electric's log

Friday, Feb 5 workout:
Paused Back Squat - 5 @ 91Kg (201lbs)
Paused Back Squat (with help from the spotter) - 2x5 @ 101Kg (223lbs)
Paused Bench (with help from the spotter) - 3x5 @ 81Kg (179lbs)
Crunches

Since I had someone to help, I decided to try a big jump on the squat weight. It was too much. Definitely. Spotter helped me on most reps. Since the weight was there and the spotter was there, instead of decreasing the weight I did other set and help from the spotter. The bite that took from my energy was such that I ended up needing help from the spotter on the bench and decided to cut the workout short. Will do the missing exercises tomorrow.

For some variation today's workout was Myo-reppy.

Back Squats - 71Kg (157lbs) - 12 rep activation set + myo-reps
Flat Bench - 12x51Kg (112lbs) then 59Kg (130lbs) 9 rep activation set + myo-reps
BB Rows - 59Kg (130lbs) - 10 rep activation set + myo-reps

I can't get myself to log the number of reps in the myo-rep clusters, I do 5 or 6 clusters with as many reps as I can until I am near failure but avoiding actually failing the rep. The weight for bench was too light so I raised it a little. Myo-rep squats are not for the weak willed, that's for sure. Quads are already a little sore.

More myoreps:

Deadlifts - 12 @ 103Kg (227lbs) followed by 5 myo-rep sets
OHP - 15 @ 33Kg (73lbs) followed by 5 myo-rep sets
BB Curls - 10 @ 33Kg (73lbs) followed by 5 myo-rep sets

The myo-rep deadlift destroyed me. The weight wasn't heavy but the metabolic work of doing myo-reps was a killer for me.

I am off on a ski trip in Park City, UT, so I guess is SD for me and I'll resume lifting when I am back.

Back from my vacation. Thanks tim, I had a nice time skiing in Utah. Now I am back to the melting heat of over 40C (104F).
Today's returning workout:

Paused Squat - 3x5 @ 81Kg (179lbs) - ATG
Paused Bench - 3x5 @ 71Kg (157lbs)
BB Rows - 3x5 @ 71Kg (157lbs)
Standing BB curls - 2x5 @ 39Kg (86lbs)

I have to get my lazy axe to film my squats so that you guys can check my form...

Monday's (Mar 01) Workout:

Paused Squat - 3x5 @ 81Kg (179lbs) - ATG
Paused Bench - 3x5 @ 71Kg (157lbs)
Standing BB curls - 2x5 @ 39Kg (86lbs)

Yes, I repeated all weights from last workout.

<div>
(electric @ Mar. 01 2010,10:38)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Yes, I repeated all weights from last workout.</div>
Nothing wrong with that at all, electric. Move at a pace that you feel comfortable with in every aspect.

<div>
(_tim @ Mar. 01 2010,11:26)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE"><div>
(electric @ Mar. 01 2010,10:38)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Yes, I repeated all weights from last workout.</div>
Nothing wrong with that at all, electric.  Move at a pace that you feel comfortable with in every aspect.</div>
Yup, especially after a week or so off.

Thanks for the support TR and tim.

Workout (Mar 3):
Paused Squat - 3x5 @ 83Kg (183lbs) - ATG
Paused Bench - 3x5 @ 73Kg (161lbs)
BB Rows - 3x5 @ 69Kg (152lbs)

Upped squat and bench a little but decided to reduce the weight on the rows somewhat. Lost my groove on the last rep of the last set of bench and the bar stopped midway. I was frozen there for some good 5 seconds with the bar stuck before lockout but instead of giving up I kept the battle going until I succeeded. Feels good
smile.gif

<div>
(electric @ Mar. 03 2010,11:15)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Lost my groove on the last rep of the last set of bench and the bar stopped midway. I was frozen there for some good 5 seconds with the bar stuck before lockout but instead of giving up I kept the battle going until I succeeded. Feels good
smile.gif
</div>
Now THAT is the way to lift. Great victory, electric.

<div>
(_tim @ Mar. 03 2010,11:26)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE"><div>
(electric @ Mar. 03 2010,11:15)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Lost my groove on the last rep of the last set of bench and the bar stopped midway. I was frozen there for some good 5 seconds with the bar stuck before lockout but instead of giving up I kept the battle going until I succeeded. Feels good
smile.gif
</div>
Now THAT is the way to lift.  Great victory, electric.</div>
Yup, it's not lifting to failure if you manage the lockout...

I don't know if I am supposed to import the missing posts or if I'll end up with duplicate posts but I'll do it anyway.
Friday's (Mar 5) workout was a PM one instead of the usual AM.
Paused Squats - 4x5 @ 85Kg (187lbs)
Paused Bench - 2x5, 1x4, 1x1 @ 75Kg (165lbs)
BB Rows - 4x5 @ 69Kg (152lbs)

Decided to do one extra set per exercise. Bench wasn't good. Spotter helped me with the 5th rep of the 3rd set and with the 2nd rep of the 4th set so I decided to call it quits with the bench.

Monday's (Mar 8) workout:
Paused Squats - 3x5 @ 87Kg (192lbs)
Paused Bench - 2x5, 1x4, 1x1 @ 75Kg (165lbs)

Failed the 5th rep of the 3rd set, tried to get an additional set of 2 or 3 but failed on the 2nd rep. I think there is a psychological component to always failing the 5th rep of the 3rd set.

Rest day today (Mar 9), just for kicks did:
Handstands against the wall - 3x1min
Planks - 1min, 2x1min15sec

Mar 10 workout:
Paused Squats - 3x5 @ 89Kg (196lbs)
Paused Bench - 3x5, 1x1 @ 75Kg (165lbs)
Standing BB Curls - 2x5 @ 41Kg (90lbs)

Ok, got the 3x5 @ 75Kg bench. It is not a PR but it eluded me for the last 2 workouts. Didn't increase the rest between sets (2 min) but might have reduced the length of the pause by a fraction of a second. Anyway got all reps in and did a last single for commemoration :) Tried some methods to do the rows with chest support but they didn't work so I'll stick to regular bent over rows.

Thanks tim. Today's (Mar 11) rest day:
Handstand - 1x1min 30sec
Plank - 2x1:30, 1x2min
Diamond push-ups - 3x10

Ok. I can't hold the handstand for 2 minutes :) Past the 1 min mark the shoulders started shaking and by 1:30 they were almost giving up on me. Settled for 1 set of that. The diamond push-ups are more of a shoulder workout then actually chest focused. I am just not sure if I am supposed to touch my hands with my chest, my chin or my forehead considering the objective of this exercise.

Handstand - 1x1min 30sec

Ok. I can't hold the handstand for 2 minutes :) Past the 1 min mark the shoulders started shaking and by 1:30 they were almost giving up on me. Settled for 1 set of that.

Well done. 1:30 is good going.

I can hold them longest with my hands placed wider than shoulder-width but if I do them strictly, in true gymnast style, with hands no wider than shoulder-width apart, then even 1 minute is tough; my elbows just want to give way once I hit around 45 seconds. I hope a 5 minute hold is in my future.

Lol, I think I use a shoulder width hand placing or slightly wider. I can't even imagine myself holding the handstand for 5 minutes. 2 minutes seem a tall order already :) Maybe I set my goals too low. :)
Today's (Mar 12) workout:
Paused Squat - 4x5 @ 91Kg (201lbs) - ATG
Paused Bench - 4x5 @ 77Kg (170lbs)
BB Rows - 4x5 @ 73Kg (161lbs)
Hard-to-explain crunches - 2x10

Ok, the crunches are good and pretty hard for body weight. You start laying down and raise both your legs up about 90 degrees. You crunch your torso up slowly while lowering only one lag, hold that position a little (torso up, one leg up and one leg down) and return lowering your torso slowly while raising the lowered lag. Next rep you do the same with the other leg. Rinse and repeat. Don't know how these are called but they sure seem to work the abs.
I got the paused bench but I noticed the duration of the pause has been significantly reduced. It is a little hard to measure the duration of the pause but the slightest change in it causes a significant change in difficulty for the exercise.

Last edited:
Mar 15 workout:
Paused Squat - 3x5 @ 91Kg (201lbs) - ATG
Paused OHP - 5 @ 39Kg (86lbs), 5 @ 41Kg (90lbs), 5 @ 45Kg (99lbs)
Standing BB Curls - 2x5 @ 41Kg (90lbs)
Alternating Leg crunch - 2x10 - exercise explained on previous post

Postponed yesterday's workout to today (Mar 18):
Paused Squat - 3x5 @ 93Kg (205lbs)
Paused Bench - 5 @ 71Kg (157lbs), 5 @ 77Kg (170lbs), 5 @ 81Kg (179lbs)
BB Rows - 3x5 @ 73Kg (161lbs)
Standing BB Curl - 5 @ 43Kg (95lbs)

I am not sure about the squat form. The pause is good but I think I might be GMing the weight up. Bench was good, all reps with proper pause and good form. Took a 7 minute rest before that last set.

Back