etothepii's HST adventure!!!

I'm back after a looooong break!!! Hello to anyone who may read this!!

Since I last posted, I've been doing a lot of cycling, less lifting, and maintaining my weight at about 147 - 149 lbs. I have been eating whatever the heck I want, and the cycling has been keeping fat off!

I spent the past week in Florida njoying a nice vacation and some SD time. Tomorrow morning (Monday) I start a new HST cycle.

I've decided to lift mwf on an A/B routine, 1x15, 2x10, 3x5, post 5 eccentrics/increasing weight for 5 or 3 reps/ clustering, etc. on T, TH, Sat, I will be cycling or jogging, 30 - 45 minutes.

I am following through on my plan to under-eat during the 15s phase, slowly increase calories through the 10s, and bulk during the 5s and post 5s. This should be a HORRIBLE hypertrophy plan, but a SUCCESSFUL body composition plan. I will be monitoring body fat and weight throughout.

I am also starting creatine for the first time, just to see how it works for me. My routine is:

A
Dead Lift
Dips
Pendlay Rows
Military press
Curls
Skulls
Situps

B
Squats
Calf Raises
Inc. Bench
Chins
Upright rows
Curls
Skulls
Situps

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">This should be a HORRIBLE hypertrophy plan, but a SUCCESSFUL body composition plan. I will be monitoring body fat and weight throughout.</div>

It sounds like a transition cycle from a cut to a bulk. You have everything in line with how you want it, so I won't make any suggestions to change.

If you still look like your avatar, then you don't need to do any cutting IMO.

Just thinking about changing the rep scheme to 2x15, 2x10, 4x5.

Ok, yesterday was my first workout of the cycle.

DL 110#, 1x15
Dips Bodyweight, 1x15
Bent over rows 60#, 1x15
Military Press 60#, 1x15
Preacher Curls 35#, 1x15 (Curl Bar)
Skulls 40#, 1X15
Incline Situps Bodyweight, 1x20

Workout was quick and pretty easy. Good for a first workout, but I am going to increase the &quot;Big Four&quot; to 2x15. I'm also changing to 3x10 for the 10s. Not sure if I'll maintain the 30 rep structure through the 5s.

Today, I did an easy ride. I cycled 15 miles at an average of 17.8 mph. This would be low intensity steady state cardio for me. I'll keep this up through the 15s.

Reflections on creatine: Can't tell any effect yet -- just two days into loading. I'm doing a slower load too, 15g per day: 5g pre-workout, 5g post-workout, 5g after dinner.

You probably won't notice significant effects until this weekend, especially with your slower load. Make sure and drink lots of water.. it might just be me but I get quickly dehydrated if I don't.

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">You probably won't notice significant effects until this weekend, especially with your slower load. Make sure and drink lots of water.. it might just be me but I get quickly dehydrated if I don't. </div>

I'm not trying to sound cynical, but that is the entire point of creatine. It opens the valves within your muscle cells to let more H2O come in. I believe the average human being processes 2.9g/day, so the outstanding amounts (10-20g/day) that manufacturers suggest you load is way too much. When I use creatine, I save my money by taking 5g/day, and I am awarded with some extra strength. As GatorDude said though, you must drink a lot of water for that effect to take place. I'm sure you already know that e^pi!
cool.gif

My water intake has increased a lot. It's taking a conscious effort, but I'm doing it.

About loading, studies I have read suggest that higher doses cause your muscle cells to reach saturation more quickly than lower doses. Once saturated, you can go down to 2-3 g per day -- just what I have read.

It really depends on how long you are willing to wait for results. You can get results within 3-4 days if you load, or after about a week if you don't. Those numbers are from my personal experiences. I personally don't mind waiting, because I'm cheap and prefer to save the extra 20 scoops from not loading.

Yesterday's workout:

Squat 100#, 2x15
Calves 100#, 1x22
Inc. Bench 80#, 2x15
Chins one leg supported on ladder, 2x15
Upright Rows 45#, 2x15
Curls 35#, 1x15
Skulls 40#, 1x15
Inc. Situps Bodyweight, 1x20

Today:
15 miles on bike, ave. 18.3 mph.

Feeling really good so far. Thighs have some pretty severe DOMS. Hig rep ATG squats and cycling -- I guess they will do that!

Monday morning weight (day one) was 149 #. For the past two days, I have had a morning weight of 147#.

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Feeling really good so far. Thighs have some pretty severe DOMS. Hig rep ATG squats and cycling -- I guess they will do that!</div>

You must be limping!
laugh.gif

<div>
(colby2152 @ Jun. 28 2007,13:40)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE"> <div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Feeling really good so far. Thighs have some pretty severe DOMS. Hig rep ATG squats and cycling -- I guess they will do that!</div>

You must be limping!
laugh.gif
</div>
Not quite limping, but I tried to kneel down on the floor to play with my kids and almost screamed in pain!

BTW, I bought a body fat measuring scale -- prepared that most people find them very inaccurate. Well, it has been measuring me anywhere between 17% and 25.5% body fat. I know that's not right, but I thought I could use it in order to chart progress.

However, I reset my profile using the &quot;athletic&quot; setting, and it measured my bf at 12%, which I think might be about right. I'll do measurements over the next few days on this new setting and see if there's any consistency to it.

Yesterday's workout:

DL 120#, 2x15
Dips Bodyweight+7.5#, 2x15
Bent over rows 70#, 2x15
Military Press 70#, 2x15
Preacher Curls 40#, 1x15 (Curl Bar)
Skulls 50#, 1X15
Incline Situps Bodyweight, 1x20

Today:
15 miles, ave. speed, 19.2 mph.

I went out to eat last night, and ate about 250 extra calories, but I'm not too concerned about it.

Yesterday's workout:

Squat 115#, 2x15
Calves 115#, 1x22
Inc. Bench 95#, 2x15
Chins one leg supported on ladder+7.5#, 2x15
Upright Rows 50#, 2x15
Curls 40#, 1x15
Skulls 50#, 1x15
Inc. Situps Bodyweight +5#, 1x16

Today:
15 miles on bike, ave. 17.9 mph.

Slept like a rock last night. I have never enjoyed sleep like I am right now!

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">However, I reset my profile using the &quot;athletic&quot; setting, and it measured my bf at 12%, which I think might be about right. I'll do measurements over the next few days on this new setting and see if there's any consistency to it.
</div>

I am thinking you are much closer to 10%. I would be interested in that scale if it gets pretty accurate.

Yesterday's workout:

DL 130#, 2x15
Dips Bodyweight+15#, 2x15
Bent over rows 80#, 2x15
Military Press 80#, 1x15, 1x11
Preacher Curls 45#, 1x15 (Curl Bar)
Skulls 60#, 1X15
Incline Situps Bodyweight+5#, 1x20

Today:
14 miles, ave. speed, 18.4 mph.

<div>
(colby2152 @ Jul. 03 2007,11:16)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE"> <div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">However, I reset my profile using the &quot;athletic&quot; setting, and it measured my bf at 12%, which I think might be about right. I'll do measurements over the next few days on this new setting and see if there's any consistency to it.
</div>

I am thinking you are much closer to 10%.  I would be interested in that scale if it gets pretty accurate.</div>
Well, this morning, I weighed 147 and it told me I was 20% bf. By mid-day (after eating, drinking and using the restroom...) I weighed 149 and it said my bf% was 10.5%.

A lot of variation there.

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">A lot of variation there. </div>

Yeah. Tell me about it!
rock.gif

Yesterday's workout:

Squat 130#, 2x15
Calves 130#, 1x17
Inc. Bench 115#, 2x15
Chins one leg supported on ladder+15#, 2x15
Upright Rows 55#, 2x15
Curls 45#, 1x15
Skulls 55#, 1x15
Inc. Situps Bodyweight +5#, 1x16

Today:

No time to bike ride today. I'm painting all day. No fun, but it will burn some calories
biggrin.gif

Notes on progress.

Monday, before my startof this cycle. I took weight and measurements.

Weight: 149
Biceps  L 13 1/4,         R 13 1/4
Chest   37 1/2
Waste  32 1/4 (at widest point)
Thigh    L 21 1/2,   R 21 1/2
Calf       L14 1/8,   R 14 1/8
Shoulders 43

Before my first HST cycle, my measurements were:

Weight: 148
Biceps  L 13,         R 13
Chest   38 1/4
Waste  32 1/2 (at navel)
Thigh    L 21 1/4,   R 21 1/4
Calf       L14 3/4,   R 14 7/8
Shoulders 43

It seems like pretty pathetic results for over a year's work, but...

My body fat composition has changes so much. In this time, I bulked up to 167 and cut back down again. I have gained definition and vascularity that I have never seen before. I have better abs than I have ever had -- even in my lean teenage years. My strength is way better as well.

I have most definately replaced a significant amount of fat with muscle.

Back