Fish Oil

mlingle

Just curious about what everyones experience is.  I tried using Twinlabs' gelcaps, and they give me rank fish burps.  I don't have the same prob with Flax Oil, and can chug that off a spoon.

The fishy burps will stop if you use it consistantly for 1-2 weeks. Not sure why exactly.

I would recommend everyone use fish oil supplements regardless of their goals. It helps alter body composition (long story) and improves several markers of health... It's a no brainer.
butbut.gif

Staying on topic, I had been using vitamin shop brand, but found a great deal at BJ's wholesale (like SAMs club).  They were $7.50 for 300 at 360epa and 240dha for 2 gelcaps.  I have noticed that the burps are worse with this brand.  Does anyone know if there is a big difference in brands as far as purity and effectiveness goes?  

Also, I realize that I'm taking 2 instead of one, but the taste is different, more fishy I guess.  Anyone else experience this type of thing?

Steve

So long as the fish oil you are using is molecularly distilled to remove PCB's and other chemicals, you're cool.

Best deal I've found is the NOW brand. Previously I was using ZonePerfect caps as they were the only ones I knew that were processed using molecular distillation. Recently, though, I was a local health store and found them selling 'buy one, get one free' double packs of Now brand--which it turns out are also molecularly distilled--for $9 or so. That's 240 capsules. I started taking 20 caps a day cuz it is so cheap.

I use Sears Labs pharmaceutical-grade since the PCB's and mercury are lower than the healthfood-grade fish oils. 1 teaspoon (or 4 capsules)  has 1800mg EPA and 900mg DHA.

Keep capsules in the fridge and keep liquid form in the freezer to prevent/slow oxidation of the oil. Only buy fish oil, capsules or liquid, in GLASS containers (plastic, and gel caps, are permeable to air).

Bite the first capsule in a new bottle and a capsule every now and then. Fish oil should taste fishy - if it's rancid you'll know it and throw the bottle out!

Yeah, and the fish burps do go away in about a week or two.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Steve McDermott @ July 16 2002,8:26)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">...I have noticed that the burps are worse with this brand.  Does anyone know if there is a big difference in brands as far as purity and effectiveness goes?  

Also, I realize that I'm taking 2 instead of one, but the taste is different, more fishy I guess.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
the better oils are more refined. Thus they have less toxins like PCB and mercury and they have less non-digestable fats so less gastric distress and milder taste. They have higher concentration of EPA and DHA. And, of course, they do cost more. Do NOT buy just based on price.

I've also read that a couple of studies were done where they pulled fish capsules from store shelves and tested them for rancidity. 50% of all bottles tested had at least some rancid capsule. While good fish oil is great for you, rancid fish oil is basically poison

Yeah, I should have known better than to buy based on price.  Oh well, I only wasted 7 bucks, so it's no big deal.  I can still use them until I get my hands on some higher quality brand.

thanks for the info,

Maybe there will be some HSN Omega3s soon   ;)

Steve

Steve, it's $70 for a 53 serving bottle (1 teaspoon per serving) of the liquid form. Capsules are a little more. I order it from www.searslabs.com. The price doesn't look quite so bad if you break it down by cost per gram of EFA's and compare to others, but still costs more than healthfood-grade.

If that's just too much (which it will be for some people) at the very least make sure the fish oil you take is molecular distilled like B&amp;I said.

There's a great fish oil supp I use, it's called Dale Alexanders Emulsified fish oil concentrate. About 950 EPA, 675 DHA per serving, 24 servings per container...and it tastes good (not kidding). Sorry if this seems like an ad for the stuff, but I like it a lot. You've got to scoop it out by the tablespoon, it's not in gelcaps.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Steve McDermott @ July 17 2002,11:14)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Maybe there will be some HSN Omega3s soon   ;)[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
They're in the works actually. My concern was finding a source that was pure from heavy metals and other pollutants, as well as a higher than normal concentrations of EPA/DHA...

I've been reading the thread on fish oil and I've decided to buy some. It looks like SearsLab and NOW are the two brands of choice. The NOW brand appears to be much less expensive than the SearsLab brand. Based on 6 caps per day of NOW vs. 4 caps per day of SearsLab, the NOW price is around $0.20 per day vs. $1.40 for SearsLab.

The NOW brand delivers 1080/EPA and 720/DHA in 6 caps, while SearsLab delivers 1600/EPA and 800/DHA in 4 caps.

Sears claims that NOW is not pharmaceutical grade (whatever that means), but I understand that NOW is molecularly distilled.

My question is simple: is Sears worth the extra money and is the difference in the EPA/DHA dosages delivered by the two products significant?

Thanks.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (jacobp @ July 18 2002,2:17)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">My question is simple:  is Sears worth the extra money and is the difference in the EPA/DHA dosages delivered by the two products significant?[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
the main issue is level of contaminants. How much is in a given brand and how much are you willing to consume? Sears claims less than 10 parts per billion of PCB in theirs. What does NOW claim? I'm more paranoid about it because my six year old also takes it. If there is a cheaper brand that is as 'pure' then I definitely want to know about it. Like B&amp;I said, just make sure yours is at least molecularly distilled.

As for the dosage between the two, it's not significant in the sense that you can take more or less of either as you wish :)

the ratio of EPA to DHA is important. As I understand it, the body can readily convert DHA to EPA if needed, however converting EPA to DHA is much more difficult. One recommendation was to look for a ratio of around 2:1 of EPA to DHA. NOW looks like it has a very good ratio

As I kind of alluded to in the other thread you can cut down your consumption of n3 by cutting out all the crap oils in your diet (vegetable blends, solid oils, just about anything of a supermarket shelf except Extra virgin olive oil) and lower insulin levels.

Then the body does'nt need so much too repair the damage!

Udo's Oil is a great product, that much is sure.

I don't believe it has the EPA / DHA ratio of the fish oil stuff though. It is primarily a flax oil product, though it is an oil blend.

Nonetheless, I have used it with good results in overall well being in the past. It is highly recommended by a good number of health and exercise consultants as well. Don Lemmon was the person who initially recommended this product to me. www.donlemmon.com

Back