Firefighter Challenge

Elle

I have a client, male, 44, 5’8”, 186#. He’s a firefighter/EMT. We’re currently doing HST (just starting the 5’s). He's got about 2 years of weight training behind him.

On June 25th he would like to compete in the state firefighter combat challenge. I plan to start his training about 8 weeks out which should be right after he finishes this HST cycle.

I have some ideas of some drills and training tactics, but would welcome any and all ideas on how to best train for the challenge. I get the trophy if he wins.
tounge.gif

Here’s what I know about it so far. I believe full gear is about 50 pounds.

Wearing "full bunker gear" and the SCOTT Air+Pak breathing apparatus, pairs of competitors simulate the physical demands of real-life firefighting by performing a linked series of five tasks including climbing the 5 story tower, hoisting, chopping, dragging hoses and rescuing a life sized, 175 lb. "victim" as they race against themselves, their opponent and the clock.

Sounds like you need an endurance type of workout. Do a search for some of the SEAL or Ranger workouts. Sounds like similar strength and endurance skills will be necessary.

Yeah id go with that, or a HST routine backwards coz the 15s are a lot of endurance.

If your doing a normal HST routine your last two weeks are gona be heavy and low reps, which is probably the worst type of training just before a competition like that.

Best of luck

wow.gif
3-->
[b said:
Quote[/b] (ian @ April 07 2005,4
wow.gif
3)]Yeah id go with that, or a HST routine backwards coz the 15s are a lot of endurance.
If your doing a normal HST routine your last two weeks are gona be heavy and low reps, which is probably the worst type of training just before a competition like that.
Best of luck
yeah, I understand that.  However, we were already knee deep into the HST thing when he came up with the idea of doing the challenge.  I feel it is mentally important for him to remain focused on and finish this round.  That leaves him with about 9 weeks (brief time off) pre-contest.
I discussed this with Bryan while at the Arnold and he felt I was on target (Bryan, care to chime in??)  
worship.gif

I realize this isn't the ideal situation, I'm just trying to make the best of it and get him to the best possible condition given the circumstances and actually, I'm fairly comfortable the the 8 week timeframe.
So.... with that in mind, back to my original question...  Any exercise drills, activities, etc. ideas :confused:
blush.gif
  I plan to have workout days dedicated to specific areas ~ ie;  endurance, strength, cardio, power, and event specific . He'll be running stairs at a place which has 178 stairs to the top of the observation tower. btw ~ how many stairs are in a flight?. I'm speculating that the hoisting event could be his greatest challenge only because of his shorter stature. Any training ideas for that portion?

Back