Fruit Juices

mikey_270

Are fruit juices such as cranberry, or orange juice etc. generally good, or should they be avoided or limited?

Thanks,

Mikey

I don't know how to answer this question. I hate to say no to any fruits, but for the most part, alot of fruit juices commericialy made are high in sugar and low on the real fruit nutrition. I don't personally drink any, and prefer to stick to fresh fruits.

There might be some good juices out there though. Simply Orange might be good, i'm not sure though.

As just mentioned, the problem with juices is their high concentration of sugar. They will make you fat just as easily as soda. Obvioulsy, not all juices contain the same amount of sugar, so read the labels before you buy and make sure it fits into your current diet.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Bryan Haycock @ June 22 2004,9:30)]As just mentioned, the problem with juices is their high concentration of sugar. They will make you fat just as easily as soda. Obvioulsy, not all juices contain the same amount of sugar, so read the labels before you buy and make sure it fits into your current diet.
Okay, I know this is probalby a newb question, but exactly how does the sugar make you fat? If the calories all fit in I don't see how it could matter...

If I have a box drink of 100% cran/raspberry juice it has 26g of carbs - 22 are sugar... Should this be avoided? Couldn't it be used as pre/WO carbs?

the point made was that fruit juices will make you fat just as easily as sodas.
the problem is that juices contain all the sugar from fruits but without the fiber (and some of the beneficial phytochemicals are also lost). in fact, many juice products are concentrated (essentially dehydrated and only partially rehydrated), so they are actually more calorie dense than fresh-squeezed juice.

so, if you count all your calories and the total you consume is constant as per plan, juice won't make you any more or less fat, but neither will soda.

so why don't i drink juice?
1) i get less nutritional value from it for the same calories as, say, a piece whole fruit and a glass of water.
2) the other issue, especially for the masses that aren't explicitly counting calories, is that the calories consumed in liquids do not effectively trigger satiety the same as solid foods. therefore there is a tendency to consume higher total calories. (not surprisingly, semi-solid foods (i.e. soup) trigger satiety better than liquid calories and less than solid foods.)

-bug

Thank you all for your helpful input.

Fruit has always been a problem with me. I simply don't like it - at all! So I was thinking that I could drink a few glasses of different fruit juices every day to compensate my lacking appetite.

I use the fruit juice to raise the ratio of calories/carb to protein. I was trying to get my calories at ~3000 and my protein at 20% of that (600g). I got the amount of protein I needed, but I was lacking in carbs and overall calories. The fruit juices are high in both so I use them to boost my carbs and calories to my desired number.

So given that, is it okay for me to drink 3 or 4 glasses a day, as long as they are being used to reach my target amount of calories?

Thanks again!

Mikey

aside from the warnings already stated (and high glycemic index), no, i don't really see anything wrong with using juice when attempting to boost calories as carbs. juice is not inherently bad, and there are certainly worse sources of calories than juice.

-bug

btw, 600g of protein is 2400 kcals, which is a bit more than 20% of 3000 kcals. typo? for hypertophy, Bryan recommends "0.8-1 gram protein per pound bodyweight. Most people usually shoot for 1 gram/pound body weight because it's an easy rule to remember." read the article, eating for size, for details.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Techo @ June 22 2004,3:14)]Okay, I know this is probalby a newb question, but exactly how does the sugar make you fat? If the calories all fit in I don't see how it could matter...
"...if the calories fit in... Sugar won't make you fat if in fact "the calories all fit in". The problem is that because of the caloric density of juices and sodas, you end up eating more calories without even noticing it until you start getting fat.

wow.gif
9-->
[b said:
Quote[/b] (bugpowder @ June 22 2004,7
wow.gif
9)]btw, 600g of protein is 2400 kcals. typo?
LOL!! Yes, that was a goof. 600g of protein... that's a whole cow isn't it?
laugh.gif

My current diet gives me 178g of protein (I weigh 165 lbs.), 440g carbs, & 63g fat. Does that sound okay for a bulking diet?

Back