Genetic Potential

<div>
(lcars @ Feb. 21 2008,14:09)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">on topic, ive always blamed my weight gain problems on crappy genetics, but it in the end it was mainly my diet that held me back.</div>
An improper diet seems to be the biggest mistake people make when lifting. If I knew what I know now years ago, I would be much bigger...So much wasted time.

My mistake was not eating enough total calories. For some reason I never put two and two together that I would need to eat more in order to put on more muscle, I always associated it with fat gain. I thought if I had enough protein the muscle gain would come with it.

LCars, what mistakes did you make and what did you do to fix it?

my main problem was not getting enough callories(mainly protein) durin my working day due to time issues and as my job is very physical this made things worse.

i finally decided to eat breakfast at home and then go to work and eat somemore
biggrin.gif

plus taking protein shakes with me helped.

put it this way ive been doing light duties(driving) since the begining of feb and i put 7lbs on in 2 weeks without altering anything.this tells me that my job uses too many callories and i need a new one lol.

i havent fixed it fully yet, my diet needs a few more tweaks.my freind eats 400g protein a day (hes smaller than i) im only managing around 300g, i need to improve on this.

better still i have changed gyms recently, the old one was a dungeon with only the most basic weights in it(these are enough some might say), the new gym is a &quot;proper&quot; bodybuilding gym with every kind of weight, machine and space one could possibliy need.

its made a real difference to my training and also my lbm has increased as a result of having to adjust to all the new exercises. but this could be the start of another thread.

i hate to think of all the hard training ive put in, in the past with an inadquate diet
sad.gif

<div>
(Lol @ Nov. 02 2005,08:12)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I'm about to start my first cycle of HST after taking a week to find my 15, 10 &amp; 5 RMs and now twiddling my thumbs, so to speak, for 9 days of SD.

Been reading Bryan's FAQ's over and over. At last some of the more scientific stuff is starting to stick! On the section about AAS and Prohormones Blade says:

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">The notion that knowledge and lifting technique can “replace” androgen use and produce comparable gains in muscle mass is false. Once a person has maxed out his body’s ability to support more muscle tissue, he will not grow any larger until his hormones increase as well. Using androgens before your LBM is naturally maxed out will only get you their faster. Not only that, but a natural lifters physique will almost always show different proportions than an individual using androgens, even if their overall body mass is the same.</div>

So what I'd like to know is: How much in the way of gains can a natural bodybuilder expect to make assuming that he does everything correctly according to HST &amp; HSN guidelines?

I realise that everyone has their own genetic potential. For example, my misses has bigger calf muscles than me (inherited from her pop). She obviously has more muscle tissue there to begin with than I do, even though I'm carrying around 13 stone and she's about 10 stone. For me to even reach her 'normal' size will require lots of growth
sad.gif

Let's say I have average potential. I'm 5'10&quot;, 32&quot; waist, weigh 182lbs and I don't carry much fat (my six pack is a bit blurry though!)). For example, lets take arms: I currently have a 15&quot; flexed upper arm. Am I likely to ever be able to get a 16&quot; upper arm measurement (or larger
smile.gif
) from increased muscle mass?

I'm really hoping that others out there will have started like me and exceeded my goal!

Many thanks for any feedback.</div>
I didn't see where anybody gave you a link to this so here it is...
http://www.hypertrophy-specific.com/maximum-size-calculator.html

It seems to be fairly accurate. Remember, the girth predictions and weight assume about 8% body fat.

<div>
(Bryan Haycock @ Feb. 23 2008,00:02)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE"><div>
(Lol @ Nov. 02 2005,08:12)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I'm about to start my first cycle of HST after taking a week to find my 15, 10 &amp; 5 RMs and now twiddling my thumbs, so to speak, for 9 days of SD.

Been reading Bryan's FAQ's over and over. At last some of the more scientific stuff is starting to stick! On the section about AAS and Prohormones Blade says:

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">The notion that knowledge and lifting technique can “replace” androgen use and produce comparable gains in muscle mass is false. Once a person has maxed out his body’s ability to support more muscle tissue, he will not grow any larger until his hormones increase as well. Using androgens before your LBM is naturally maxed out will only get you their faster. Not only that, but a natural lifters physique will almost always show different proportions than an individual using androgens, even if their overall body mass is the same.</div>

So what I'd like to know is: How much in the way of gains can a natural bodybuilder expect to make assuming that he does everything correctly according to HST &amp; HSN guidelines?

I realise that everyone has their own genetic potential. For example, my misses has bigger calf muscles than me (inherited from her pop). She obviously has more muscle tissue there to begin with than I do, even though I'm carrying around 13 stone and she's about 10 stone. For me to even reach her 'normal' size will require lots of growth
sad.gif

Let's say I have average potential. I'm 5'10&quot;, 32&quot; waist, weigh 182lbs and I don't carry much fat (my six pack is a bit blurry though!)). For example, lets take arms: I currently have a 15&quot; flexed upper arm. Am I likely to ever be able to get a 16&quot; upper arm measurement (or larger
smile.gif
) from increased muscle mass?

I'm really hoping that others out there will have started like me and exceeded my goal!

Many thanks for any feedback.</div>
I didn't see where anybody gave you a link to this so here it is...
http://www.hypertrophy-specific.com/maximum-size-calculator.html

It seems to be fairly accurate. Remember, the girth predictions and weight assume about 8% body fat.</div>
Ha, ha! Thanks Bryan.
biggrin.gif

That's a post I made over two years ago now. Seems funny that I was hoping to eventually reach a 16&quot; arm measurement back then. Now I'm after 18&quot; (although that's not my focus anymore.)

Back