Explosive Growth With HST

Workout 3:

Incline: 2x12@105 (super easy, I'm thinking the 12RM I got was significantly affected by my alcohol consumption the weekend before)
Rows: 2x12@120
DB shoulder press: 2x12@40s
Lat pulldowns: 2x12@120
Squats 2x12@155
Romanian DL: 1x12@155
EZ curls: 1x12@45
Skullcrushers: 1x12@45
Shrugs: 1x12@70s
Calf Raises: 1x12@335

I went through the routine quite a bit faster today and felt fatigued after I was finished. I completed the whole routine in about 42 minutes. I didn't really set out to go that fast, but it's just how it worked out. That's what I get for listening to Rise Against while lifting I guess.

While the workout as a whole was exhausting, none of the weights really felt heavy.

From a couple of days ago:

Workout 4

Incline 2x12@115 (Like I said, I felt like my original 12RM was low so I adjusted)
Bent over rows: 2x12@125
DB shoulder press: 1x12@45, 1x12@40
Lat Pulldowns: 2x12@120 (again)
Squats: 2x12@165
skipped Romanian DLs
EZ Curls: 1x10@50 (started getting heavy, I didn't want to push it to failure so I stopped at 10)
Skullcrushers: 1x12@50
Shrugs: 1x12@75s
Calf Raises: 1x12@345

Will report #5 later today.

Incline 2x12@120
Bent over rows: 2x12@130
DB shoulder press: 1x12@45, 1x11@45 (probably could have pushed the last rep out but again, I'm focusing on not going to failure)
Lat Pulldowns: 1x12@120, 1x10@140 (should have done the 140 first)
Squats: 2x12@175
Romanian DL: 1x12@160
EZ Curls: 1x12@50
Skullcrushers: 1x12@55
Shrugs: 1x12@80s
Calf Raises: 1x10+2@365

The last two workouts felt really good. It was the first time I started getting a solid pump on this routine so far. This was also the first day when some of the lifts started feeling heavy. It felt great overall, I'm looking forward to Monday.

Workout 6, final workout in 12 rep range:

Incline: 2x12@135
Bent over rows: 2x12@135
DB shoulder press: 1x11@50s (hard set), 1x12@45s (I think my shoulders were a little more fatigued because of the heavier incline presses)
Lat pulldowns: 1x12@140, 1x10+2@140
Squats: 2x12@185
Romanian DLs: 1x12@185
EZ curls: 1x12@55
Skulls: 1x12@60
Shrugs: 1x12@85s
Calf Raises: 1x12@385

I went above my original 12RMs for several exercises. I can't be sure if this was a result of being a bit weak when I first got my 12RMs, or a gain in strength over the past two weeks, but if I had to guess, I'd say that it is mostly me being weak on that first day.

I haven't been taking any creatine during this cycle; I don't feel that it's needed for a program like this.

I've been focusing on taking in about 3500 cals/day, with about 30% coming from protein, 40% from carbs, and 30% from fats, roughly (this works out to be about 275g of protein)

I know I haven't been drinking enough water over the past week or so. The first week I drank plenty, but now that I'm recapping the two weeks, I realize I've slacked off in that department. I'll get back on that tomorrow.

I'm looking forward to starting the 8s!

Edit: Also forgot to mention, I did take longer rest periods between sets today than in the previous days.

Last edited:
Sorry if I didn’t catch it earlier in your thread but how far down do you plan to go on the reps, 5s, 3s . . . .

After 8s, I planned to do 5s, and then I'm open to suggestions.

It makes logical sense to me to find my new 5RMs, then progress to 3s after that for another two weeks. I usually train solo, so doing negs will likely be out of the question.

From a couple of days ago...

1st 8s day:

Incline: 2x8@115
Bent rows: 2x8@115
DB shoulder press: 2x8@35s
Lat Pulldowns: 1x8@120, 1x8@100 (no 110 setting)
Squats: 2x8@165
Rom DL: 1x8@145
Curls: 1x8@40
Skulls: 1x8@40
Shrugs: 1x8@75
Calf Raises: 1x10@145 (Somebody was camping out on the leg press so I just did standing calf raises with 145 on the bar)

Needless to say, this was a very light session. But that was completely fine by me, since I was still a little sore from the last day of 12s.

After 8s, I planned to do 5s, and then I'm open to suggestions.

It makes logical sense to me to find my new 5RMs, then progress to 3s after that for another two weeks. I usually train solo, so doing negs will likely be out of the question.

Last cycle, I did 15, 12, 9, 6, 3, 1 rep schemes. It was a little tougher for me than 15, 10, 5 because the cycle was longer and my RMs for those schemes were closer together, but my results were slightly better. It also made it perfect for using myo-reps since everything was divisible by 3 - I could do the initial set, rack the bar, wait 20 seconds, hit 3 more, rack the bar, wait 20 seconds, hit 3 more and so on until I had the equivilent of another set (until the 1s, obviously).

8s workout #2

Incline: 2x8@125
Bent rows: 2x8@125
DB shoulder press: 2x8@40s
Lat Pulldowns: 2x8@120
Squat: 2x8@185
Romanian DL: 1x8@155
EZ Curl: 1x8@45
Skulls: 1x8@45
Shrugs: 1x8@80s
Calf Raises: 1x8@155 (Same as last session, someone was on leg press so I did standing calf raises with 155 on the bar)

Today's session felt great again. I really like being able to vary the rhythm and tempo of each session during this cycle. On the lighter days, I am resting less between sets but I'm focusing on keeping constant tension on the target muscles and doing my reps slower than normal, squeezing the muscle hard during the concentric portion of the lift, and keeping perfect form. When the weight starts getting heavier, I'll have to rest more to avoid fatigue/failure, but adjusting these variables makes these light sessions feel like I'm getting something done at least.

From yesterday --

8s workout #3 (#9 overall)

Incline: 2x8@135
Bent Rows: 2x8@135
DB shoulder press: 2x8@45s
Lat Pulldowns: 2x8@140
Squats: 2x8@205
Romanian DL: 1x8@165
EZ Curl: 1x8@50
Skulls: 1x8@50
Shrugs: 1x8@85
Calf Raises: 1x8@365

The last couple of reps on all the major lifts started feeling a little heavy, so I'm getting to that point where I will need to rest a little longer between sets.

8s Workout #4

Incline: 1x8@140, 1x7+1@140
Bent over rows: 2x8@140
DB Shoulder press: 2x8@45s
Lat Pulldows: 2x8@140
Squats: 1x8@225, 1x6+2@225 (I may have pushed to this weight a little too early, this was originally my 8RM, but I felt like my hip flexors and upper quads were catching up quickly and I wanted to get some weight on the bar. We'll see how it plays out.)
Romanian DL: 1x8@175
EZ Curl: 1x8@55
Skulls: 1x8@55
Shrugs: 1x8@90s
Calf raises: 1x8@385

Squats: 1x8@225, 1x6+2@225 (I may have pushed to this weight a little too early, this was originally my 8RM, but I felt like my hip flexors and upper quads were catching up quickly and I wanted to get some weight on the bar. We'll see how it plays out.)
Romanian DL: 1x8@175
A little extra weight on the bar isn't going to hurt, but there's no hurry. The iron is very patient.

Your RDLs willl be a help.

8s workout #5

Incline: 2x8@145
bent rows: 2x8@155
DB shoulder press: 1x8@50s, 1x6+2@50s
lat pulldowns: 1x8@160, 1x8@140
squats: 2x8@225
romanian DL: 1x8@185
EZ curls: 1x8@60
skulls: 1x8@60
Shrugs: 1x8@95s
calf raises: 1x7+1@380

I totally understand what you're saying Tunnel, about the iron being patient. I just keep finding myself wanting to feel the weight on the bar. It's not ego related at all; it's just that while I've been doing this HST cycle, I haven't had the chance to put anything heavy on the bar yet. And 225 isn't "heavy" by any means, but it is heavier than what I've been doing. I know this feeling of wanting to stack weight on is psychological, and I'm trying to remain patient and stick to the program.

Speaking of the program, my next session will be the halfway point; the end of the 8s. I can't say that I'm noticing any difference in muscle size or volume except possibly a little more tricep definition. Hopefully the gains will come. I weighed 194 today before I ate, so it looks like I might have gained a pound or so over the past 4-5 weeks. Not a very good growth rate.

I may need to raise my daily caloric intake, but I don't wanna get fat before summer... tough decisions. *sigh*

Speaking of the program, my next session will be the halfway point; the end of the 8s. I can't say that I'm noticing any difference in muscle size or volume except possibly a little more tricep definition. Hopefully the gains will come. I weighed 194 today before I ate, so it looks like I might have gained a pound or so over the past 4-5 weeks. Not a very good growth rate.
I remember from years ago, watching the werewolf movies where the guy would change in appearance dramatically over a few seconds. In the movies the pills they swallow take effect immediately, but the treatment my doctor gives me takes weeks and months to show results.

Weight training is a life-long process. It would be nice if we could change our appearance from PeeWee Herman to Ahnold in a month or so, but it's not going to happen. On the other hand, when we commit ourselves to a life style of discipline and hard work with the iron, amazing changes can take place over time.

The HST program will give you far and away the most bang for your buck, but that bang comes over a period of months and years, not day and weeks. There will be gains in strength and size every cycle. Even so, you'll need to string a few cycles together before you meet most of your long term goals.

Thanks Tunnel.

I fully realize it takes time. I was just expecting a little more growth at this point based on what I've read about HST, and other people's first cycles. I'm not stopping by any means, just thinking I may need to make some diet adjustments. I would prefer to be gaining about a pound per week or so.

If you’re not gaining a pound a week then you are simply not eating enough. I’ve gained 26 lbs in 26 weeks by eating 500 Kcal over maintenance/day.

Also how much you gain is going to be relative to how conditioned you already were. I hadn’t lifted in 15 years so my early lean body mass gains will be very easy compared to someone who’s been lifting recently.

If you’re not gaining a pound a week then you are simply not eating enough. I’ve gained 26 lbs in 26 weeks by eating 500 Kcal over maintenance/day.

Also how much you gain is going to be relative to how conditioned you already were. I hadn’t lifted in 15 years so my early lean body mass gains will be very easy compared to someone who’s been lifting recently.

Yea I'm thinking it's diet related. Looking back over my diet logs it looks like I've been getting around 3100 cals/day and I need to be around 3500/day. I'll keep a closer watch on this over the next month and make sure I'm hitting 3500. I also seem to be low in the fats category on average, so that's probably where my caloric deficiency lies. Protein intake has been pretty consistent, around 270-280 grams per day.

Last day of the 8s:

Incline: 1x8@155, 1x7+1@155 (more than original 8RM)
Bent Over Rows: 1x8@165, 1x7+1@165
DB Shoulder press: 2x8@55s
Lat Pulldowns: 2x8@160
Squats: 2x8@245 (more than original 8RM)
Rom DL: 1x9@215
EZ Curls: 1x8@65 (more than original 8RM)
Skullies: 1x9@65 (more than original 8RM)
Shrugs: 1x10@100s (more than original 8RM)
Calf Raises: 1x9@405

Bring on the 5s!!

For the 5s cycle, I'm going to be doing 3 sets instead of two for the sake of trying to keep the overall volume consistent. If anyone has any other ideas or suggestions, I'm all ears.

Definitely go for 3 sets for those exercises where you have done 2 sets of 8 before, esp. for the first week of 5s. If you find yourself getting fried as the 5s progress and the loads increase, drop down to 2 sets. You should be fine though. Whilst you should be able to get all 5 reps for your first sets (and, likely, all sets for the first week of 5s), there's no real need to strain to get all 5 reps for subsequent sets; better to keep your form good and to cluster reps. The loads should be high enough now to stimulate all muscle fibres form the first rep. It'll save your CNS a bit.

Unless you are very lucky, doing one set of calf raises is unlikely to do very much; generally speaking, calf muscles are extremely well conditioned to hard work. You'll need to keep the loads high and do lots of sets to get them to grow much. A good way to get in more work for them is to superset calves with other work. Eg. Do a set of calf raises and then a set of pull downs then go back to the calf raise m/c—rinse and repeat. Just don't hit your calves hard before doing any exercises that need them to work as stabilisers; not being able to keep your balance during squats is unlikely to be a good thing! You might get away with alternating them with shrugs.

Thanks for the notes Lol, good information.

About the calves - would you recommend continuing with 2 sets of 5s or should I add more sets and/or higher reps? I've always read and heard that calves respond better to higher reps, but since this is my first HST cycle I was trying to stick to the program.

I'm very familiar with super-setting so if I need to squeeze in a couple more sets, it shouldn't be a problem.

Thanks again

Back