Explosive Growth With HST

Thanks for the notes Lol, good information.

About the calves - would you recommend continuing with 2 sets of 5s or should I add more sets and/or higher reps? I've always read and heard that calves respond better to higher reps, but since this is my first HST cycle I was trying to stick to the program.

I don't believe you can really do much for calves unless you give them a lot of work to do over and above what they are conditioned to do already—which is an awful lot! Consider that in merely walking along, you are carrying your full body weight on one leg with every step you take, over and over again. It's like some giant max-stim set! Due to this and all the other activities you engage in, your calves are tough.

I think the whole belief in the 'higher reps' for calves idea is merely because of the amount of work done. Most people that use heavier loads just don't do enough work at that loading to stimulate much of a PS response. Trouble is, if you do higher reps you are having to use lighter, less effective loads—well, they'll be effective for a short time but then your calves will get conditioned to the load and refuse to grow any more, however many sets you care to do.

I'd do a load progression for calves just like any other muscle group but I'd use heavier loads than I would use for other muscle groups at the start of a cycle (eg. I'd start with a load that would allow me to do 10-12 reps and increment from there) and try to do a good number of sets. I don't think 30-50 reps per session is unreasonable once your calves are used to regular full ROM exercise. (NB. That said, do ease in carefully; it's very easy to overcook your calves at the start of a cycle and induce DOMS from hell when they aren't used to the range of motion they will be working over.) In order to get enough work done it's quite a good idea to weave sets for calves between other exercises in your workout. That way it wont seem like 5 sets for calves is taking an age.

Another thing to bear in mind is that calf development is very much a genetic thing. Although it must be true of other muscles as well, calf muscle tissue volume varies a great deal from person to person. Some relatively small light folks have a ton of calf muscle mass whereas some tall heavy folks have small, high calf muscles. You can only work with what you've got so don't expect miracles. A lot of people who work calves do so because they happen to have a dearth of muscle tissue in that area. There is no way you will ever get calves like Tom Platz if you've started out with short, high calf muscles.

The best calf muscle increase that I have ever seen (over the course of a year) was in a young lad who was roiding. He did a few heavy sets of calf-raises everyday. His calves blew up! Mind you, so did the rest of him—can you say 'stretch marks?!'

I've never really focused on calves very much. Like you've stated, I've always noticed that it was hard to get them to grow. I've played sports all my life and competed in sport karate fighting, kickboxing etc.. I feel that my calves are overall very well conditioned, but they aren't BIG by any means.

Tonight's session: (5s workout #2)

Incline: 3x5@135
Bent rows: 3x5@135
DB shoulder press: 3x5@40s
Lat Pulldowns: 2x5@140, 1x5@120 (again, no 130 setting)
Squats: 3x5@205
Rom DL: 2x5@195
EZ curls: 2x5@50
Skulls: 2x5@50
Shrugs: 2x5@225
Calf raises: 2x6@405

Everything felt great. One thing I am noticing about my routine now is that I get a decent upper body pump during my first 4 exercises, then I move into squats and Romanian deads and all the blood rushes to my legs, so by the time I start my iso work my arms aren't pumped anymore. I'm not sure if this really matters much, but I know it's good to force the muscles to pump as much as possible to stretch the muscle fascia, allowing for more growth.

I may switch this up next cycle and see if the results change much.

*Edit: Also forgot to mention, I weighed again today and came in at 196 before eating, so it looks like paying more attention to my calories to make sure I'm getting enough is paying off. That's two pounds in 8 days. I would need to do a caliper check to see if it was all muscle or not (not likely), but still it's 2 pounds. Just thought I'd mention that.

I train at Anytime Fitness, and they have a web app called Anytime Health that I use for tracking nutrition. I've used fitday.com before, and it will suffice for a free web app, but the Anytime Health app blows it away. If any of you train at Anytime Fitness, definitely check into the web app.

Last edited:
Back