back work. Your V-squat machine takes the load off your core (you don't really have to balance anything), so you mainly concentrate on your quads.

Maybe back off on the weight a bit on your Pendlays while you work to get your form right. Then go from there...

<div>
(TunnelRat @ Feb. 18 2009,9:17)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE"><div>
(electric @ Feb. 18 2009,11:13)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">A gym instructor reprimanded me on the pendlay's for rounding my lower back. Well, I had it coming I noticed that I am really rounding it and that is dangerous. He suggested that I do a chest supported row when the weights are heavy...</div>
There is a lot to be said for chest-supported rows. I do a variant of that myself. You don't want to exhaust and eventually injure your back.

However, except for your Pendlays and deads, you don't seem to be doing a lot of lower back work. Your V-squat machine takes the load off your core (you don't really have to balance anything), so you mainly concentrate on your quads.

Maybe back off on the weight a bit on your Pendlays while you work to get your form right. Then go from there...</div>
TR, I think that if I back the weight off enough to not round the lower back I won't be doing enough load for the upper back/rhomboids. Maybe I'll follow your suggestion and do a lighter pendlay focusing on keeping the lower back straight but will also add some chest-supported heavier rows to work the upper back hard.

HST Cycle #4, day 17. 5th day of the 5s. BW @ 75Kg (165.4lbs). Routine:

Deadlift - 5, 4, 4x1 @ 131Kg (289lbs), 10 @ 91Kg (201lbs)
Dips - 2x5 @ BW+20Kg (44lbs) - total of ~95Kg (209lbs)
Chins - 2x5 @ BW+20Kg (44lbs) - total of ~95Kg (209lbs)
Flat DB Bench - 2x8 @ 56Kg (123lbs) - combined DB weight
Some biceps curls

Lack of grip strength got the best of me again on the deadlift. Chins were ok but dips were too heavy. Although I was able to get 2 sets of 5 with reasonable ROM, I think a little less load would have been ideal. After Chin I was unable to stick to the plan and started doing random exercises, did the DB Bench and some cable biceps curls that were not planned did do all the planned sets for chins and dips, even tried a DB Bench on a swiss ball. Do not recommend!
biggrin.gif
The DB Benches logged above were done on a regular (stable) bench. Also skipped OHPs and Crunches.

Went to my parents house today and got to work out in their gym.
Flat BB Bench - 8, 3x10 @ 66Kg (146lbs)
Standing DB Curl - 10, 3x15 @ 24Kg (53lbs) combined DB weight
Chin ups - 3x10 @ BW

This week was Carnival here in Brazil so the gym didn't open on Monday and on Wednesday. Monday's workout was kind of replaced by the workout from my previous post and Wednesday's was replaced by a workout in my club's gym. They basically have a station and some other machines. The stacks are numbered so I can't really tell the weights used. What I did was try to use the heaviest weight I could while getting 5 reps. The exercises I did: Bench, Leg press, Chest supported row, leg curls, biceps curls and cable triceps extension.

Today the gym was opened again so here's the breakdown. BW @ 75.4Kg (166.3lbs). Routine:

Deadlift - 5 @ 91Kg (201lbs), 5 @ 131Kg (289lbs), 2, 0 @ 151Kg (333lbs)
Dips - 5 @ BW
Chin-ups - 5, 3x6 @ BW+10Kg (22lbs) - total of ~86Kg (190lbs)
DB Flat Bench - 7, 3x8 @ 60Kg (132lbs) - combined DB weight
Machined Weighted Crunch - 6x5 @ 90Kg (198lbs)
BB Static Holds - 3x10sec @ 91Kg (201lbs)
Cable Reverse Curls - 5 @ 30Kg (66lbs), 5 @ 35Kg (77lbs), 5 @ 40Kg (88lbs), 2x3 @ 45Kg (99lbs), 5 @ 40Kg (88lbs)
Cable Reverse Pushdowns - 5 @ 40kg (88lbs), 5 @ 50Kg (110lbs), 5 @ 60Kg (132lbs)

I usually don't log my warmup sets, this time I added my last warmup set for deadlifts because there was basically only one work set  
smile.gif
. The 5 reps at 131Kg (289lbs) were pretty smooth. The 151Kg (333lbs) attempt was ugly, got two reps in and the second one was probably not 100% complete. Once again lack of grip strength/endurance was the culprit. Getting two reps at that weight was nice anyway.

Was planning on doing weighted dips but the BW warmup already got my clavicles hurting, probably from Wednesday's heavy benching, so I switched to DB Bench which was piece of cake, even went beyond 5 reps to 8.

The reverse biceps curl was to work the Brachioradialis since the grip position put the biceps brachii in a disadvantageous mechanical position and thus the brachioradialis make up for it. Nothing more to add to it though. The reverse triceps pushdowns were probably pointless.

On Saturday I went to my club's gym again. Nothing big, did some shrugs, calf extensions, weighted crunches, DB curls and rope triceps pushdowns. UD2.0 is right around the corner, maybe I'll extend my 5s for 1 more week before going on the cut which will probably last a month. My goal is to return to the 10% bf range. I am currently around 14%.

<div>
(electric @ Mar. 01 2009,2:17)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">...maybe I'll extend my 5s for 1 more week before going on the cut....</div>
Anything to avoid starting that cut, right electric?
biggrin.gif

I'm with 'ya - I'd take 5's all year if I just could keep my calories up.

Back