Grunt11's Training Log

its all psychological. if you want to get better/stronger at something, you just have to work at it and not be negative.

Today’s workout:

Close Grip Chin Ups BW(166 lbs) + 35 x 10 all M-Time
Parallel Grip Chin Ups BW(166 lbs) x 10
Close Grip Chin Ups BW(166 lbs) x 10

Supported DB Row 40 lbs x 10, 70 lbs x 12 +4 +4 +4

Reverse EZ-Bar Curls 15 x 10, 25 x 10, 40 x 15 +5 +5 +5

Incline DB Curls 27.5 lbs x 12 +2 +2 +2 +1

DB Preacher Curls 25 lbs x 8 +3 +2

Cable Pullovers 50 x 15 +5 +5 +5

Nothing special today.

Because the arm pain from using a mouse started moving to my right arm I ordered a vertical mouse off Amazon. It’s suppose to arrive today. I’m pretty sure it will take care of it once and for all.

I’m at the 6 month mark and decided to do some calculations. In 26 weeks my body weight has gone from 140 lbs to 166 lbs while my BF% skin fold measurement has gone from about 8% to about 12%. If my math is right that’s about a 17 lbs increase in lean body mass. Assuming some error in my BF% measurements since I know some of it is visceral I still think I’ve probably made pretty good LBM gains and am likely on target to gain at least 20 lbs in LBM this first year if I keep focus.

Oz said:
its all psychological. if you want to get better/stronger at something, you just have to work at it and not be negative.
The nice thing about just switching over from ultra running to lifting is that the psychological focus of an hour workout is a breeze compared to putting one foot in front of another after 20 hours of doing it already.

Lol said:
Maxing a single and then still managing 5 reps with a weight that isn't much lower (~6%) is no mean feat in itself. And you improved over last cycle! That's excellent.
Thanks, I hadn’t really considered that it was 94% of my 1RM or that the other 10 were about 85%.

Last edited:
well done mate. awesome work. you weigh the same as me but your BF% is way lower. looks l ike i got a lot of work to do!

Today’s workout:

Flat Bench 185 lbs x 1, 215 lbs x F, 195 lbs x 3 +F, 185 lbs x 3 +F M-Time

Dips BW (166 lbs) +5 x 10 M-Time

Incline DB Shoulder Press 35 lbs x 20 straight set

Leaning DB Lateral Raise 15 lbs x 12 straight set

DB Overhead Triceps Extensions 15 lbs x 15 straight set

Incline DB Flyes 20 lbs x 20 straight set

Today can be summed up as “Bad day at the Bench Press.” I was wary of pushing for another increase in my 1RM but did it anyway and failed. Dropped down to my working weight of 190 lbs and got 3 before failing again. Dropped another 10 lbs for 3 more before failing once again. Even though I wanted to drop down more and get at least 15 reps I figured that 3 fails for the day had fried my CNS more than enough so I stopped.

I also took the hint and backed off everything else today by both dropping the weights on the isolation exercises and skipping the Myo-reps. I hope that doing all this prevented me from hammering my CNS to much and I can come back on Monday stronger with the extra day off in between on Friday.

I’m not disappointed since I’ve already beaten my 1RM from last cycle but I’ll push at least once more to increase it before finishing this cycle.

Oz said:
well done mate. awesome work. you weigh the same as me but your BF% is way lower. looks l ike i got a lot of work to do!
Thanks Oz! I started out with an advantage over you by getting sick and loosing about 15 lbs about 7 months ago so my BF % was unusually low to start. Not a method I would recommend but I was able to take advantage of it.

Kinda looks like your CNS was fried before you did the bench sets, g11. Be careful here - this is the type of setup where the potential for injury skyrockets. Excellent work this cycle - it's no wonder that you're starting to show signs of fatigue now.

Today’s workout:

Dead Lift 295 lbs x 15 M-Time

Dips BW x 10 +3 +3 +3

Incline DB Curls 30 lbs x 7 +2 +2 +2 +2

Incline DB Flyes 25 lbs x 10 +5 +5 +5

DB Overhead Triceps Extensions 15 lbs x 20 +5 +5 +5

Leaning DB Lateral Raises 15 lbs x 12 +4 +4 +4

_tim said:
Kinda looks like your CNS was fried before you did the bench sets, g11. Be careful here - this is the type of setup where the potential for injury skyrockets. Excellent work this cycle - it's no wonder that you're starting to show signs of fatigue now.

Thanks for the reality Check. I do need to stay focused on hypertrophy and long term strength gains rather than short term gratification. So no more 1RMs until the end of the cycle as even when I make them I’m sure they are shortchanging my exercise with that weeks working weight.

I went ahead and incremented the Dead Lift to 295 lbs rather than redo 285 lbs from last week despite the failures and I’m glad I did as the session seemed quite easy. It’s also the first time I’ve Dead Lifted where I didn’t feel my lower back was hammered.

I readjusted my workout and went back to the mix I had before so that each body part is getting worked almost every day since my focus is really hypertrophy and not pure strength.

I switched the Dips from M-Time to Myo-reps primarily to shorten the workout but also to try and get more effect w/o having to use as much weight.

Today’s workout:

Close Grip Chin Ups BW(166 lbs) +40 x 10 (Partials) all M-Time
Parallel Grip Chin Ups BW(166 lbs) x 10
Close Grip Chin Ups BW(166 lbs) x 10

Leg Curls 80 lbs x 10 +4 +3

Leg Extensions 120 lbs x 16 +5 +4

Incline DB Shoulder Press 45 lbs x 12 +3 +2

DB Preacher Curls 25 lbs x 11 +3 +3 +3

BB Calf Raises 325 lbs x 20, x 20, x 20

I couldn’t get all the way up with the weighted Chin Ups so I did partials instead of dropping the weight down. I finished up with un-weighted to get full ROM work in. I haven’t tried any partials or negatives yet so it’s worth a try.

The 3 sets of BB Calf Raises were not done concecutively but between the Leg Extensions, Shoulder Press, Preacher Curls and at the end. In the last 2 weeks I think my calluses have grown more than my muscles.

I mentioned not feeling like I had done Dead Lifts after yesterday’s workout, however later in the day I sure did. Despite that I had fantastic energy today and got through my workout in record time w/o compromising anything and even adding in some extra sets. Wish I knew how to bottle this and sell it.

Today’s workout:

Flat Bench Press 200 lbs x 7 M-Time

Supported DB Row 75 lbs x 12 +4 +4 +4

BB Curls 45 lbs x 10, 60 lbs x 10, 70 lbs x 10 +2

Reverse EZ-Bar Curls 45 lbs x 10 +3

Cable Pullovers 55 lbs x 15 +4 +2

BB Shrugs 135 lbs x 20, 225 lbs x 20, 325 lbs x 10 x 10 x 10

Reverse Grip Incline BB Press 45 lbs x 20, 65 lbs x 10, 95 lbs x 10, 115 lbs x 10

Stopped after 7 reps on the Bench since based on #7, 8 was not going to go up. Still ok since 200 lbs was my 1RM last cycle. Plus I plan to experiment with some other chest exercises for next cycle so that will make up for the lost volume.

I dropped Overhead Shrugs so I could add back in BB Curls and see how they feel now that I’m using a vertical mouse. As I suspected absolutely no pain in my left arm. Slight pain in my right forearm which is what I was using the regular mouse with now for the last couple months. I’m using the vertical mouse with my left hand and no sign of the pain coming back. If everything follows the pain in my right arm will subside now that I’m not using the regular mouse with it either.

I spaced the Shrugs out between the last 3 exercises to get in the extra sets.

I’m experimenting with various exercises for next cycle to try and do something for my upper chest. Probably not much I can do since it’s just the way my chest is made, but I have to try. I’m guessing that some form of incline DB/Cable Flye or Press is going to work best but I wanted to give these Reverse Grip things a try. While doing them it felt mostly like they were hitting my Delts and Triceps but I’ll see where the pain is later. They also feel awkward, like something you could easily injure yourself with.

I’m experimenting with various exercises for next cycle to try and do something for my upper chest. Probably not much I can do since it’s just the way my chest is made, but I have to try. I’m guessing that some form of incline DB/Cable Flye or Press is going to work best but I wanted to give these Reverse Grip things a try. While doing them it felt mostly like they were hitting my Delts and Triceps but I’ll see where the pain is later. They also feel awkward, like something you could easily injure yourself with.

Yep, very awkward. It's hard to get into position. I've not done them inclined, but flat. I always had trouble racking and unracking. I need to get so far up that my head is pretty much off the end of the bench. It's much easier if you have a training partner. I definitely felt them in my upper chest. But I don't know if their any better than incline (regular grip) press.

Today’s workout:

Full Squat 250 lbs x 5 M-Time

Dips BW (166 lbs) +17.5 x 6 +2 +2 +2

Incline DB Curl 30 lbs x 9 +3 +2

Incline DB Flye 25 lbs x 15 +5 +5 +5

Overhead Triceps Extensions 17.5 lbs x 15 +5 +5 +5

Leaning Lateral Raises 15 lbs x 15 +5 +5 +5

Wide Stance Squats 135 lbs x 10

Olympic Squats 135 lbs x 10

Platform Dead Lifts 135 lbs x 10

SLDL 135 lbs x 10

Just don’t think I would have made #6 on the squats but 5 for my last cycles 1RM is ok with me. Plus in line with the Bench yesterday I’m trying out other exercises for next cycle so that gave me some more volume.

Don’t know for sure what happened on the dips but I think my CNS is getting fried and I need an SD.

I added in the extra Squats and Dead Lifts to get a feel for them should I want to add them to next cycle.

I’m pretty sure I’m going to make this the last week of this cycle and start an SD on Friday. Work has been hell for the last week and a half and I’m sure that’s contributed to my CNS fatigue. Also my tendons are starting to complain and I’m hoping that a week or so off will let my right arm fully recover from using the mouse. This time around I won’t be skipping the equivalent of the 15s both because I think my tendons and joints need it but also to give me time to dial in the new exercises I add.

I’ve enjoyed doing the isolation movements especially using Myo-reps but next cycle it’s going to be back to basic compound exercises. I will still use M-Time for my main lifts but all assistance work will be compound exercises with a focus on assistance work for the “Big Three.” I will probably try to still use Myo-reps on some of these but I know it’s not recommended for a lot of them.

I’ve enjoyed doing the isolation movements especially using Myo-reps but next cycle it’s going to be back to basic compound exercises. I will still use M-Time for my main lifts but all assistance work will be compound exercises with a focus on assistance work for the “Big Three.” I will probably try to still use Myo-reps on some of these but I know it’s not recommended for a lot of them.

Great work, this cycle, Grunt - you definitely deserve SD!

Curious - which exercises are not recommended for myo-reps? Squats and deads? Others?

Great work, this cycle, Grunt - you definitely deserve SD!

Curious - which exercises are not recommended for myo-reps? Squats and deads? Others?

Squats seems to be the big one, but basically anything that you might get hurt from failing a rep ungracefully (is there a graceful way?) because you are always trying to get within 1-2 reps of failure on the activation set and each cluster.

They don’t say you can’t do them and some people do but just have to be very careful.

Pretty much threw in the towel on today’s workout. I started with Chin Ups and realized I’m just plain burned out. So I ended up just doing some BW Chin Ups and then experimented with BB and DB Shoulder presses and Upright Rows for use in next cycle. So unless I get some sort of bug up my butt tomorrow I’m starting my SD and will make every effort to make it last until two Monday’s from now for a total of 11 days.

For next cycle I only plan to work out 4 days a week Monday-Thursday. I know that splitting the week with Wednesday off might be more ideal but I prefer to w/o M-TH because it better fits my lifestyle especialy de-stressing prior to going to work.

Here’s the workout I plan to use for next cycle:

Mon - Sumo Dead Lifts, Wide Squats, Olympic Squats, BB Curls

Tue - Incline BB Bench, Supported DB Row, BB or DB Upright Row, BB Calf Raises

Wed - Close Grip Chin Ups, Dips, Incline DB Shoulder Press, BB Shrugs

Thu - Full Squats, Platform Dead Lifts, SLDL, Close Grip Bench Press (pos. incline)

During the 15s weight range I plan to experiment with both BB and DB of some exercises to see how my arms and shoulders feel. I may end up including both versions or only one depending on how things go. The Dead Lift and Squat assistance exercises will be without any gear (I only use a belt anyway).

If I really feel that my Wednesday workout is suffering because of Tuesday I may switch to a Sun-Mon, Wed-Thu split taking Tuesday off. Might also be a good idea since I do like not having to go to work on a heavy Dead lift day. Another advantage is it may give me a day I can go jogging w/o compromising my Dead Lift or Squat days.

Although I’d like my SD to be perfect I really need to do some running so I will probably do some easy jogging for the next week.

Last edited:
I've entered a 5K race the past few years that takes place the first weekend in October. I think this will be my last year, so I want to hit a lifetime PB - go out with a bang.

I'm going to be finishing my current training class in early June and want to start easing into 5k race training after that. I think last year I waited too late in the year to start running as my primary training and overtrained.

So, I was thinking I might start running twice a week, 2 - 4 miles a week as early as June and slowly ramp up my mileage between June and October - giving me 3+ months to get my body acclimated.

Any advice/insights about how I should approach it?

I wish I could give you some sort of great advice for 5K training but that distance was never my cup of tea. I suggest checking the internet for a training plan, I’m sure there are oodles out there. Find one that suits your time and experience level.

You’re right to ease into it but any good plan will have you running 3-4 times a week likely depending on whether you consider yourself a beginner (since your just restarting) or intermediate. A good plan will have you doing a variety of runs like Long (about 2x5K distance), Fast runs, Intervals, cadence or tempo runs and hill runs if you’re really serious.

A good pair of light weight running shoes like racing flats will shave a couple % off your time come race day but I wouldn’t train in them regularly, just enough to get your feet use to them.

I never liked anything less than 10K usually more since anything shorter and it’s too hard to get a runners high off it. Also getting good at short and medium distance races requires speed work like interval training which is a great what to get injured.

Easy jogging wasn't quite as easy as I had hoped yesterday. Went out for about 2.5 miles in the morning and my legs felt very heavy and tight. Was also really sucking wind. Later at work I went jogging for another 2.5 miles and felt much looser and a little less winded until I did a short up hill which kicked my butt. Taking the day completely off today and probably the whole weekend unless I can get out to jog at work.

Freaked out my doctors office today when they weighed me. Up from 144 lbs to 166 since the last time they weighed me back in late November. Since I wear baggy cloths they had no idea I had gained that much weight since I was sick in October. The Doctor was concerned about my putting on that much weight this fast so he ordered up a bunch of blood-work which coincides with my annual physical anyway. I asked him to check my testosterone level just to be sure I’m not shortchanging all my hard work with lower than normal testosterone.

Two days of SD and I already want to start lifting again. Must resist . . . .

I found a way to make SD more livable at least for a couple days. Two days after I ended my cycle I started doing a PSMF, eating about 1,400 kcal below maintenance for 5 days. I cut almost all carbs except some oatmeal in the morning to help keep my cholesterol levels down for my upcoming blood-work tomorrow, and what little is in the cottage cheese in my shakes. I switched from eating once every 5 hours to every 3 hours. Protein is still about 1.5g/lb. I figured (hoped) that only 5 days wouldn’t result in to much loss of lean body mass since I just finished the heavy part of my cycle.

Since the kcal deficit total for the 5 days is only 7,000 I could only have lost 2lbs of fat/muscle. However, my body weight has dropped from 166 lbs to 159 lbs in 5 days. I’m guessing most of that is water from stopping the creatine and also reduced sodium intake because I’m not snaking all the time.

Even though 90% of what I’m eating are shakes (some steamed veggies and turkey for dinner) I’m not having any hunger. However, if I ever try this again I do need to hide the Cheetos and such since they look mighty tempting when I see them.

I will take measurements tomorrow before going to the lab to see what happened. I have measured my waist which dropped 1 inch and can visibly see that my arms don’t look as thick but are more defined. Personally I prefer the thicker look since I’m so small to start with I’d rather look thick like a powerlifter than cut like a bodybuilder. This just confirms my plan to maintain my BF around 12-15% once I finish bulking after a few years and switch to a maintenance routine.

I plan to go back to eating maintenance and taking creatine tomorrow afternoon and start my next cycle on Sunday. I’ll take measurements again after absorbing some creatine to see how much that and other factors other than LBM were effecting my size.

On the plus side I when jogging 6 miles yesterday and it was pretty much a breeze considering how long it’s been. I was able to maintain my normal ultra-run pace and even got a runners high. I felt high for most of the night but later at bed time my legs hurt like I’d run 6 miles up South Mountain and not along a riverbed.

I think I will try doing a Sun-Mon, Wed-Thu split with cardio on Tues this cycle to see how my body handles it. I can always drop the cardio when the Dead Lifts and Squats get heavy if I need to.

I stopped the short PSMF yesterday that I stared 5 days ago after I had my blood drawn. Started taking creatine and eating my normal meals and supplements again. My body weight bottomed out at 158 lbs down from 166 when I finished my cycle. I’m amazed at how much water and other things my body was retaining since based on the calories I cut I could only have lost a solid 2 lbs.

I took measurements to see how much all the water and other stuff had bulked or puffed up my body and found the following from the measurements I took at the end of the cycle:

Body weight: -8 lbs
Body Fat: no clear measurable change
Chest: -1.5”
Upper arms: -.5”
Forearms: -.25:
Neck: -.25”
Thighs: -.75”
Calves: -.25”
Hips: -.75”
Shoulders: -1.5”
Waist: -1”

I will take measurements again after the my first week of working out again to see how much they bounce back because of hydration and such.

I’m pretty shocked at the overall drop in all my measurements. Based on what I’ve read about it’s effects I’m guessing that much of it is do to stopping the creatine supplementation. It will be interesting to see what happens in a week or two.

Back