Enough Calories to grow

• Thread starter imported_fatkins
  • Start date
I

imported_fatkins

Stats:
Weight: 107 (I know Im a skinny biatch)
Height: 5'3" (I know Im a skinny short biatch)
Calorie intake: 1800 (using option 2 from hst article about nutrition)
Cal division: 55/25/2
247.5 g/112.5 g/40 g

No one can answer this question for you. This issue is very subjective. Some can eat below maintenance and still grow. Others have to eat 1000+ cals to grow even at a slow pace. I suggest you read the "Eating for Size" article and read the "Diet and Nutrition" thread in the FAQ. They will tell you everything you need to know about how to set up a good diet plan.

It also depends on "assistance" someone can grow even without increasing their calories if "steroids" are used.

I think a better question would be - "is this optimal for growth?". Why don't you try for a few weeks and tune in the cals yourself ? If, after a couple of weeks, you lose weight, then you need to add cals. If, however, you gain weight, then you're eating enough for growth. I'd probably go for the amount of cals that would add just a little fat on me in addition to muscle...at least I would be able to gain as much quality weight as possible. (But be careful not to get too fat).

One side note. Skinny guys usually have a really high metabolism. A friend of mine didn't add a gram of weight before he hit ~5000kcals per day (he was 47kg, or roughly the same weight as you).

Calorie counters are nothing more than estimates, journalize everything (cals, weights, cardio, other activities outside of ordinary) and weigh yourself once week or so at the same time of day. I like first thing in the morning, empty bladder. Adjust calories to hit weight gain objectives all other things being constant.

1800kcal is very low to start with, even at your weight. I'd go for 2500kcal and then see what happens.

If you don't gain, up 'em to 3000kcal.

If you gain very fast, don't mind and go on with 2500kcal, because your body really need some more bodyweight.

I voted yes. However, keep in mind that as your protein increases relative to your carbs the impact of the carbs on weight gain will deminish somewhat. So, if your protein intake gets too high, you will inadvertantly create a low-carb environment.

Thanks for the helpfull responses, I did 1800 didn't do so well so I ended up uping the activity level to 1.7 which made my caloric intake 2040.

With my diet squared away I have only done 2 workouts and gained 2 pounds in 5 days.

.4 lbs/day

Back