Elliot Hulse's Advanced 5x5 - Thoughts?

Discussion in 'Strength-Specific Training (SST)' started by Browner, Feb 9, 2015.

1. Totentanz

Totentanz Super Moderator Staff Member

Sorry, I haven't been active and able to draft up what I was talking about. I do think a DUP setup would serve you well though, for what it is worth.

2. Mattonaise

Mattonaise Member

How was the program? If you decide to do DUP keep us updated on your program and results, I'm considering trying out DUP after my linear progression rather than linear periodization.

Browner likes this.
  3. Browner

Browner Well-Known Member

No need to appologise. I appreciate your input. Out of interest, what did you make of the program I pencilled out?

4. Totentanz

I think that looks like a solid strength focused program, I really like the inclusion of a week to test max singles. Probably wouldn't test maxes on all exercises though, just the big three and maybe a couple others.

Browner likes this.
  5. Mattonaise

Mattonaise Member

Browner you are running it as an HST cycle correct? So the loads are constantly increasing? Also any reason why there is 3 weeks of the 5x3 rather than 2?

6. Browner

It would be as a HST Cycle, and hoping to increase the loads as much as I can, however as it is more strength based rather than Hypertrophy based, im not going to worry if I stall on weights to much. No Particular reason why I had 3 weeks at 5x3, I just personally like three reps.

7. Totentanz

I think you should actually stretch out the 3 rep weeks longer than that. Go up to an RM on week 2 or 3 then keep pushing for new strength gains once you hit your RM for another few weeks. Once strength gains stall, then test your 1 RMs and use them to plan out the next cycle.

Browner likes this.
  8. Mattonaise

Mattonaise Member

Be sure to let us know how it works for you

9. Browner

Will do, Im now having week SD, and will start my new program from next Monday. Im still deciding whether to go for the program I posted above, 5x5, DUP, or Wendler. But once I decide that is what I will be running for the next 6 months. I will post everything in my Log.

Cheers