Explosive Growth With HST

OneCrazyMofo

This is my first post on the HST forums. I’ve been reading here for a few days, and I’m impressed with the community overall. Everyone seems very helpful and supportive of each other, and there are a select few ‘experts’ that are active and help out the newer guys, which is always appreciated.

I just started learning HST principles a couple of weeks ago, and after discussing it with a good friend of mine who is also a personal trainer/bodybuilder, I’ve decided to give it a shot. I wanted to start posting my experience as a first timer going through the program to help other people who may be in a similar situation decide if it’s right for them, and also to keep myself motivated and on track.

I’ve always been very athletic. I’ve played just about every sport you can imagine, and I’ve trained specifically for certain sports at certain times in my life.

Lately I’ve been training for size with more traditional bodybuilding principles (pyramid rep schemes, lower reps, heavy weight, compound lifts, training to failure, negatives and forced reps, supersets, resting 7 days between splits, etc..). I’ve gained some size and strength for sure, but I feel like I’ve hit somewhat of a plateau, and since HST focuses primarily on sarcoplasmic hypertrophy (which is what I want), the idea/concept was immediately attractive to me.

I’ve never been a big guy by any means. I would categorize myself as a 60/40 ecto-meso. I’ve always been very lean and it’s hard for me to add weight, but really easy to trim down, although over the past couple of years I think my metabolism has slowed down some. Currently I’m hovering around 192 pounds at 5’11”, with about 15% bodyfat (estimate based on electronic Omron fat loss monitor, not entirely accurate but I plan to get out the calipers soon). I also want to get exact body measurements as well. I’ll post those when I have them.

Bench press is typically my weakest lift. During a couple of recent pyramid training cycles, I was using almost the same weight on shoulder presses as I was on the flat bench, but it’s gotten a tad better during my most recent training period. Currently I’m working out with 185 on flat bench for work/heavy sets, usually 5-6 reps. I have no idea what my 1rm might be.

I would say legs are my strength. I’m currently squatting 405 for 4-5 reps going to parallel. I haven’t gone below parallel in years because of a torn mcl (football injury), and not wanting to put too much pressure on my knees. Admittedly this may be psychological, but my thoughts have been “why risk injury?”.

To some of the experts here, what (if any?) benefits would I get by going below parallel on squats? I’ve seen some guys here mention that they don’t consider only going to parallel a “full” rep. I have no problems going below parallel on lighter weights (225-275) and I never have any pain, but on the heavier weights I feel much more pressure on the joints (naturally), so I haven’t wanted to push it.

Goals:
My goal is to gain overall size/mass in all areas. I’d love to be 210lbs lean, 7-8% bodyfat. I’ve never been that big.

I’m more interested in overall physique and appearance at this point in my life; strength gains would be an added bonus but I have no practical day to day use for hulk-like strength since I’m currently not playing sports. Symmetry and proportion are important, so I’ve tried to design my HST program around these goals.

Proposed HST program:
I want to start with a 12, 8, 5 cycle. I don’t have any joint problems/pain, and as I mentioned my priority for this training cycle is sarcoplasmic hypertrophy. Also for the sake of simplicity and time constraints, I want to do 3 full body workouts per week instead of splitting into the AM/PM format. So my first week of 12s would look like this:

Incline Press x 2 (slight incline)
Bent over row x2
DB shoulder press x1
Lateral raises x1
Rear raises x1
Lat pulldowns x2
Dips x1
Squats x1
Romanian DL x2
Barbell curls x1
Tricep cable pushdowns x1
Shrugs x1
Calf raises x1

This would give me a total of 17 sets per workout.

I'll be doing abs and 20-30 minutes of steady state cardio on off days.

Any critiquing/suggestion is welcome. I placed priority on the upper body lifts because I feel that’s where my weaknesses are, so I moved squats and DLs to later in the workout to try to avoid fatigue before getting to the incline bench and shoulder lifts.

I want to finish off with a few isos to enhance overall development of my arms, traps, and calves. If I rest 2 - 2.5 minutes between sets, I should be able to do this routine in an hour.

What do you guys think?

Also, how should the routine progress when I go into the first week of 8s, and then 5s?

I’m going to start on Monday to find my 12rms if there are no glaring problems with my setup.

Hopefully I can post measurements later today for a reference point.

are those the exercises you are doing every day? give it a go but i think its too much. one compound and maybe one iso per body part. might be better to split into A B style if you want to do all those exercises. you may think its easy when doing the high reps but i promise you it gets bloody hard when you are doing warmups plus 3 sets of 5. also try and keep the volume constant - 1 set of 12s (i'd push out to 15s), 2 sets 8s (again push out to 10s), 3 sets 5.

have you set your rep maxes yet?

Measurements

In inches:

Neck: 15.5
Chest: 44
Waist: 36 (I was shocked at this one, no wonder my size 32s were tight..)
Bicep: 15.25
Hips (around butt): 41.75
Top of thigh: 25
Calf: 14.75

I haven't been taking creatine for over a week now, so these should be accurate numbers. I'll start loading creatine again during the SD week after I find my RMs.

This shows I definitely need to work on my arms and calves.

Hey, welcome!

It's super early and I've not quite finished my coffee yet - so I don't know if my brain is fully functioning yet - but I thought the case for going below parallel on squats was for activating the glutes and hams. Otherwise, it is quad dominant.

Oz - Yes I was planning to do this routine every workout (every other day), MWF. I appreciate your suggestions about pushing out to 15s and 10s, but can I ask why you think this would be better for my goals? I'm not saying you are wrong or right, just wondering what your reasoning might be.

I'm planning to find out my 12RMs this afternoon (unless someone convinces me otherwise), which I'll post here again.

Whistle - That's interesting. I've always considered squats to be quad dominant regardless of full depth or parallel. After I posted the original question, I did some research on the topic of going to parallel vs. going full depth, and most of the current info says that going full depth might actually be less strenuous on the knees because when going to parallel only, you have to stop the descent of the movement when the knees are at 90 degrees (roughly), placing max pressure right on the joint. I also read that the majority of knee injuries from full rep squats usually come from bouncing at the bottom of the lift to get 'out of the hole'. This makes sense to me, so I think I'm going to go full rep during this cycle and just use lighter weights and see how it feels.

Thanks for the comments guys.

Last edited:
Oz - Yes I was planning to do this routine every workout (every other day), MWF. I appreciate your suggestions about pushing out to 15s and 10s, but can I ask why you think this would be better for my goals? I'm not saying you are wrong or right, just wondering what your reasoning might be.

I'm planning to find out my 12RMs this afternoon (unless someone convinces me otherwise), which I'll post here again.

Whistle - That's interesting. I've always considered squats to be quad dominant regardless of full depth or parallel. After I posted the original question, I did some research on the topic of going to parallel vs. going full depth, and most of the current info says that going full depth might actually be less strenuous on the knees because when going to parallel only, you have to stop the decent of the movement when the knees are at 90 degrees (roughly), placing max pressure right on the joint. I also read that the majority of knee injuries from full rep squats usually come from bouncing at the bottom of the lift to get 'out of the hole'. This makes sense to me, so I think I'm going to go full rep during this cycle and just use lighter weights and see how it feels.

Thanks for the comments guys.

I go just below parallel on high rep squats (unless the weight is really light); full ROM makes me more likely to bounce as I fatigue. I returned to deep squats last week since finished the high rep phase. I've had major DOMS since I started going all the way down again. I felt the most sore in my hamstrings and hip adductors. That's were the difference lies.

the short answer is - thats what bryan says to do - 2 weeks of 15s, 2 weeks of 10s, 2 weeks of 5s, 2 weeks of negs/5 maxes. why change something thats been proven to work? i'm not saying 12, 8, 5 won't work - it probably will and if thats what you want to do then go for it. but for me personally, after doing years of 12, 10, 8, 6 HIT training i wanted something different and after reading about why you do 15s - to strengthen the joints and ligaments for the heavier lifts, that really appealed to me. it also gives you a broader range of weights per exercise - one of the key factors of hypertrophy is to increase weight for a given volume. 5 to 15 gives you that. if you want to get bigger and stronger 15s is a key element. you dont have to do them next cycle if you feel your joints are strong enough, but trust me they do help when you get to the 3rd and 4th week of 5s, and they are still within the range of hypertrophy.

Thanks again for the suggestions guys.

Oz - I've decided to take your advice and cut out some of the exercises. My new routine will look like this:

Incline Bench x2 (slight incline)
Bent over barbell rows x2
DB shoulder press x2
Lat Pulldowns x2
Squats x2
Romanian DL x1
EZ bar curls x1
Skullcrushers x1
DB Shrugs x1
Calf raises x1

I cut out the two extra shoulder exercises and the dips for this cycle. I left in the arm and calf isos because I think I need to improve both of those body parts.

I'm going to stick with my 12/8/5 formula, but thanks for explaining your reasoning for recommending the 15s. I don't doubt that the 15s help, and I may do them for my next cycle if this one works out well. I just feel like 12s are a more optimal rep range for hypertrophy.

12RMs

So after my most recent training program in which I was likely overtraining (supersets, negatives, etc) and then taking last week off (and eating terrible), I went in tonight to get my 12RMs and I felt weak right from the beginning. I'm guessing the majority of that was poor nutrition and a weekend of some serious drinking/partying. I knew it was going to be my last weekend to really party for a while so I might have gone a bit overboard... but it happens.

I'm guessing I'll probably blast through these numbers after one cycle, at least I hope so.

And Whistle.. doing full depth squats was BRUTAL. You were absolutely right, I felt it in my hip flexors the most, but also it felt like I got even more quad involvement to get 'out of the hole'. I'm gonna keep doing them, focusing on form and depth and keep the weight light until those under-used muscles catch up strength-wise. I actually made sure to focus on keeping proper form on all of these; as I understand it, form is very important in this program.

Incline - 115
Barbell rows - 135
DB shoulder press - 50s
Lat pulldowns - 160
Squats - 185
Romanian DL - 185
EZ bar curls - 45
Skullcrushers - 55
DB shrugs - 80s
Machine calf raises - 365

I'll post 8RMs on Wednesday.

Good Luck. I would suggest also the 15, 10, 5, negs rep range. I am nearing the end of my first HST program, and I can say as long as you follow the principles that Brian gives us, then you will make massive gains!! Ive been weight training for a long time, but new to HST, and I have made more progress in 4 weeks of HST than I did in 6 months of old fashioned split training.

I will also say that the 15 rep stage is hard, but very important ans it prepares your ligaments for the heavier loads later on!

And Whistle.. doing full depth squats was BRUTAL. You were absolutely right, I felt it in my hip flexors the most, but also it felt like I got even more quad involvement to get 'out of the hole'. I'm gonna keep doing them, focusing on form and depth and keep the weight light until those under-used muscles catch up strength-wise. I actually made sure to focus on keeping proper form on all of these; as I understand it, form is very important in this program.

Yeah, I get a lot of guys in my gym who love to stack a bunch of heavy plates on the bar, then only "squat" two or three inches. Other guys try the same thing, only in the Smith machine; I sometimes wonder what they think they are doing...

In a power lifting meet, the judges won't give you a white light unless you break parallel. And those guys know squat!

I seem to get the best results when I go low.

Yeah, I get a lot of guys in my gym who love to stack a bunch of heavy plates on the bar, then only "squat" two or three inches. Other guys try the same thing, only in the Smith machine; I sometimes wonder what they think they are doing...

HAHA, I know them well! they usually give an over exagerated grunt too, to attract attention to the amount they are "lifting"

15s are pretty brutal. I hated them. I used to skip them a lot too however I would urge you to consider adding them in every few cycles just to give the joints a break and a chance to catch up to your muscles. Your routine looks good.

Did the 8RMs tonight, except for squats and Romanian DLs. The very tops of my quads and my hip flexors were still fairly sore from doing deep squats for the first time on Monday. I tried to warm up and stretch them out, did some body squats and bar squats keeping perfect form and they were just too sore to try to put any weight on, so I skipped those to avoid creating a problem where there currently isn't one. I'll go back and do the 8RMs for those on Friday before the 5RMs.

Anyway here's how it shaped up:

Incline: 150
Bent over rows: 165
DB shoulder press: 55s (I feel like I had at least 1-2 more reps in the tank on this, but I'm not sure if I could've gotten 60s 8 times, so it's sort of an in-between. I didn't think about this when I chose the DB version of the exercise)
Lat Pulldowns (wide grip): 160 again (my gym's pulldown machine doesn't have odd settings, like 170, 190, etc.. so I went for 180 but couldn't get 8 keeping good form. Should I back down my 12RM? Suggestions?)
EZ bar curls: 60
Skullcrushers: 60
Shrugs: 95s
Calf Raises: 405

Today felt much better than Monday for sure. Looking forward to the 5s on Friday.

5RM tonight:

Incline bench: 170
Bent over rows: 180
DB shoulder press: 60s (again, felt like I had 1-2 more in the tank on these, but couldn't have completed the 5 reps with good form with 65s)
Lat pulldowns: 180
Squats: 225
Romanian DL: 245
Barbell Curls: 65
Skull crushers: 65
Shrugs: 275 (Had to move over to the barbell for shrugs, dumbbells at my gym only go up to 100)
Calf raises: 455

Today felt good too. It's going to be hard to sit at home for a week now. Anybody play NCAA on XBL? ;)

Day 1

I wanted to start Monday but work got in the way, so I waited until today (Wednesday).

Incline 2x12@95
Bent Rows 2x12@110
DB shoulder press 2x12@35s
Lat Pulldowns 2x12@100
Squats 2x12@135
Romanian DL 1x12@135
EZ bar curls 1x12@25 (actually found out my gym's olympic curl bar weighs about 33 pounds, but for the sake of simplicity I'm going to keep assuming it's 25 throughout the program)
Skullcrushers 1x12@30 (same bar as above)
DB shrugs 1x12@60s
Calf raises 1x12@275

Everything went very smooth. The entire workout was relatively easy; on the last couple of reps for squats, incline, and bent rows I felt a little fatigue though.

I'm excited about the program.. can't wait to get back in the gym Friday.

EZ bar curls 1x12@25 (actually found out my gym's olympic curl bar weighs about 33 pounds, but for the sake of simplicity I'm going to keep assuming it's 25 throughout the program)
That sounds odd for an EZ Curl bar the only bar I know of that usually weighs 33 lbs actually 15 Kg is a women’s Olympic bar.

Anyway good amount of exercises you have there. Keep it going.

Yeah I thought it was weird too. I think it's a bit longer than a standard EZ curl bar; maybe 5'. I just assumed it was 25, but I put it on the scale (digital, and usually very accurate) and it was 33lbs. Strange number indeed.

Iron Grip makes a 5' "Power Grip" EZ curl bar that weighs 35lbs. It looks very much like the one at my gym, so maybe that's it.

Thanks for the encouragement

Workout 2 in the books.

Incline 2x12@100
Bent row 2x12@115
DB shoulder press 2x12@40s
Lat pulldown 1x12@100, 1x12@120 (no 110 setting)
Squats 2x12@145
skipped Romanian DLs, hamstrings were a little sore, didn't want to force anything this early on in the program
EZ curls 1x12@30
Skullcrushers 1x12@35
Shrugs 1x12@65s
Calf raises 1x12@315 (jumped the weight up a little, I had 295 on my sheet but it's so much easier to just add one more plate, so I did)

Today's session was actually easier than the last, even though the weights all went up a little. In and out in just under 50 minutes. The workout felt great overall, feels good to get back in the gym.

Back