flax

boggy

i use 2 small tbs cod liver oil (about 20g) daily but health-wise I would like to cycle them with flaxseed oil.I know ALA conversion is not very efficient but how much flax oil should I take (in g.) to hope I can have the same effects of my current cod liver assumption?

I will stop caffeine (including coffe)for that period.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (boggy @ Dec. 09 2003,8:37)]i use 2 small tbs cod liver oil (about 20g) daily but health-wise I would like to cycle them with flaxseed oil.I know ALA conversion is not very efficient but how much flax oil should I take (in g.) to hope I can have the same effects of my current cod liver assumption?
I will stop caffeine (including coffe)for that period.
1. Why stop the cod liver oil? 20g a day is definitely on the too high side in most circumstances.

2. The conversion rate is terrible. I think studies have shown anywhere in the 7-20x range in the ALA-DHA conversion rate and this is still debatable. Theoretically that is a lot of flax so then you run into calorie control issues and who would want to down that much flax, egghhh.
wow.gif

I get cod liver oil in a pharmacy bottled in glass but considering his cost i'm pretty sure it's not purifyed or anything so i'm worryed about long term continuative usage (mercury heavy metals vit A D etc).I take in 20g/day bcause if i have understood well it's nearly the minimum to have some nutrient repartitioning effect.

Purifyed or molecular distilled fish oil is available only in caps and it is totally out of my reach (really expensive at 10-20g dosage) so i was wondering if I could use flax for a while but at that dosage i doubt.

As a side note since yesterday my liver hurts and I have digesting problems,I'm a bit scary about liver intoxication given my BBer lifestyle.Could cod liver oil be the culprit?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (boggy @ Dec. 09 2003,2:06)]Purifyed or molecular distilled fish oil is available only in caps and it is totally out of my reach (really expensive at 10-20g dosage) so i was wondering if I could use flax for a while but at that dosage i doubt.
Please keep in mind that you do not want to use fish oil sold in gel caps in 20 gram dosages. I wouldn't go any higher than 6 grams per day.

ALA -> DHA is extremely low (not measurable) unless you consume NO DHA at all, even then it is very small.
ALA -> EPA is measureable but small.

20g of fish oils? why take that much? most research in terms of BMR changes etc used 6g at the most, some potentially 9g (but showed no real advantage over 6)

I was talking about oil grams not omega3 grams, so 20g cod liver oil should be around 3,4 g of DHA+EPA.If this is the case to get 6g of O3 one should take more than 30g cod oil.
Am I wrong?

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]ALA -> DHA is extremely low (not measurable) unless you consume NO DHA at all, even then it is very small.
ALA -> EPA is measureable but small.

So where's the dial taking flaxseed oil?
Why a lot of bbers use it?

I use some flax meal instead of the oil, figuring it at least has other redeeming qualities (protein, fiber). But I have the same basic question: Is there any value (probable or proven) to ALA (short-chain omega-3) aside from conversion to EPA/DHA (long-chain omega-3)?

Bryan -

Why did you recommend not consuming more than 6 caps of commercial fish oil per day. I have in the past taken as many as 12. Just wondering about the rationale. I assumed that up to 20 (6 gr. of EPA / DHA) would be ok.

Proteus

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Is there any value (probable or proven) to ALA (short-chain omega-3) aside from conversion to EPA/DHA (long-chain omega-3)?
yes and no
there is some health effects of the 18carbon n-3 and n-6 fats, but they are not as defined as their longer chain derivatives (sp?). But hte 18cones are the essential ones.

Back