Getting lean without losing beef

beingisbeing

So based on these discussions, I decided to give what nkl called the 24/24 something or other, from here on in 24/24, a genuine go.

I started on monday, june 2nd.

Weight in morning: 179.6 lbs

Caloric intake: 3200 calories

Routine: HST (see below)

Tuesday June 03:

Weight in morning: 179.2 lbs
Caloric intake: ~1500

I screwed up. Got to about 800 calories clean, then went on a wild girl hunt. I'm in love, what can I say. I ended up filling the other 800 calories or so with delicious belgian beer and vodka haha. She IS worth it.

Routine: 60 mins moderate intensity incline treadmill
Average heart rate: 136

Weds June 04:

Weight in morning: 174 lbs (WTF?!)
Caloric Intake: 3500 calories

Routine: Incline Bench (DB) 3X8 (55 lb DB)
Weighted Dip 3X8 (5 lbs)

Chin 3X8 (body)
Bent/Yates Row 3X8 (80lbs)

Leg press 3x8 (200lbs)
Standing Calf 3x8 (235 lbs)

Barbell Curl 3x8 (20lbs) (I'm so weak
smile.gif
)
Rev Grip Bench 3X8 (70lbs)

Upr. Bbell Row 3x8 (40lbs)
DB Shoul. Press 3X8 (40 lb DB)

Crunch Machine 3X8 (160 lbs)

Just a note. I have knee issues, no squats or deads at the moment.

Notes: I feel strong as all h*ll compared to the past few weeks of UD2.0. I've simplified my alternate grip obsession as well, thanks to quad, bgates and others.

Loading creatine as well.

I feel like the goddamned Hulk compared to the past few weeks.

Lets see where this goes...

<div>
(beingisbeing @ Jun. 05 2008,2:52)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Weds June 04:

Weight in morning: 174 lbs (WTF?!)
Loading creatine as well.</div>
Good luck on your test, I'll be following this log. I am also planning on doing this 24/24 IF diet.
Alcohol is diuretic so you probably lost water.
You should try to measure body fat so you can determine (at least approximately) how much fat and muscle you are losing.
Remember creatine makes you retain a lot of water so your weight is likely to go up on the water.

Thanks man! Good luck on your experiment. Log it and I'll stop by for sure. I think the calorie levels/results are going to be really interesting.

Check on the booze!

Check on the creatine...however creatine loading/use has never really made me gain water weight in the past...lets see what happens.

Sometimes I suspect I'm one of those few that &quot;don't benefit from creatine supplementation&quot; though it always seems to make me feel/perform better and stronger (placebo?), despite the lack of weight gain from water.

As far as bodyfat goes, only methods I have readily available at the moment are BIA, which is completely and utterly useless and inconsistent.

I want to get calipers, but I have had a nightmare of producing consistent results with them in the past. Not sure I want to flare up my tendency to obsess about these things.

At the moment I'm relying on strength, the mirror, waist measurements, and hopefully a steady rate of weight loss to determine whether I'm losing the &quot;right way.&quot; I know all of these methods are notoriously imprecise, but I really don't know what else to do. Anyone have a good hydro static dunk tank at home and live in the New York area?
smile.gif

I really hope it goes well, this one, Being!
cool.gif

And best wishes to you too, Electric!
cool.gif

And remember, it is in the long run the results will show...

Thurs June 5th:

Weight: 178.6

Caloric Intake: 1372
201.7 gr Pr
45.7 gr Fa
27 gr Ca
(12 grams were from 6 fish oil capsules and 6 Tonalin CLA capsules)

Routine: Incline Treadmill 45 mins average HR 137

Still loading creatine

Friday June 6th:

Weight in morning: 175.8 lbs

Routine: Incline Bench (DB) 3X8 (60 lb DBs)
Weighted Dip 3X8 (10 lbs)

Weighted Chin 3X7ish (5 lbs)

Leg press 3x8 (230lbs)
Seated Calf 3x8 (115 lbs)

Barbell Curl 3x8 (20lbs)
Rev Grip Bench 3X7ish (70lbs)

DB Shoul. Press 3X8 (45 lb DB)

Crunch Machine 3X8 (160 lbs)

I realized I could almost rack the standing calf machine by the end of last cycle of 5s/negatives. I'm a little scared of spinal issues, so I switched to seated calf today.

I may do another week of 8s to let everything equilibrate with the diet and what not, before moving on to fives. Lets see.

Caloric Intake: 3300

Don't know why I'm getting overzealous with the calories on these days. Going to have to scale back to 3000 as initially planned. I think those wild fluctuations (water, I know) down to 174 and 175 scared me.

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Don't know why I'm getting overzealous with the calories on these days. Going to have to scale back to 3000 as initially planned. I think those wild fluctuations (water, I know) down to 174 and 175 scared me.</div>
Surely some water, but also what comes straight through. How are you feeling on this diet so far? Do you think it is hard at the end of a low calorie day, or do you have energy left from the previous day?

I'm tweaking this one cycle because of social obligations, but I have had a 3day/3day cycle (no workouts during the last three days either - only leisure biking in the sunny weather). I'm not fatigued at all. I have a week left before I must do my SD. I think during the SD it's best to eat maintenance, because the lack of workouts will not do well with the P-ratio (either bulking or cutting).

Sometimes it takes a few hours to adjust, but the low carb/cal days are really not that bad.

I start the day full of energy (and food) from the previous day. There is a bit of an energy dip after cardio (not surprisingly) but then a few hours later its almost like you feel your body shift gears and then you have energy again.

Here I am at under 1300 cal and I'm satisfied and full of energy at the end of the day. I even ripped through some HIIT today (which I won't be doing more than 1-2 X a week). Like I said, I can feel my body (perhaps this is purely mental) &quot;click&quot; into fasting mode and then I'm flying.

Psychologically as well, I find it easy to feast and then fast. I find the notion of eating at one caloric level all the time horribly boring.

The &quot;over eating&quot; stimulates the &quot;under eating&quot; and vice a versa. They make you appreciate each other! Maybe thats some occult psychopathology talking, but it feels more natural to me than &quot;normal&quot; eating.

One thing I will say, is that the less high GI carbs I eat on the &quot;feeding&quot; days, the less of a &quot;crash&quot; I feel when the fast kicks in. I'm starting to suspect I may have a touch of insulin resistance. I may shift my 'feed' calories to iso-caloric proportions instead of high carb and restrict my carbs to 2 feedings of 100 gr (post workout only, as it has been).

I agree about the SD. Probably not a good idea to try anything calorically creative whilst not pumping the iron!

Social obligations can suck, but I'm becoming quite adept at ordering a beer and wetting my lips with it until everyone around me becomes too drunk to notice I'm not drinking. Works every time!

Saturday June 6th:

Weight in morning: 177.8 lbs

Caloric intake: &lt; 1300 calories

Routine: HIIT (5 minute warm up, ~18 minutes of intervals, 5 minute cool down)

Still loading creatine. I may not do intervals tomorrow, being that its another low cal day. My quadriceps are on fire in a whole new way.

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I screwed up. Got to about 800 calories clean, then went on a wild girl hunt. I'm in love, what can I say. I ended up filling the other 800 calories or so with delicious belgian beer and vodka haha. She IS worth it.</div>

Don't worry about those extra calories when your in love. You'll burn them off like a racehorse just by being in love
cool.gif

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Social obligations can suck, but I'm becoming quite adept at ordering a beer and wetting my lips with it until everyone around me becomes too drunk to notice I'm not drinking. Works every time!</div>

High five on that! Im on macronutrient cycling diet. Low-carb cycled with carb-loads. Always a little itchy when going out for a beer or eating at somebody elses place.
But you get use to it and find your ways just like you did.

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Social obligations can suck, but I'm becoming quite adept at ordering a beer and wetting my lips with it until everyone around me becomes too drunk to notice I'm not drinking.</div> Especially if you're good at acting like a jackass.
wink.gif

Haha. I am very good at acting like a jack *** (hopefully you don't know this from my forum behavior quad).

Check on the being in love. Man it hurts.

Sunday June 8th:

Weight in morning: 175.6

Waist measurement: 32 inches. I'll post waist measurements daily now.

Caloric intake: 1600

Routine: None, the HIIT on saturday really wiped me out. Did some forearm work on Sat that I didn't mention as well.

Monday June 9th:

Weight in morning: 174 lbs

Waist measurement: &lt;31.5 inches

Caloric Intake: &gt;3500 calories

Weighted Dip 3X8 (15 lbs)

Weighted Chin 3X7ish (10 lbs)

Leg press 3x8 (250lbs)
Seated Calf 3x8 (125 lbs)

Barbell Curl 3x8 (30lbs) had to cluster a few of these

DB Shoul. Press 3X8 (45 lb DB) had to cluster a few of these

Crunch Machine 3X8 (165 lbs)

**** So I opted to extend another week of 8 reps. I came out of UD2.0 for two weeks, which was preceded in turn by two weeks of 15s. So this is a funky cycle.

My gym 'loses' its only pair of 2.5 lb plates about every other day, which is annoying in ways that I can't describe here. For a weaker guy like me, 10 lb increments aren't always feasible or desirable. So on barbell curls I increased too quick and couldn't make the 8. I'll hold on and pray for a little CNS strength/catchup.!By next week it'll be OK.

Last cycle: my 5 RM was 60 lb DBs for incline bench, now I'm banging out 8 no problem.

My 5 RM max was a 10 lb plate on dips, now I'm doing 15 lbs for 8 reps (I think i can do more for sure, actually).

My 5 RM for chins was bodyweight only. Today I did 8 reps with a 10 lb plates, with some fuel to spare. (A few months ago, I couldn't do a single un assisted chin).

I feel much stronger on this diet than on UD2.0, which I loved, but seemed to cost me ALOT of strength (I'm hoping this was mild over training and NOT muscle loss. UD2.0 is predicated on very high volume, though I wouldn't say this to Lyle lol)

I suspect tomorrows weigh in will be significant in determining what I do/maintain with the calorie levels. Looking at my waist measurements, my appearance in the mirror, and day after refeed weigh ins (tues, thurs, sat) it looks like things are going as planned.

Tuesday June 9th:

Weight in morning: 179 lbs

Waist: 31.5 inches

Caloric Intake: ~1000 calories

Routine: LISS Cardio: 45 mins, 5 min cool down, average HR: 138

Woke up feeling extremely bloated and &quot;full&quot;

A trip to the bathroom changed weight:

178.4 lbs

hahah. Thats too funny.

I want to bemoan the fact that I'm not more obviously losing scale weight. The problem is muscles look a little more defined and even bigger in certain areas. I'll have to wait and see whats actually going on. I suspect I may have set my calories into more of a recomp mode. Which is fine. What I hope to get out of this more than anything is personal experimental results, because trying to decide &quot;what works&quot; on paper is simply a bad joke at this point.

EDIT: Interesting, mid day now. My hydration level has increased on my scale by a few points, and yet I weigh less: 177.4 lbs. Maybe I was super bloated...

Midday usually characterized by a spike in weight, not a drop.

Its odd, no hunger pangs today at all. I ate a can of tuna, 1lb of chicken breast, and 1lb of green beans. Less, calorically, then my typical PSMF style day, and no hunger. Probably more veggies than usual. Or I'm still bloated from yesterday!

Wednesday June 11th

Weight in morning: 175.4 lbs

Waist measurement: &lt;31.5 inches

Caloric Intake: 3000 on the button

Weighted Dip 3X8 (20 lbs)

Weighted Chin 3X7ish (10 lbs)
Bent/Yates Row 3X8 (90lbs)

Leg press 3x8 (250lbs)
Seated Calf 3x8 (135 lbs)

Barbell Curl 3x8 (30lbs) had to cluster a few of these

DB Shoul. Press 3X8 (45 lb DB) had to cluster a few of these

Crunch Machine 2X8 (170) lbs

I felt like complete crap today. Lack of sleep contributed, no doubt. I had to cluster a few sets. Notably pathetic was barbell curls and shoulder presses. I'm getting elbow and wrist pain with the upright rows. I read that this exercise could get shifty. Might have to switch back to shrugs.

Thursday June 12th

Weight in morning: 177 lbs

Waist: &lt; 31.5 inches

Caloric Intake: &lt;1300 calories

Routine: Low-Moderate Intensity Cardio

Incline Treadmill Walk, a few bursts of jogging

Average HR: 145ish

I'm beefing up the cardio. Starting to get annoyed. Cross your fingers.

You seem to be running at maintenance. I would have thought this to have better results, but perhaps the caloric requirements change somehow? Hm.

Back